Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

Tombking

Old March 30th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
It's the exact same problem as discussed above. Unless you have Adminsitrator privileges, Windows will block operations on files beneath the "Program Files" folder. That includes compiling data files. So you need to run with Administrator privileges with AB installed beneath "Program Files".
And this is what windows is trying to stop with vista and win7. You are writing user space data here so it should be written to the local user settings and not to \program files\applicationfoo\usersettings. There should be no reason to write to \program files after install of the program outside of updates to the program itself. I can even give it a pass to run as admin when first loading new data files but after that it should be done and not needed.

My question for my first post is why only with Data files for one game system (the new wh40k files) and none of the others. It didn't do this with the previous version of the data files. It doesn't do this with Fantasy, Blood Bowl, the test systems, etc just the new 40k files.
Tombking is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombking View Post
And this is what windows is trying to stop with vista and win7. You are writing user space data here so it should be written to the local user settings and not to \program files\applicationfoo\usersettings. There should be no reason to write to \program files after install of the program outside of updates to the program itself. I can even give it a pass to run as admin when first loading new data files but after that it should be done and not needed.
I'm not contesting this. If you read my other posts on the issue, you'll see that the way AB operates has been in place for more than a decade. This issue affected almost none of our users until the release of Windows 7 and its widespread adoption. As such, we focused our energies on features that actually made a difference to a large percentage of our users. This wasn't one of them, which was an error in hindsight. Everything I've suggested is a workaround until we get this properly addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombking View Post
My question for my first post is why only with Data files for one game system (the new wh40k files) and none of the others. It didn't do this with the previous version of the data files. It doesn't do this with Fantasy, Blood Bowl, the test systems, etc just the new 40k files.
As I thought I indicated in the other threads, the problem should occur with any game system that gets updated with new content. The data files are compiled once whenever a change is detected. After that, the existing compiled files are used. The error occurs when compilation is unable to complete.

Try the following. Use Windows Explorer and locate the Blood Bowl data files. You'll find them beneath the "data" folder that is beneath where you installed AB. Delete the file "core.abz". Now try reloading the game system. The data files will need to be recompiled, which should result in the error occurring.

If you try the above and the error doesn't occur, then I may be overlooking something here. Please give it a try and report back.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Tombking

Old April 4th, 2010, 01:39 PM
actually blood bowl loaded/installed to user\...\localstore\... so it loaded to user space happily it does not have a copy under c:\program files(x86)\...

i deleted the core.abz and it recreates it just fine same for the fantasy battle files as well.

i am only having this with the 40K files.

i know there were some minor tweaks for uac/admin rights stuff between vista and 7 but it ran just fine on vista for me but I honestly don't remember if i put in c:\program files or at c:\

one thing that might work better is installing to c:\user\myusername\armybuilder as that would put it all in userspace directly.

i will try that before the week is out.
Tombking is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
More than likely, the 40K files were downloaded when AB was automatically launched by the installer. The Blood Bowl files were probably downloaded during a subsequent launch. Since AB was auto-launched with Administrator privileges by the installer, those files were placed beneath "c:\program files", while Blood Bowl was not.

Try the following:
1. Delete the "ab40K5" folder beneath "c:\program files" that contains the 40K data files.
2. Launch AB and the 40K system should now be missing.
3. Download and import the 40K data files anew.
4. Verify that the 40K files are now saved beneath "c:\users" instead of "c:\program files".
5. Try loading the 40K data files. They should now compile and behave properly without and need for Administrator privileges.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Tombking

Old April 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM
That worked. Wiped the files in both places. Started it back up as user and it works again.
Note to self never run it in admin mode again except for updating the program itself.
Tombking is offline   #25 Reply With Quote