Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farnaby

Old October 6th, 2014, 05:21 AM
I'm looking for answers how you would plot out this scenario in the Storyboard.

I'm entering the Pathfinder module: The Harrowing and it is causing me headaches in the storyboard.

It is based in a sub-plane so it is a sandbox apart from a couple of things.

There are 9 areas, A-I. You land in area A, from there you can travel to any other area apart from I. From each area A-H you can travel to any other area, you do not have to go through a central area.

You collect tokens from each area, when you have 3 then 6 tokens, an event occurs. It doesn't matter which area you are in for the event to occur.

Only after collecting all 8 tokens can you get to area I.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I started with area A and had plots to and from A to B, C, etc.
I had a plot called "collected 8 tokens" that connected one-way from A and to I.

I then realized that you could go from B to F or G to D and every other combination possible. Also the 2 events had to be reached also from every area apart from I.

This sandbox is killing me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Farnaby is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 6th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I started entering data into RW trying to make everything as accurate as possible; but I've started shifting to making things as useful as possible now. You don't need to map every...single...detail necessarily. I see RW as a tool to help you and your players visualize and interact with the information more effectively.

For a situation where everything is linked to everything and the focus is really on the periodic events as the means to move the story forward, I'd break it into the events.

Arrive --> A,B,C... --> Event 1 --> A,B,C... --> Event 2 --> A,B,C... --> End

Make the A,B... separate items with an arrow from Arrive to each and from each to Event 1. If players go to A,C,D,G for Event 1, reveal them and move on to the next set. Rinse, repeat....
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old October 6th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I would start with area A, then lead to a central "gather tokens" box, and spoke all the areas from B-H from it as well as a "gather 3 tokens" box and a "gather 6 tokens" box and a "gather 8 tokens" box. From "gather 8 tokens" you'd lead to your area I. The spoked wheel suggests the ability to move to and from an area while still being a part of the "gather tokens" part of the story.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farnaby

Old October 6th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Hah!

Using the event as a plot point. <face-palm>
That's what I was missing.
I was just using locations....

Thanks!
Farnaby is offline   #4 Reply With Quote