Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Silveras

Old June 12th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiordhraoi View Post
I agree on the need for web access - it was one of the promised features that made me kickstart/buy Realmworks. The primary attraction of Realm Works for me was to be able to use it as a place to publish a lot of detail and let my players be able to see what details have been revealed. I run an ongoing, 15 year game with a rotating character base, so being able to make historical story information available to players is a huge draw for me. As it is, the time investment needed for me to be able to put things into realmworks just isn't worth it.

Crossing my fingers that they supply that feature soon. As is, Realmworks has pretty much been gathering dust on my PC while I wait for the primary promised feature I wanted.
So, first off, I don't recall web access being "promised" for the Kickstarter...more like "suggested as a future enhancement". Reviewing the kickstarter page now, I see no mention at all of web-based access to the content.

Second, the web access that has been briefly discussed would begin with read-only player access that would be more limited than the access from the desktop Player Edition.

Some period of time after that, some GM access might come. The discussion in the past indicated that the desktop application would always be "ahead" in terms of features and access; new features would migrate to the web after the desktop.

Naturally, since what has been discussed in the past was all tentative, it is subject to revision as time goes by.

Having said all that, leaving RealmWorks idle because it doesn't have "the one key feature" you want is misguided, I think. You mentioned that the input time isn't worth it. That time investment will not change much if/when web access is available. You're STILL going to need to spend time learning the application, organizing how you want to present your data, and putting it in. As part of this, you may well need one or more attempts before it is "just the way you want it". Your players can have access now to the Player Edition and can have all the features you talked about being what you want.

"a place to publish a lot of detail and let my players be able to see what details have been revealed. I run an ongoing, 15 year game with a rotating character base, so being able to make historical story information available to players is a huge draw for me." That's all in the application now. Just not web-based.

If you're on a non-Windows platform, that's a bit different, but you did not mention that.

So rather than leave RealmWorks idle while waiting for a feature that may be years out (the ones actually promised in the kickstarter are just now nearing fulfillment, 4+ years after the original estimated delivery date), I would say you should be using the time in order to conquer the learning curve and working out your organizational plans.
Silveras is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old June 12th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
So, first off, I don't recall web access being "promised" for the Kickstarter...more like "suggested as a future enhancement". Reviewing the kickstarter page now, I see no mention at all of web-based access to the content.

Second, the web access that has been briefly discussed would begin with read-only player access that would be more limited than the access from the desktop Player Edition.

Some period of time after that, some GM access might come. The discussion in the past indicated that the desktop application would always be "ahead" in terms of features and access; new features would migrate to the web after the desktop.

Naturally, since what has been discussed in the past was all tentative, it is subject to revision as time goes by.

Having said all that, leaving RealmWorks idle because it doesn't have "the one key feature" you want is misguided, I think. You mentioned that the input time isn't worth it. That time investment will not change much if/when web access is available. You're STILL going to need to spend time learning the application, organizing how you want to present your data, and putting it in. As part of this, you may well need one or more attempts before it is "just the way you want it". Your players can have access now to the Player Edition and can have all the features you talked about being what you want.

"a place to publish a lot of detail and let my players be able to see what details have been revealed. I run an ongoing, 15 year game with a rotating character base, so being able to make historical story information available to players is a huge draw for me." That's all in the application now. Just not web-based.

If you're on a non-Windows platform, that's a bit different, but you did not mention that.

So rather than leave RealmWorks idle while waiting for a feature that may be years out (the ones actually promised in the kickstarter are just now nearing fulfillment, 4+ years after the original estimated delivery date), I would say you should be using the time in order to conquer the learning curve and working out your organizational plans.
This!
ErinRigh is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 12th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
I think it's not an unreasonable assumption in 2013 for an application featuring "cloud service" to have web-based access to that content. It was definitely a thing early-on, but fell off the radar. LW even had a web developer on staff IIRC, but he/she departed at some point after the initial release was delayed.

But anyway, there was going to be the payed client access (which we eventually got in the player client), and a free web-based view of your content (which has not been released). Both were slated for release sometime after the initial v1.0 release.

I know the ability to share electronic content with players was one of the big draws of the tool for me -- and the reason I went with the Alpha Wolf backer level was the ability to share that content via the web. Still hoping for that, and the remaining backer rewards.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)

Last edited by Kairos; June 12th, 2017 at 05:23 PM.
Kairos is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Inglorin

Old June 13th, 2017, 04:00 AM
It can't be too hard to write a php script or something like that, that takes your RealmWorks XML-Export and generates web pages from that.
Inglorin is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
HDScorpio

Old January 22nd, 2019, 09:22 AM
Possible work around for remote users.
Using your DM version I believe you can place the player view on a second monitor, then using conferencing software share that screen with the remote users.
HDScorpio is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 22nd, 2019, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorin View Post
It can't be too hard to write a php script or something like that, that takes your RealmWorks XML-Export and generates web pages from that.
The export tool (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=59981) supports generating HTML

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 23rd, 2019, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDScorpio View Post
Possible work around for remote users.
Using your DM version I believe you can place the player view on a second monitor, then using conferencing software share that screen with the remote users.
Yes, I've done this when I was running a game with most players at the table and one who was remote. Worked well.

But that is not what the Web version will be for. The Web version will not be for live play, but rather will give players access to revealed content between games (or for lookup during games). The DM will not need to be running Realmworks.

IIRC, they made enough progress to give a sneak peak but the Content Market issues sidelined it. Hopefully Web view will be come out not too long after the Content Market is released.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 24th, 2019, 08:05 AM
My big question is, what is their revenue stream from web content/access? Is it going to have ads in it? Are they going to charge a subscription fee for web access to get rid of ads?

I understand the revenue stream from the player edition and the GM edition, but not the web based access. As it has been discussed, anyway.
Viking2054 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 24th, 2019, 09:26 AM
I would assume there would be ads or a subscription model but its never been discussed.

Tbh from my experience ads are a terrible revenue stream unless you're getting millions of page views per day so I would lean towards some sort of subscription.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old January 24th, 2019, 10:08 AM
Hmmm. My recollection (or maybe my assumption?) was that the web-view was going to be an alternative for those who didn't want to or couldn't buy the Player version. Much more limited functionality than the actual program - just a way to look at the information, with no ability to enter any data, keep a journal, etc.

Using it as a revenue stream was never discussed that I can recall. Not sure why anyone would pay a subscription fee when it would be cheaper in the long run to pay the one time fee for the Player Version.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #30 Reply With Quote