Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Dark Lord Galen

Old May 30th, 2017, 11:36 AM
Well Put Lexin.
I don't think any of the masses that have waited past patiently would deprive LWD of trying to generate revenue to stay solvent, its the approach that is less than creative or respectable to those that have stood by in support for years.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #21
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 30th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Let’s take a look at the facts and review the situation here…

First, a little context. A substantial portion of the Realm Works Beta team plays games other than Pathfinder, which was a purposeful decision on our part way back at the beginning. A vast majority of the Beta team focuses on large campaigns of their own creation, which again was a purposeful decision when we started. Consequently, only a limited portion of the Beta team will be highly motivated to heavily test the Content Market, which means we need to supplement the team with people that WILL be highly motivated to heavily test the Content Market – but only on a temporary basis, so we wanted a simple solution.

There were multiple ways for how to achieve this. The simplest and most expedient was to do it at PaizoCon. Why? Numerous reasons. BJ was going to be there and could easily handle it. There would be zero complications due to dealing with people across the forums, social media, and other places – all trying to get their names in via completely different methods (email, forum PMs, Facebook, etc.). And the time window was extremely narrow, so we didn’t have to worry about it outside of the weekend while BJ was in Seattle.

So we announced at PaizoCon that we were accepting a very small number of people who could get early access to the Content Market to help us uncover any final bugs before we open it to the public. In that very announcement, we explicitly reminded everyone that Kickstarter backers would be getting their material directly, without the Content Market’s involvement. Yet some people insist on taking umbrage over the belief that Kickstarter backers are being overlooked when that’s clearly not the case.

Then others jump in with the claim that we’re somehow prioritizing PaizoCon over getting the Content Market completed – based entirely on wild assumption. The fact is that NOT ONE DEVELOPER involved in the Content Market went to PaizoCon, EVEN ME – the guy that should be there for meeting with the Paizo exec team. We stayed home from PaizoCon and WORKED a bunch over the HOLIDAY weekend, striving to get the remaining pieces into place for the Content Market.

Still others lambast us for not giving preference to people here on the forums. Well, what about social media? I’m sure those folks feel the same way about their favorite vehicle, and our Facebook page for Realm Works has been around for many years. PaizoCon was simple and expedient for the reasons outlined above.

The bottom line here is that you guys are frustrated at the delays. I get that. So am I. Unfortunately, it’s reached a point where that frustration is boiling over in completely unfounded ways. Some of you have gone beyond the pale with wild assumptions, reading WAY more into very simple actions than is actually the case, and even refusing to acknowledge info we plainly provide (e.g. Kickstarter backers being snubbed). That’s not cool. Please GET THE FACTS and make your assessments based on those facts. If you aren’t sure what the facts are, please ask – and then give us the time to see the question and respond to it.

I’m working my ass off on this end, in spite of some nasty health issues that I’m still dealing with, and in direct violation of doctors’ orders. Why? Because I’m committed to getting this thing across the finish line. So is everyone else on this end. That said, if you’ve reached the limits of your patience with Realm Works, I understand. I’m extremely frustrated, too. But the reality is that we’re very close now, so you may want to give us just a little more rope.

I’m going to crawl back into my cave again and return to working on the Content Market. Hopefully, this thread can now leave the wild conjecture behind and focus on the facts henceforth…

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #22
Acenoid

Old May 30th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Hey!

Health should go first, man. Do what the doctor tells you to do. Hope you get better soon! Crossing fingers. If you are just before the finish line the team will make it while you get well

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #23
meek75

Old May 30th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Wow. That's all I can say at this point. Wow.
meek75 is offline   #24
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 30th, 2017, 04:03 PM
NO ONE at Paizo Con was needed to work on the Content Market. Those people stayed home and left me short staffed at a convention in hopes of getting closer to the launch. Like Rob, I just worked an entire holiday weekend while my family had birthday parties without me so that LWD could be there and keep our commitments and others could be where they were needed for the Content Market. So yes, we were very much thinking of our deadlines and our past promises when we chose our staff for Paizo Con. But as a company, we also have to think of the future. And the fact is, we can't simply stop appearing at functions we are obligated to be at and drop all promotions, if we do that there will be no future for any of our programs and none of us will have what we want. You don't have to like the facts any more than we do, but they are the facts.

