Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

kbs666

Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM
The places category doesn't have a list type. While it is easy enough to add one it should be a standard part of RW.

The bigger a realm gets putting things in lists becomes an organizational necessity. This includes places. For instance the geographic locations of a nation should all be in a list to simplify finding them amongst all the other topics under the nation.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:06 AM
Perhaps the assumption in the current RW design is that a hierarchy of places would define where each place was, rather than having separate collections of places.

Isn't it better to have a market as a child of the topic describing the settlement or district in which the market resides?
Farling is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
Consider a town under that town you have a
cast list of residents
group list of groups unique to the town
and then mixed in the various neighborhoods or individual locations in town. Rather than having them all under a single places list.

If the emphasis is on letting GM's do things the way that works best for them this should be available. It is annoying that I have to create the category every time I create a new realm.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
DaFranker

Old January 8th, 2017, 01:12 AM
+1 for the reasons kbs666 said...

...but also because sometimes, besides that, you have a "place" which is not strictly contained within specific other places. For example, a store chain / franchise, or a floating city-island, or exotic "locations" that defy space and are accessed from multiple places at once (the mage's pocket manor, for example, accessed from any door using one of four magical keys).
DaFranker is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 8th, 2017, 06:54 AM
For most of the uses of a "Places List", there are entries in other Categories that suit the purpose.. such as "Places of Interest" on the Community and various Region topics.

Store chains/franchises are represented as "Organization/Chapter" relationships.

I am not arguing against such a "Places list", just pointing out that there are existing ways that may work as well.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 8th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Why is this a point of contention? If the emphasis is on letting GM's do things the way that works best for them and some of us want a places list category for fairly obvious reasons then this should get added so we don't have to keep adding it to every new realm. If you don't want it you don't ever have to use it.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 8th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Hopefully starting tomorrow, you can create a blank realm just how you want, then clone it whenever you make a new one. I don't read contention here but rather a very welcome questioning of niche additions that may add bloat for a significant number of people. I like the idea personally, but I'd prefer that because viable solutions are already available, LW focus their effort on calendars and journals and other things that are not available instead, please.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 8th, 2017, 10:20 AM
You mean create a half dozen blank realms plus additional ones for any other rules sets I ever start using.

If this gets added to the default realm it saves me having to add it myself over and over again.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 10th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Another option is to add merchants to Region:Urban groups for the neighborhoods. This works extremely well for large cities with multiple districts but would likely suit your needs for villages as well with just one Region:Urban group to contain the village locations.

My containers are arranged as the following: Region:Geographical <-- Community <-- Region:Urban <-- Merchant

I do not put Community's into Region:Political's because those can change over time. Rather I link to them and create relationships.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 12th, 2017, 03:25 AM
I support this, as I recently thought about something similar.

While I generally use the hirarchy method of ordering places, I sometimes create places that have no fixed location yet. I have several Inns, Merchants and stores pre-created to choose from when I need it.

For example I have a clockmaker workshop with original (imho) characters that I created over the holidays. Now I could just put it in city A, B or C and either the PCs never encounter it or I need to create a quest just to utilize it.
My approach is to leave it in a list of stores without fixed location and whenever a PC needs something a clockmaker could sell, I pull it out of the list and stuff it in the city the PCs a currently in and there it will then find its permanent place.

I suspect I'm not the only DM working like this...
Merion is offline   #10 Reply With Quote