Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old January 1st, 2019, 09:50 PM
After all the updates I've missed, I notice with the latest update (249) that when editing an article, there are still two different options to click for bulleted lists, and two different options to click for enumerated lists. And if I recall correctly, each button uses different XML/HTML code than it's counterpart.

Is there a reason to have two different methods for each of these functions? I thought one method was supposed to be deprecated.
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old January 3rd, 2019, 11:54 AM
Hey-o! There are now two separate buttons for bulleted lists, but not enumerated lists.

The two new buttons added on the right apply a left margin adjustment to the entire paragraph (top) or bulleted list (bottom).

The primary purpose of these new buttons is the application of the left margin shift (indentation). The top button indents the paragraph. The bottom button creates a bulleted list with everything indented.

Let's get to indentin'!
Rone is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 3rd, 2019, 12:30 PM
I think you're talking about different options:

Realm Works - Lists.png

EightBitz is likely talking about the two pairs of list buttons shown in red and blue.

Rone is likely talking about one of the two red buttons and the green one.

(All of this is on the Format Ribbon.)

Last edited by Parody; January 3rd, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 3rd, 2019, 01:22 PM
The set of buttons on the right that are paired in the image above (blue/red) have been present for a VERY long time. So they are anything but new. The buttons at the far right that were referenced in Rone's reply above are brand new in build 246+. So the latter set of brand new buttons were assumed to be the ones referred to by EightBitz.

It sounds like EightBitz needs to chime in with some clarification on what he was actually referring to so that everyone is on the same page.

At least, now we have a very helpful picture to reference, which will make this process vastly easier.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 3rd, 2019, 04:57 PM
EightBitz didn't say anything was new; he/she said that after jumping up a number of versions that "there are still two different options". Only Rone was talking about anything being new.

Regardless, I'll ask on my own:

Hey LWD! As shown above in red and blue, there's two pairs of formatting buttons that appear (from their icon and text description) that they'd do the same thing, but are subtly different. Is there any plan to resolve that, perhaps by making them the same or removing one or the other of them? Should we avoid using one or the other to ensure future compatibility? Anything else we should worry about?

Similarly, it seems that recently you've added a third way to make bulleted lists (shown above in green). Should we be using this instead of either of the other two? Is there anything else to know other than indentation when comparing it to the other two?

(And yes, I'm being pedantic. Sorry. :)

FWIW, I use the ones on the left on the rare occasion I make bulleted or numbered lists.

Last edited by Parody; January 3rd, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 4th, 2019, 07:21 AM
Clarification:

Like Rob, I've had a lot of life issues, so it's been a while since I've used the interface. The buttons outlined by Parody in red and blue are the ones I'm referring to. If one set of those is new with 246, then something has changed.

What I recall, when I was doing a lot of input, and reverse-engineering the XML in the exports, is that one of set of those buttons would insert a bulleted list as plain text, with no XML or HTML to format the list. There would be XML and HTML surrounding the list, sure, but within the list itself, each item would include the bullet point as text, the text as text, then a CR/LF. Rinse and repeat.

Likewise with the enumerated list, one of the options would include the item number as plain text, the text as text, then a CR/LF. Rinse and repeat.

One set of buttons would format the list with the <ol> and <ul> tags, and one set would add the bullets and the numbers as plain text.
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old January 4th, 2019, 08:07 AM
To make things more clear, attached is a screenshot in RW, after the latest update.

Here's the exported code from the Overview section:
Code:
			<section name="Overview">
				<snippet type="Multi_Line">
					<contents>&lt;ul style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;"&gt;&amp;#xd;
						&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica;list-style-type:disc;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;B1, I1&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica;list-style-type:disc;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;B1, I2&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="font-family:Arial,Helvetica;list-style-type:disc;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;B1, I3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ul&gt;&amp;#xd;
					</contents>
				</snippet>
					<contents>&lt;ol style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;"&gt;&amp;#xd;
						&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="list-style-type:decimal;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;E1, I1&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="list-style-type:decimal;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;E1, I2&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;li class="RWSnippet" style="list-style-type:decimal;margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0pt;text-align:left"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;E1, I3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/li&gt;&lt;/ol&gt;&amp;#xd;
					</contents>
				</snippet>
			</section>
You can see from the code that the bulleted list uses a <ul> tag with an <li> tag for each item, and the numbered list uses an <ol> tag with an <li> tag for each item.

Now here's the code for the Profile section:
Code:
			<section name="Profile">
					<contents>&lt;p class="RWBullet"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;•	B2, I1&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="RWBullet"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;•	B2, I2&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="RWBullet"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;•	B2, I3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</contents>
				</snippet>
					<contents>&lt;p class="RWEnumerated"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;	E2, I1&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="RWEnumerated"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;	E2, I2&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;p class="RWEnumerated"&gt;&lt;span class="RWSnippet"&gt;	E2, I3&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</contents>
				</snippet>
			</section>
You can see that instead of using <ul> and <li> tags for the bulleted list, it has the literal text of "• B2, I1", "• B2, I2", and "• B2, I3".

Likewise, the numbered list is also lacking the <ol> and <li> tags, and in this version, it doesn't even include the number in the literal text, though I think older versions used to (but I won't swear to that).

The first method, in the Overview section, seems to be the proper way to do things. With the second method in the Profile section, I'm guessing that's a legacy thing that has been overlooked.
Attached Images
File Type: png RW Lists.png (183.3 KB, 5 views)
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2019, 11:54 AM
The buttons in the Styles section are intended as a convenience for users and nothing more. They reflect various formatting styles that we've adopted internally and have been using in the content we've been putting together. They are not the "stock" formatting provided by the framework we use for the RW desktop client (i.e. DexExpress). Since we didn't want to distort the "stock" versions, we added new versions that do what we wanted for our own purposes. This allows our guys to avoid the manual fiddling (and error prone nature) of doing multiple steps by instead just clicking a singe button to get the desired effect.

So...

Of the paired red/blue buttons, the set on the left are the built-in versions that will parallel what users would expect if this is were Microsoft Word or something similar. The set on the right are tailored to our needs and have been used by our guys for quite some time. In fact, they have been present for probably a couple years or more.

The newly added button in green adds the indent behavior, as well. We found that our guys were doing the indent as a separate manual step in many cases. So we added a button to help them in the future.

These extra buttons are intended as a convenience for anyone who chooses to use them. There is absolutely NO requirement for anyone TO use them, as they are purely additive. They reflect some of the formatting behavior that we've standardized on internally, and we've made them available to everyone, just in case someone wishes to use them.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old January 4th, 2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks Rob
ErinRigh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote