Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old January 18th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Don't forget to worry about Vogons building an interstellar highway too.
I guess you've never been hit by Obsidian Portal down-time then?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #261 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 18th, 2018, 03:04 PM
The ppl *inside* the company probably know what seems to be the best way forward though - looking at all the juicy sales data & forecasts

We as random outsiders are surely not representative enough..

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #262 Reply With Quote
Ian

Old January 18th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
No, HLOL is blocking RW
It's separate people doing most of the work for the two projects right now, actually. The overlap is only really with our poor beleaguered server experts, and most of that is with stuff that applies to RW in some way anyway, like our new and improved account management system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I am really looking forward to point 5, especially if it is integrated into the tactical console and I can apply buffs/debuffs on the fly to their live character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Most of that was already available simply by storing you .por files in a cloud storage service like Dropbox. The only thing HLOL is giving anyone is Android device capability and LWD's decision to only support Starfinder there.
The big thing we're looking forward to ourselves here is multiple people being able to apply effects to a character in real time simultaneously. For example: the GM activates a debuff on two PCs caught in an AoE, and you as the bard activate inspire courage to apply to the whole party, without the GM needing to directly handle the details of that ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
But you do have to worry about an application update on the web server which breaks the app for EVERYBODY for the weekend.
Downtime is definitely a thing to worry about, but that's why we're setting up HLO with an architecture that can be transparently flipped between multiple servers. Once we get any kinks in the initial setup worked out, there should be very little that can cause actual downtime aside from a physical problem with the server room or network.
Ian is offline   #263 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 18th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Ian, something has changed. One of the great things about RWup until about the last year was VERY rapid turnaround of bug reports. Now folks don’t even get an acknowledgement after weeks it seems. Also, we used to see tow or three program updates a month. Now it is like two or three months between upgrades.
Bidmaron is offline   #264 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 18th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The big thing we're looking forward to ourselves here is multiple people being able to apply effects to a character in real time simultaneously. For example: the GM activates a debuff on two PCs caught in an AoE, and you as the bard activate inspire courage to apply to the whole party, without the GM needing to directly handle the details of that ability.
The thing is, there are any number of things that might keep such an ability from applying to the whole party. Just blanket applying it is wrong.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #265 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 18th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Quote:
The thing is, there are any number of things that might keep such an ability from applying to the whole party. Just blanket applying it is wrong.
Not to mention that the described "Feature" isn't one on the radar for the bulk of the game settings in herolab, except Starfinder.

So no idea when that would actually see the light of day.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #266 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old January 19th, 2018, 12:32 AM
K126 and Acenoid: +1000 from me, too.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #267 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 19th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Your quote of Ian specifically gives an example of only applying a "buff" to two party members. I have to assume you just read too quickly because Ian never says "blanket" apply all is the only logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Not to mention that the described "Feature" isn't one on the radar for the bulk of the game settings in herolab, except Starfinder.
Actually this feature is eventually coming to all game systems for HLO. d20 can make heavy use of the buff/debuff features and the tactical console. Pathfinder will finally have group controlled Kingdoms just like how a Starfinder space ship is group controlled.

This "feature" opens the door for a group controlled "treasure character" allowing the party to easily track party equipment. A server based solution, sorry cloud based, opens allot of future possibilities for everyone to make use of not just Starfinder groups.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #268 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 19th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Actually this feature is eventually coming to all game systems for HLO. d20 can make heavy use of the buff/debuff features and the tactical console. Pathfinder will finally have group controlled Kingdoms just like how a Starfinder space ship is group controlled.

This "feature" opens the door for a group controlled "treasure character" allowing the party to easily track party equipment. A server based solution, sorry cloud based, opens allot of future possibilities for everyone to make use of not just Starfinder groups.
Sorry Shadow, (and with the utmost respect for your community efforts) there are ALOT of eventualities (insert "soon" here) that have been "coming" for some time now, and while it would certainly be of help (glad to hear D20 love), none of the systems have been moved into Herolab online save Starfinder and in all likelihood, PF is likely the next.

Further, if/when the PF core is ever moved, the sheer mass of that undertaking (with all the supplements) will impact all other game systems creating a "potential" for more "soon" opportunities and impacting the "other soon elements" that have been languishing in the "soon" box for the Content market to resolve .

Again, nothing but respect for you, but my cinacisim for LWD promises are not without merit.
But will concede your "ear to the wall" comment does at least show its "on the radar" somewhere.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; January 19th, 2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: radar
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #269 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 19th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Your quote of Ian specifically gives an example of only applying a "buff" to two party members. I have to assume you just read too quickly because Ian never says "blanket" apply all is the only logic.
?
No I quoted exactly what he wrote. I do not appreciate the implication. He wrote "you as the bard activate inspire courage to apply to the whole party" and I responded to that. If I wanted to respond to the stuff about 2 PC's being debuffed I would have included it in the quote.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #270 Reply With Quote