Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old July 27th, 2019, 04:15 AM
I am looking to make some edits to and create some new content for Ultimate Campaign style content (And use content from 3pp sources).

I've searched the forums and there really is nothing on how the editor works for scripting and such. I've searched for scripting examples and so on and almost nothing exists. None of the existing paizo content uses scripts or pre-reqs its quite frustrating.

Did I miss a thread? If not is there a list of example code anywhere? (I learn mostly by looking at code and picking apart what it does).

As for my specific questions:

1) How do I check if a [S]kingdom[/S]/settlement has a specific alignment?
1a) Is there a way to set settlement alignments different from a kingdom alignment?
2) How do I check how many a specific building exists in a settlement (or anywhere in the kingdom)?
3) I'd like to add additional TYPES of edicts, is there a way to do this without editing the XML code? Can I attach a CFG tab to a kingdom?
4) Rooms can have augmentations, but it seems I cannot add augmentations to entire buildings, is this correct or am I missing something?

I have seen their have been several people who have tried to create Ultimate Rulership, has anyone been successful or has it just been abandoned each time it was attempted?

Thanks in advance, I will be sharing my extra options for kingdom building content with my next content release.

Last edited by TobyFox2002; July 27th, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 28th, 2019, 01:21 PM
I have also looked a bit at 3rd party content for the Kingdom rules, specifically Ultimate Rulership. The issue, as I understand it, is that some of the rules are more like Pathfinder Unchained - alternates, rather than expansions. For example, the Edicts rules replace the operations of the UC Edits, rather than expand or alter them slightly.

With HeroLab becoming HeroLab Classic, maybe it would be possible to devote some resources to expanding the Editor into areas that are currently "hack the XML" tasks?

Another I can think of is casting implements. I've prepared a part of the Genius Guide to Runestaves and Wyrdwands, but cannot complete it with my current knowledge. The issue there is that these items operate like custom Weapons and Armor (as in, there are enhancement bonuses, and abilities that operate as equivalent to enhancement bonuses, and abilities that are a flat gold cost to add) ... but the base price is 1500 gp instead of 1000 or 2000 gp. I'd like to be able to replicate the UI for custom weapons and armor with these as a new category. The closest I have been able to come is to make them a type of weapon.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 28th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I have also looked a bit at 3rd party content for the Kingdom rules, specifically Ultimate Rulership. The issue, as I understand it, is that some of the rules are more like Pathfinder Unchained - alternates, rather than expansions. For example, the Edicts rules replace the operations of the UC Edits, rather than expand or alter them slightly.

With HeroLab becoming HeroLab Classic, maybe it would be possible to devote some resources to expanding the Editor into areas that are currently "hack the XML" tasks?

Another I can think of is casting implements. I've prepared a part of the Genius Guide to Runestaves and Wyrdwands, but cannot complete it with my current knowledge. The issue there is that these items operate like custom Weapons and Armor (as in, there are enhancement bonuses, and abilities that operate as equivalent to enhancement bonuses, and abilities that are a flat gold cost to add) ... but the base price is 1500 gp instead of 1000 or 2000 gp. I'd like to be able to replicate the UI for custom weapons and armor with these as a new category. The closest I have been able to come is to make them a type of weapon.
Yeah, I'm tackling Ult Rulership right now.. The replacement edicts, I've already completed coding those 100%. I just removed the default options added my own and updated the output.. I am not really happy with some of it because the kingdom content doesnt have the flexibility required in terms of Tags and fields, perhaps there is a way I can add additional tags to exsisting groups or create new fields for things, I dont know, I have not messed around with any of that. The closest I've ever come to that is twiddling with a code snippet to add a seventh ability score to HL for Appearence (book of erotic fantasy). It didn't go very well, mostly for cosmetic reasons. I didn't like that it completely rearranged the order of the ability scores. Rather petty i know.

Anyways, I want to try and create the Ult. Rulership both as a learning exercise for some of HL more advanced coding concepts and because.. Well Ult. Rule is an awesome book.

Right now I am having trouble with the hexes and settlement gizmos, I need to be able to remotely fiddle with fields and tags on buildings and improvements, but I cant quite get as far down as the buildings, I can target (transition?) to settlements and pick out settlements but I cant seem to be able to transition to the buildings and improvements in specific settlements (I have another post asking about that).
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 29th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Settlements and Buildings have additional "alternate" rules that replace how the standard rules work. Ultimate Combat does some things with armies (splitting the OV into separate Melee and Ranged values, for example) that also re-write the rules rather than expanding on them.

It is these kinds of things that would benefit from the Editor being opened up.

Edit: Saw your posts in the other thread after this. These are the kinds of things that would be "risky" if even possible to tinker with, so that's why I am suggesting they would make good expansions for the editor.

Last edited by Silveras; July 29th, 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 29th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Edit: Saw your posts in the other thread after this. These are the kinds of things that would be "risky" if even possible to tinker with, so that's why I am suggesting they would make good expansions for the editor.
I am unsure why they would be risky? I am not intending to make any changes to the base code. The only think I might possibly want to alter would be adding some additional information to the Kingdom details panel just under wher it says, "River Hexes"

And something like that has been done safely before; though I dont know how to do it yet. I saw something like that for showing the number power points as part of the community DSP psionics stuff.

I intend to use scripts, tag assignments and the cfg panel to create new options. Though, there are a few areas where I may need to replace certain procedure calls with my own if I cannot slip my math into those.

Or do you mean legally risky?
TobyFox2002 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 29th, 2019, 09:12 PM
No, I mean risky in the sense that any time someone starts working with the underlying XML, because it is not exposed in the tools to be altered safely, there is added risk of unanticipated consequences, or that some other 3rd party or custom elements may suddenly break. That risk is reduced (though not eliminated) by the elements being exposed in the editor.

You may well succeed... I am just saying that making changes outside the editor carries additional risk, and I would prefer that more bits be exposed for "safer" editing.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
willwrk4internet

Old August 1st, 2019, 03:28 PM
I have really enjoyed the Ultimate Rulership content from Legendary games. Has anyone looked at Ultimate Strongholds, which is a companion book?
What I really mean to ask is whether anyone has tried coding that into the HL editor?
willwrk4internet is offline   #7 Reply With Quote