Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old November 17th, 2016, 01:45 PM
I'm working on my next video and was messing around with all the stuff you can do in the manage names dialogue and found some rather strange thing.

Once a true name is revealed it does not become the name of the topic if shown in player view. As a matter of fact the true name and alternative names do not appear to be connected to the topic at all in player view even if they are revealed.

Further if an alternative name is revealed but the base name is not then no snippets can be revealed in the topic.

This leads to some rather difficult naming issues. Consider someone building a Middle Earth realm. A certain ranger could conceivably have these names: Strider, Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar, Estel, Evyinatar and Thorongil.

Certainly depending on the intended POV of the realm almost any of those could be the topics name and several others, due to quirks of play, could be the name the players came to know a scruffy ranger by. But the first time the topic is revealed to the players the gig is up.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:24 PM
The first item sounds like a bug. The Player View code has to jump through a bunch of special hoops, so it's possible that it's not retrieving the name appropriately. I'll flag this to the team, although I'm stunned it hasn't been reported previously, so there may more complexity involved here.

The "public name" is a fundamental part of each topic. Every topic HAS to have a name that can be displayed within the UI everywhere. So the "public name" serves that purpose.

Allowing an arbitrary name to be designated as the ONLY visible name for a topic creates lots of complications within the underlying engine. More importantly, it creates complications for users within the UI. Everything to do with naming now becomes fiddly and confusing in order to handle the extremely rare case like you cited here. And it just doesn't make sense to make everyone pay that price for the special case if there is a reasonable, alternative solution that can be employed.

Fortunately, there IS a simple solution you can employ in this situation. And you've already done it in your post!

The public name of this scruffy ranger can simply be "Scruffy Ranger". Then all the other names become aliases (alternate names) for him, which can all be revealed independently of one another. You can also then designate which one to use as the "true name".

Is this ideal? Nope. But it works quite reasonably.

I've got this issue on our "special cases to improve handling" list, but it will entail a meaningful amount of work to deal with in the underlying engine, plus even more work to solve how to cleanly and smoothly handle this within the UI. So it's competing for resources against all the other things on our ridiculously long "wanted features" list.

Note! For all the armchair quarterbacks out there, it's not overly complicated to simply add this to the UI. What IS complicated is handling all the special situations that can arise in conjunction with this in the UI, and that makes solving this properly a non-trivial effort. As veteran software developers will attest, things that seem hard on the surface are often easy to solve, while things that seem easy are often quite hard. And there's also the old adage that devil is in the details. There are lots of those involved with this situation.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:31 PM
But none of the alternative names are revealed in player view no matter what I do.

For instance create a person as described named "scruffy ranger" then give him a true name "Aragorn" and an alias of "Strider" then try revealing the names in any combination you like and look at the topic in player view.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The public name of this scruffy ranger can simply be "Scruffy Ranger". Then all the other names become aliases (alternate names) for him, which can all be revealed independently of one another. You can also then designate which one to use as the "true name".
In my proof of concept testing of names I found this issue myself. Once I thought about it made sense why it works this way and how 'True' name should work. I do agree that "how" it works does not immediately jump out at you when first using names in RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Note! For all the armchair quarterbacks out there, it's not overly complicated to simply add this to the UI. What IS complicated is handling all the special situations that can arise in conjunction with this in the UI, and that makes solving this properly a non-trivial effort. As veteran software developers will attest, things that seem hard on the surface are often easy to solve, while things that seem easy are often quite hard. And there's also the old adage that devil is in the details. There are lots of those involved with this situation.
You should just make this your signature so its on EVERY single post you do.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
For instance create a person as described named "scruffy ranger" then give him a true name "Aragorn" and an alias of "Strider" then try revealing the names in any combination you like and look at the topic in player view.
This to "me" is a feature not a bug. I can "pre-reveal" alternative names before the game or during setup. But the players can NOT actually view them until I reveal the topic itself.

This is the exactly the same for the snippets. When I setup a room in a dungeon I "pre-reveal" sections of the room that I know the players will see right away. But they are not really revealed until I reveal the main topic name.

Means its usually "ONE" button click during a game instead of many...

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
This to "me" is a feature not a bug. I can "pre-reveal" alternative names before the game or during setup. But the players can NOT actually view them until I reveal the topic itself.

This is the exactly the same for the snippets. When I setup a room in a dungeon I "pre-reveal" sections of the room that I know the players will see right away. But they are not really revealed until I reveal the main topic name.

Means its usually "ONE" button click during a game instead of many...
But even when you reveal the public name the alias is not revealed in the player view. Try it out just to make sure it is not something specific to my installation.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Quote:
But even when you reveal the public name the alias is not revealed in the player view. Try it out just to make sure it is not something specific to my installation.
Not near RW to test right now. When you say Player View are you looking on the "left" side values? Or in a snippet of text that has a link to the alias? Cause I think from memory only the text link would then be shown to players. I don't think it shows in the left side "list" of names. Or its the fact that I always "hide" alias names in that list that I never noticed the issue.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 17th, 2016, 02:57 PM
My Player View doesn't have a left side tree list at all. Never has. Is there supposed to be one? All my Player View has is various windows corresponding to the topics I have designated for showing in Player View which I can drag around and resize. There is an empty left hand pane but it has nothing in it and nothing I do populates it.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old November 17th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Quote:
My Player View doesn't have a left side tree list at all. Never has. Is there supposed to be one? All my Player View has is various windows corresponding to the topics I have designated for showing in Player View which I can drag around and resize. There is an empty left hand pane but it has nothing in it and nothing I do populates it.
My confusion. I thought you meant when in "Player View Mode" of RW not the 2nd screen you actually show the players.

I was talking about how a Player using RW would see the data not the 2nd monitor. I rarely ever show text on the 2nd screen just images and maps. I honestly don't know how the 2nd screen is meant to display the data....

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old November 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Quote:
I remember noticing that there was nowhere to see revealed aliases in the PlayerView a few months ago, but I don't really use it in practice so I dismissed it as me just not knowing how at the time. Thinking back on it, I've never seen any revealed aliases appear in the PlayerView.
DaFranker is offline   #10 Reply With Quote