So no, I am not ashamed. I am proud of our people and the long hours they put in, even during times when most employees would have days off to spend with their families.

As previously mentioned, KS backers will get their content the moment it's available. If we don't push our products and create interest we will have no company, so we will continue to do so just as we will continue to work overly long hours and do all we can to get you the items you want.

I have been home for less than an hour, I've barely seen my family and I'm going to bed, try not to burn the house down while I'm away.
BJ is offline   #25
Mystic Lemur

Old May 30th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks, rob and BJ. It makes sense to me.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #26
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 30th, 2017, 05:50 PM
So first, I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry for my rant. I'm also not sorry I bought RealmWorks!

As I said, I support LoneWolf. I love RealmWorks and HeroLab. This post is not a rant - I've said my piece about all that.

But here's the deal for me. I support LoneWolf, in part, with my money. Because I pay for your product and the service that comes with it, I get to complain when I'm unhappy.

I am your customer. Please don't chastise me for complaining when I'm not happy with what I see happening. And what I saw happening was based purely and entirely on what we were actually told - that 50 people would be given "early access to shop the Market once it's available."

I'm sorry you're sick, Rob. BJ, I'm sorry you had to work a holiday weekend and be away from your family. That sucks - I know, I've done it.

But I'm not sorry for being frustrated, and I'm not sorry for voicing that frustration. As your customer, I get to do that.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #27
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:28 PM
You should NOT be sorry for being frustrated. That's understandable. And I'm NOT chastising you for complaining when we screw up.

Here is exactly what everyone was told:

"Are you at Paizo Con? Excited about the upcoming Content Market? The first 50 people who stop by our booth can sign up for a special beta team to get early access to shop the Market once it's available!
Kickstarter backers will, of course, automatically get any content owed them as soon as it's available."

So the issue I cited is that the last sentence above was completely ignored by people. We were consequently villified for snubbing the Kickstarter backers when we explicitly reminded everyone that they were going to be getting everything separate from the Content Market (something we've also made clear before). We were then villified for sending developers to PaizoCon instead of working on the Content Market, even though we specifically kept everyone that's involved with the Content Market home so they could work on it.

I don't think we've ever told anyone they can't voice their displeasure when we screw up. Nor have we told folks that they can't vent their frustrations with the delays. There have been various threads centered on that sentiment over time.

What I take exception to is being blamed for things that simply are not true AND that we specifically took care to communicate and/or proactively address. So what I asked was for everyone to get the facts, honor those facts, and then vent on us based on those facts. Based on earlier posts in this thread, I get the feeling that some people out there may actually view that as somehow unreasonable.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #28
Sigil

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Rob your comments about the makes sense to me also. Thank you Rob, BJ, and the rest of the Lone Wolf Staff for putting in the long hour to make great products!!

Thank you again,
Scott
Sigil is offline   #29
Greebo

Old May 30th, 2017, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
(...)
A vast majority of the Beta team focuses on large campaigns of their own creation, which again was a purposeful decision when we started. Consequently, only a limited portion of the Beta team will be highly motivated to heavily test the Content Market, which means we need to supplement the team with people that WILL be highly motivated to heavily test the Content Market – but only on a temporary basis, so we wanted a simple solution.
(...)
Given the mood over here has been heated for quite a while now, it would probably have helped to give this tidbit of information beforehand to us.

Most of us know and appreciate that you guys at LWL"work your asses off" to finally get RW where it should be. And we understand that you have to generate enough revenue to pay for your living and holidays.

But I fear the frustration on both sides has started to dangerously hamper communications.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #30
Closed Thread