Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old July 28th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
...but for players a simple read-only web view would be a great start.
Particularly for those players (and I have one) who will persist in using Macs!

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 28th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
You are correct, of course. But there is a huge difference between having to set up a website, export everything, upload it and repeat that process after avery change and having all that work automatically in the background.
I could probably set up a scrip to do it if its that important. The pages would look terrible, think Javadoc if you've ever seen that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 29th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Christ, I would rarely use character reveal if I had players who would use the RW player edition... A lot of work a lot of updating.

Of course its useful for groups, and in those rare circumstances, where I need to provide a topic information to a certain player.

All those different colours would proably be confusing though and I would mix them up anyway. Imagine 2 groups with 5 players each... I like the OPs version better.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
nodice

Old July 31st, 2017, 10:40 PM
As a GM with players who like to be able to work independently or in smaller groups than the whole party, I have been forced to run with other options like Roll20 since it has individual player reveal functionality. But I wish this weren't the case.

I believe Realm Works is a far better tool over all, with so much more to give. RW beats the competitors in almost every other facet, other than tabletop management integration, which I know, RW doesn't set out to do.

However, my extended group of players have been given secret side notes and allowed sole access to the map that they themselves stole and countless other 'only them' pieces of information ever since we were playing pen and paper AD&D as kids. It has become a loved staple of all of our games.

I know I'm just one user and the community's plans should come first. This is why I have just been checking back every 6 months or so over the years since I first bought RW to see when this feature will finally be considered important enough to add.

Players are not always 'a party' and treating them to be always as such severely limits the way RPGs can be run in RW. Maybe some groups are always a party, good for them. But that experience doesn't suit everyone.
nodice is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 1st, 2017, 06:07 AM
I would like the individual reveal as well and I am sure it will come one day.

The individual reveal should be character based (including NPCs) and not player based.

In this way it can also be used when you write novels using RW to keep track of everything.

I imagine (and hope) when the content market is done and fully working a lot will suddenly happen as LWD can direct their energy towards other features.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 1st, 2017, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
The individual reveal should be character based (including NPCs) and not player based.
The plans discussed previously were per-CHARACTER and not per-PLAYER, but they presumed player Characters. I doubt NPCs will be controllable that way... as the goal is to control visibility to the data, not just noting which characters have it. All NPCs are "played" by the GM, and the GM has total visibility to the data.
Silveras is online now   #56 Reply With Quote
nodice

Old August 1st, 2017, 09:39 AM
Here I was thinking that character reveal (as opposed to player reveal) was being too demanding, but there's no doubt that it is much better. The game I am currently designing would benefit greatly from character reveal, but it just needs player reveal to be able to function at all in RW.

And Vargr, yes, I'm sure it will come 'one day™'... perhaps many years from now
nodice is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 1st, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The plans discussed previously were per-CHARACTER and not per-PLAYER, but they presumed player Characters. I doubt NPCs will be controllable that way.
To RW a "reveal target" (==character) would just be a "reveal target", regardless of what it represents to the real-life people using that realm. If any eventual implementation doesn't allow the GM account for a realm to own "reveal targets" in that realm they can work around that implementation by buying a Player license for themselves. (There'd be some annoyances involved, but my guess is not that many.)

"Reveal targets" could represent all sorts of things that aren't a single individual: secret societies, political entities, what's available on the Internet-equivalent with some research, and tons of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
All NPCs are "played" by the GM, and the GM has total visibility to the data.
Note the context of an author keeping track of which of their characters knows which things. It doesn't matter that the author knows everything.

Last edited by Parody; August 1st, 2017 at 10:13 AM.
Parody is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
nodice

Old August 1st, 2017, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Note the context of an author keeping track of which of their characters knows which things. It doesn't matter that the author knows everything.
Yes, I totally agree, it is better if its manageable on a character level irrespective of who that character is controlled by, including the GM. However, having reveal by player character only would be a limitation I could certainly live with.
nodice is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 1st, 2017, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodice View Post
However, having reveal by player character only would be a limitation I could certainly live with.
I did a lot of editing so don't know where I was when you responded (sorry about that) but I'll emphasize that as long as a Realm Works user can name the object RW uses for a "reveal target" then those "reveal targets" can't be limited to what RPG players who don't use Realm Works think of as a player character. The LWD folks might call them PCs for simplicity, but you can use them however you want.

Parody is offline   #60 Reply With Quote