Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Realm Works Special News Update

Greetings from Lone Wolf Development! Many of you have been anxiously awaiting the Realm Works Content Market, and we’re pleased to announce your wait is almost over. The pieces are falling into place, and we’re on track to launch the Content Market in December!

In mid-November, we’ll be deploying a major Realm Works release with numerous refinements and quality-of-life enhancements that offer something for everyone. This release will also include critical new aspects of the Content Market for the Beta Team to test. From there, we’ll focus on tying up loose ends and fixing whatever issues the Beta Team uncovers, which we anticipate will take a number of weeks.

Those of you who’ve been following our Realm Works journey are likely sensing a shift from our previous discussions regarding the Content Market. For example, there’s no mention here of the multi-phase rollout that we previously outlined. The truth of the matter is, our vision for the Content Market was too grand to be created in the time frame we gave ourselves. We wanted perfection! We wanted bells and whistles and all the things! Unfortunately, all those things take time – especially for a team of our limited size.
Shortly after Gen Con, we had an epiphany. If we adjusted our approach, took a small detour, and scaled back the initial sophistication of the Content Market, we could quickly deliver the core functionality we’ve been promising. This would give users a solution NOW and allow us to continue working toward our original vision without dragging out the release and trying your patience further. So that’s exactly what we’ve done! The revised Content Market puts the core features and published content you’ve been waiting for into your hands as swiftly as possible. We’re pretty excited about this, and we hope you will be too!

Alongside these many improvements, we’ll be introducing new editions of Realm Works! Restructuring the current product options allows us to offer something for everyone, making sure those who like to keep it simple can get started with Realm Works inexpensively. And, of course, users who want it all will be able to purchase everything they need via the new editions as well.
Finally, we’ll be making adjustments to some of our terminology. For example, you’ll start to see changes to the name used to define our “Cloud Service” options. FAQs, future updates, and sales pages will be revised to use the term “Server Access” instead, as we feel this more accurately describes what we offer. In addition, users who are leveraging Server Access now can expect us to resume the clock for everyone early next year.

We look forward to reaching the end of this long journey, so we can begin the ongoing adventure of making Realm Works the best campaign management tool it can be. Keep an eye out for smaller updates with additional details over the next couple months on our website, forums, and social media. Thank you again for your continued support and patience!

Kickstarter Backer Notes

We’ll be delivering the content promised to Kickstarter backers as it becomes available to the public. Please look for more details on this subject through Kickstarter updates as we get closer to the actual release. In addition, all Kickstarter backers who elected to eschew Server Access (i.e. Pack Members) will be granted the service free for a limited time when we launch the Content Market. This will ensure you have the opportunity to give it a try, plus it will enable backers who have been asking to obtain Server Access the ability to do so.

New and Improved Features

While our primary development focus has been the Content Market, we have a plethora of new features headed your way for campaign management as well! Here’s a sampling of the new capabilities you can expect to see in the upcoming November and December releases:

• Copy a complete realm
• Export a realm, or a portion of a realm, for sharing with other users (or for use in a separate realm of your own)
• Import shared content from other users and weave it all together into your own realm
• Detailed support for pre-defined game system structures, with initial support for Pathfinder, D&D 5E, and Savage Worlds
• Share game system structure definitions among users, making it easy to leverage the work of others to quickly adopt tailored structures for assorted game systems
• Automatically apply name fixups across all content whenever a topic or article name is changed
• Streamlined workflow for adding content to Player View when showcasing your world to your players during the game
• Optionally show the names of selected map pins within Player View
• Optionally disable the automatic creation of default text snippets within new topics and articles
• Quickly add plural versions of names to topics and articles (e.g. “Orc” becomes “Orcs”)
• Free content for everyone, including Isle of Kandril (a small setting and adventure we commissioned from Super Genius Games), We Be Goblins from Paizo, and hopefully some additional surprises that we’re still finalizing the details on
• And much more…

Last edited by BJ; October 14th, 2016 at 06:06 PM.
BJ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old October 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM
+1 for getting copy, export and sharing of realms
Grey Mage is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 14th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Christmas presents all round. Sounds great guys.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
QueenOfWinter

Old October 14th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Fantastic news! Excited to see it all come together!

I tweet about gaming and my dogs. Follow me on the Twitters.
QueenOfWinter is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 14th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Looking forward to testing this!
Nikmal is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old October 14th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Can you please provide more detail about exactly what functionality will be left out of the Content Market to get this release out?

What functionality did you decide to cut for this release?
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old October 14th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Can you please provide more detail about exactly what functionality will be left out of the Content Market to get this release out?

What functionality did you decide to cut for this release?
This!
And what the differences between "New editions" will be.

As for the date: We will see when it will be actually available.
Tharmiones is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 14th, 2016, 11:15 PM
There will be a number of additional updates forthcoming in the weeks ahead. These updates will outline the new editions and delve into further detail regarding the new features and enhancements you can expect.

To be honest, I don't anticipate that we'll be spending any time on what capabilities are not yet present. We'll be focusing on the capabilities that ARE present, since there's going to be a LOT of new stuff you can do with Realm Works, not to mention the Content Market. Some of the things we originally planned to do one way will now be accomplished via another approach. And we still intend to continue working towards the original vision, so the entire product should evolve into everything we planned. The key difference will be that you'll all have a wealth of new capabilities that should give everyone the vast majority of things they're wanting and expecting. That will eliminate the existing tension caused by everyone being stuck waiting while we're working to create the grand vision.

As to the dates, I don't begrudge anyone for being skeptical. We intentionally waited to announce anything until we were just weeks away from releasing something. So we're pretty confident we'll hit the dates we've stated. Either way, it won't be very long before we'll all know for sure.

Last edited by rob; October 14th, 2016 at 11:24 PM. Reason: changed a word
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 14th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Very much looking forward to this!

Though personally I really, really can't stand seeing "and much more..." on a bullet-point list, because every single time I've seen it (anecdote ahoy!) it's been either one tiny extra thing, or utterly impossible to determine after the fact.

Not sure I've ever seen it from LWD, so I'll try really hard not to hold that against anyone, but my initial response was "ugh, groan".

And just to clarify: do copy, import, and export require Server Access? Pretty sure I know the answer, but just want to be certain.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2016, 01:42 AM
@Chemlak: There's a healthy list of "much more", including one thing that I'm certain you will personally view as a very good thing. That list will be detailed in upcoming update(s) here on the forums, but it made no sense to list them all in the announcement we just put out. We just wanted to give everyone a sample of what's coming.

Copy, import, and export do NOT require Server Access. This is a major shift from our previous plans, and it derives from the new approach we're taking. There are some profound benefits with this new approach, as well as some significant liabilities. It's a double-edged sword. My guess is that most users here on the forums will view this favorably, but the overall RW user base may ultimately think differently. Only time will tell...
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote