Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Greetings,

Another update to Hero Lab is available in the form of V1.1k. This new release fixes a small number of bugs that have been reported.

More importantly, this release includes the public preview of data files for the World of Darkness line of RPGs from White Wolf Publishing! Everyone who has been waiting to see what we've got coming for WoD can now take a peek and see what's in store. Please note that these are PREVIEW data files and are therefore not yet complete. We expect to further evolve and refine these data files prior to their release, which is targeted for GenCon in a mere six weeks!

As always, the complete list of program changes will be found in the readme.txt file installed with the update. The complete list of d20 data file changes will be found in the data file FAQ.

Have fun!

-Rob
rob is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Hi Rob,

I just had a look at the WoD preview...nice! I really like it.

A quick question in regards to licencing...I seem to recall that we would have to purchase a separate licence for d20 & WoD. Is this still correct? In other words, if I licenced HL now, will it work with WoD as well as d20?

Thanks,
Jim.
DMG is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM
At 01:08 AM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
I just had a look at the WoD preview...nice! I really like it.
Excellent!

Quote:
A quick question in regards to licencing...I seem to recall that we would have to purchase a separate licence for d20 & WoD. Is this still correct? In other words, if I licenced HL now, will it work with WoD as well as d20?
Your memory is correct. Purchasing Hero Lab includes access to ONE game system of your choice. Additional game systems will incur an additional fee, which is currently expected to be in the range of $15-20. We have to pay a royalty fee to the corresponding publisher for every user who chooses a given game system. We also have to pay for the development of the data files for each game system. Hence the need to charge separately for each set of data files.

If your interest lies only with the WoD files and not d20, you should hold off on purchasing HL until we officially release the WoD data files. When that occurs, you can purchase HL and activate it for the WoD game system, ignoring the d20 material. If you want to use both systems, you can purchase HL now for d20 and then purchase access to the WoD material when it is released for an additional $15-20.

The current plan for a WoD release is GenCon (i.e. mid-August). It's going to be tight, since there's still a lot to get done and tested, but we think we can hit that target.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dartnet
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hey BTW I cant activate my licence. It seems to be a problem with your servers.
dartnet is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM
At 09:45 AM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Hey BTW I cant activate my licence. It seems to be a problem with your servers.
We haven't had any other reports of this problem. Everything checked out fine on our end when I posted the release last night (I tested the new release myself), and everything checks out fine again now. So the servers appear to be working properly. That points to a connection-related problem on your end, which could be due to the introduction of a security tool (or update) that is now interfering.

The first thing to make sure of is that the problem isn't a transient connection issue. Go through the license activation wizard normally. If you receive an error, back up one step in the wizard and try completing the process again. Sometimes, everything will sort it out after a few retries.

If the retries don't work, we need to figure out what's causing the problem. Clearly, you've been able to successfully activate the license before (based on all your various posts in the past weeks). So when was the last time that you activated a new update? What has changed on your system since that time? For example, have you installed any new seciruty tools or updates? This could be difficult to know for sure, since many security tools now automatically update themselves without the user's knowledge, but it's a critical question. Anything that has changed is a likely source of the new problem.

If you're not sure what has changed, I recommend falling back to the previous release of HL for further verification. You probably have V1.1j on your system already. If not, you can grab it at the URL below.
http://www.lonewolfdevel/downloads/hl11j.exe

Try installing V1.1j and then activating the license for it. Since we know that this previously worked for you, it should work for you again. If it fails, then we know something new is on your machine and interfering with HL's internet access. If it succeeds, then there may be something bizarre that we introduced in the V1.1k update, although I have no clue what that might be (we only fixed a few bugs in this release and nothing related to the updates or licensing).

If the problem is due to something blocking HL on your computer, you ought to be able to work around it to get running again. You can use the "Manual License Activation" option under the "License" menu, which is designed to activate HL with a web browser when you don't have an internet connection. You'll just complete the entire process on your computer, but you'll use your web browser for internet access. At the end of the wizard, use your web browser on the same computer to access our server and upload your license information. When you retrieve the resulting file, simply save it into the proper location specified on your computer. Then you should be able to use HL in licensed mode.

This work-around should get you running, but it's best to solve what's interfering sooner instead of later. The number of variables of "what's changed" on your computer will hopefully be small at this point, making isolation of the problem source quicker. The longer you wait, the harder it may become to locate the culprit.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I got it manualey added.

I will see what I can do to fix it from here.
dartnet is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think it was a dam windows update. Grrrrrrrrrrr.............
dartnet is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Got it working.
dartnet is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM
At 02:37 PM 7/13/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Got it working. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Yeah! Since it's likely we'll have other users run into this sort of problem in the future, what did you do to get this fixed on your end? Any hints would be much appreciated, because a lot of users aren't technically savvy and look to us to help them sort things out. That's extremely difficult, but knowing what changes you made would let us relay that information on and hopefully get others up and running quickly in the future. :-)

Thanks in advance!!!
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dartnet

Old July 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Had to restore the computer to it's settings from Tuesday.
It appears that it was from my installition of Metacreator.
It's auto up date didn't like Hero Lab's.
dartnet is offline   #10 Reply With Quote