Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

CheekyScrubs

Old September 19th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Heya!

I've been working away on my DnD 5e world for a couple of months now, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make custom calendars to use for my world.

Can anyone help a brother out?

Cheers,
Frazer <3
CheekyScrubs is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old September 20th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Custom calendars are not yet available. Sometime after Content Market is all we know I think at this point. There are folks here on the boards that are AVID custom calendar proponents.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old September 20th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asandir View Post
Custom calendars are not yet available. Sometime after Content Market is all we know I think at this point. There are folks here on the boards that are AVID custom calendar proponents.
What he said!

The hope (amongst most of the calendar hopefuls) is that there will be some sort of new survey once the Content Market goes live in order to prioritize the next step(s) in development. Since the last survey was a couple of years ago, since it sort of makes to see what people are wanting next (now).
Grey Mage is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 20th, 2017, 05:49 PM
We know, since we've been told and seen it, that some sort of custom calendar feature is in some beta builds. We also know that the underlying code without the user interface has been in RW for a long time, since the early days of the program apparently. The problem seems to be finding a way to let people design custom calendars that Rob finds acceptable enough to release.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old September 30th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I, too, am SOOO hoping for this functionality soon. I like the simplicity of the Faerunian calendar in Forgotten Realms (all months 30 days, with holidays between to make up the extra 5 days a year, etc.). Makes more sense than a "real" calendar. LOL. I am trying to set up my campaign world with dates and am about ready to give up and just use good ol' gregorian calendar. Sigh.
Conandy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 30th, 2017, 10:47 PM
@Condandy, if you want to manage everything in RW, just go with Gregorian. You can set the year to whatever you want. If you don't, you have to manage calendars outside of RW. I have a number of customer calendars for my realm, which I track in a spreadsheet. In the beginning, I would copy dates over, but now I just keep them in a separate spreadsheet and made the Gregorian calendar the one used by one of the realms in my campaign. I enter everything in Gregorian.

Having custom calendars ads some nice flavor but rarely is crucial to a game. Most players can't be bothered to track date at all, much less on a fantasy calendar. It is almost always a DM task. It's nice to give some flavor, but you have to balance that with the extra work it places on you as the game master.

What you certainly do not want to do is start a campaign dependent on custom calendars and put it into Realmworks hoping that it will be supported soon. Lots of us have been waiting years.

While I would love to have custom calendars so that I had an easy way to make my games more immersive with little work, I have come to terms with the fact that this is not going to be possible in the near future. Instead, I enter all dates in Gregorian, so that I can take advantage of tools like the timeline feature in Realmworks, knowing that if they ever do release custom calendars, I'll have those dates entered and can convert them with the tool. And if they don't every release custom calendars, it's a bummer, but it doesn't prevent me from taking advantage of all the other features of the tool.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote