Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old February 17th, 2017, 02:26 PM
I got the message about high memory usage and checked my fonts folder. It is at 473 MB. I have several maps and pictures in jpg format, but I don't think it's a lot. And I had five tabs open from the last session. Are there other possibilities?
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 17th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I'm another data point. I keep crashing due to memory usage. I've deleted most of my fonts but they were all stock install so it's a little frustrating that RW is giving me error messages on a recent Win10 install. I bet others are feeling the pain too.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kathorus

Old February 17th, 2017, 11:27 PM
I got that once, a few weeks back. I did nothing other than reboot and haven't gotten it since.
Kathorus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 18th, 2017, 12:04 AM
I just ignore the font warning I get every time I start RW and have felt no ill effects from it (yet... - I hope I am not jinxing myself...).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:18 PM
RW something hangs up on me, when I have several large pictures or maps in the player view. But I'm also using an old notebook with only 4GB RAM for the gaming table (Samsung 7 series from 2013). RW is often sluggish on that machine, but then its old hardware.
Merion is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I got the message about high memory usage and checked my fonts folder. It is at 473 MB. I have several maps and pictures in jpg format, but I don't think it's a lot. And I had five tabs open from the last session. Are there other possibilities?
The total number of images you have in your realm is immaterial to memory usage. If you have multiple images open in different tabs simultaneously, especially maps, that will greatly increase your memory usage. And if those images are higher resolution, the problem is exacerbated. The Player View mechanism is often a key contributor, since GMs will frequently have multiple maps and images shown within the Player View at the same time. It all adds up.

Please note that the storage format for images is irrelevant, so that fact than image is JPEG doesn't matter any longer. Images are compressed heavily when stored. Once the image is loaded into memory for actual use, there is NO compression whatsoever. The images consume their full size when in memory. And if you're using maps, then there are multiple layers involved that each consume the full size of the image.

So the issue may simply be the number, size, and nature of images you've got actively in use.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote