Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

kbs666

Old November 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
This is a list of suggestions for features for Realm Works. Most are from the forum but some are my own.

Smart images
1) Permanent labels (IMO these should only appear at a certain zoom state or at some other trigger to reduce clutter but that is another thing that could be worked out)
2) links directly to other maps
3) image maps in RW (a defined region in an image that is a link)
4) allowing multiple kinds and colors of pins (should simply allow users to install their own BMP or whatever the image is somewhere).
5) Allow links to map pins, this would open the map and center it on the map zoomed at some level with the map center on the pin (perhaps with the pin also highlighted in some way)
6) Added in build 248 Reveal smart image by drawing a polygon rather than using the default method. Simply put a number of points on the screen and close the polygon by clicking the first point to reveal the area inside.
7) A number of items have been removed under the assumption that 64 bit will solve a lot of smart image issues

Storyboard
1) Bidirectional arrows.
2) Remember user preference for vertical or horizontal display
3) Allow arrows and boxes to have user defined colors, and boxes to have user defined shapes
4) Allow GM to mark the party's position in the storyboard and have that be persistent

Relationships
1) user defined relationships
2) expand the kinds of relationships available (1 & 2 were separate but related requests both included for completeness)
3) add a sibling relationship to the existing allowed family relationships.

Topics & Articles
1) individual reveal on a per character basis, not on per player basis as a player could have more than one character playing the same campaign
2) Player Journals, topic editable by individual player specific to individual character and links based on that character's reveal status. Should be revealed to the GM and that player automatically, can be revealed to other players based on the authoring player's wishes
3) Plurals assumes English. Allow user defined plural or at least include some of the more common ways plurals are made.
4) User defined snippet styles
5) Added in build 248 Place the predefined snippet styles on the format ribbon
6) Allow custom icons for topics
7) Allow adding prefixes and suffixes to topics during creation.
8) Allow the tooltip for a topic/article link to be a user defined text snippet defaulting to the overview snippet.
9) Added in build 247 Create and implement a setting where only the first occurrence of a link is created in each snippet.
10) Increase the width of tag and labeled text snippets.
11) Align all the text fields of labeled text snippets within a section.

Realm Management
1) Folders for realms
2) Archiving of realms
3) Added in build 250 Sync realm without closing realm

Calendars
1) Can we have calendars, please?
2) When we get calendars, please?, can we also get a better timeline?
3) Implement relative date/time snippets. These would be useful primarily in adventures where events are timed relative to the start of the adventure.

The one area I left out is player view. I've grown increasingly dissatisfied with it over the last couple of years as have my players. I've seen a few general complaints and a few specific issues but not a lot of "this will make player view better" type stuff and I'm really at a loss as well.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw

Last edited by kbs666; March 7th, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
kbs666 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 10th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Good list. I think it catches some of the more often asked for features; features that I imagine most if not all users would find useful.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 11th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Nice, kbs. Thanks for this!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old November 11th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Thanks for compiling the list, kbs. And, while we`re at it, another

+1

for the list in general, and the "Big C" in particular, from me.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn

Last edited by Greebo; November 11th, 2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: emphasis
Greebo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old November 12th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Huge +1 to this list! Thanks for taking the time to compile the greatest hits from the features we've all requested over the years.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old November 12th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Oh, yes, in case it wan't clear: +1 to all items on the list
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 12th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This is a list of suggestions for features for Realm Works. Most are from the forum but some are my own.
I add some more:

- let the player assign snippet styles to the snippets in category definition
- a word/grammar corrector
- a find and replace working over all the topics
- manua-.created labeled text snippet allowing for a longer label (as the one created inside manage category)
- please make Remove Protection really remove protection. If I choose to remove protection from a Global Category, I want to be able tu fully edit it as a user-made category. Same for tags and relationships.

Last edited by Cammagno; November 15th, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Cammagno is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 12th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
- please make Remove Protection really remove protection. If I choose to remove protection from a Global Category, I want to be able tu fully edit it as a user-made category. Same for tags and relationships.
This is a really really bad idea. You might not screw it up but you'd never be able to import anything using the default categories. Also anyone who did what you suggest who exported anything would destroy the realms of anyone who imported the material.

Just make a copy of the built in categories, make your changes and then hide the protected ones and use your new ones.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 13th, 2018, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This is a really really bad idea. You might not screw it up but you'd never be able to import anything using the default categories. Also anyone who did what you suggest who exported anything would destroy the realms of anyone who imported the material.

Just make a copy of the built in categories, make your changes and then hide the protected ones and use your new ones.
Listen, I know what you mean, but the remove protection is there for some reason, right? And it allows for deep editing, but with some flaws. As it is right now, you can change almost everything in an unprotected category (messing up everything if someone import it) but not some important things, such as the possibility to move one category as a subcategory of another one, and so on. I really would like that "remove protection", that should be used very carefully, I agree with you, allows full editing.

Generally speaking, the behaviour that you (and RW itself) suggest sure is the best one in most of the cases, and I also used it. But there are cases in which it's not practical, and I suppose that this is the reason which made Rob include Remove protection in RW.
For example, consider my actual Realm, which is set in a game system which is directly derived from Pathfinder but with some changes, and, more important, it's not in English, it's in Italian. This means that it uses 90% of the Pathfinder mechancs, but that I have to make 10% of changes (and if it was only this, I could do as you suggest), but I also have to translate *everything*. Doing this by editing the original categories and tags is an hard work, but doing it by dupicating each of them, recreating their hierarchical relationship and than hiding all the original categoris make it much harder. And with no benefit, because I will never export it for basic Pathfinder, it would be meaningless

Last edited by Cammagno; November 13th, 2018 at 02:37 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 13th, 2018, 03:55 AM
You're still asking for something that will inevitably do harm to someone. There is a harmless option available. It may annoy you but its there and it takes literally the same number of mouse clicks or keystrokes. I can see no benefit.

Further I do not want to derail this topic with this discussion. This is for features that are widely desired and this isn't one.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote