Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old June 12th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Seems impossible, but one can never know....

I would LOVE to be able to use a single HL file for multiple categories simultaneously to ensure all instances of the HL file stay in synch.

Individual NPC used in a single quest (main villain)
Individual NPC used in multiple quests (generic mobs or main villain in different plotlines)

Right now, I have the Individual and then link to that, but I can't see any details or open the HL file unless I open a new tab for that individual.

Does anyone have a different/better solution?
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 13th, 2014, 03:49 AM
not sure what you're seeing with the "unless I open a new tab for that individual" thing.

What I'm doing is I have each HL file as a seperate portfolio. I.E. Room A24 (3 goblins and a kobold) Under Room A24, I link that portfolio.

For individuals like the town sheriff I'll link their portfolio in their Person entry.
For NPC baddies (BBEG's) I'll put them in the room their found in (or the event they pop up in, or whatever).

Sometimes, I'll have an entry for the BBEG under person, but then I'll also put them in the room, I'll have the HL file under both for ease of getting to it.

Does that help?
Pollution is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 13th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I don't think what I'm envisioning is viable.... I'm thinking out loud while looking for a solution.

I'm doing the same as you right now. And it works for a module. But for an ongoing campaign where NPCs evolve alongside the PCs, it would be nice to have all instances of the BBEG be updated rather than hunt each one down in each room, town or group they may have gotten filed.

The issue with my request is if I add the BBEG to an encounter HL file that has other mobs and NPCs, the BBEG is not going to get updated. It can't get updated....

Soooo.... Keep an Individual as the master version. In the encounter, include the BBEG within the encounter HL file and add a link back to the Individual master entry for reference. If the BBEG may change, add a prominent note to self in the encounter to definitely refer to the master Individual entry to doublecheck.

Cancel feature request....
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old June 14th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I don't think what I'm envisioning is viable.... I'm thinking out loud while looking for a solution.

I'm doing the same as you right now. And it works for a module. But for an ongoing campaign where NPCs evolve alongside the PCs, it would be nice to have all instances of the BBEG be updated rather than hunt each one down in each room, town or group they may have gotten filed.

The issue with my request is if I add the BBEG to an encounter HL file that has other mobs and NPCs, the BBEG is not going to get updated. It can't get updated....

Soooo.... Keep an Individual as the master version. In the encounter, include the BBEG within the encounter HL file and add a link back to the Individual master entry for reference. If the BBEG may change, add a prominent note to self in the encounter to definitely refer to the master Individual entry to doublecheck.

Cancel feature request....
Yeah, that's the solution for what you're looking for.

Don't put one in each location they appear in, put it in the "master" entry under Individuals.

ALTHOUGH, that will require a bit more effort on your part, when it comes to updating them.

I'm planning on having a copy in EACH entry for the BBEG for when they appear. For example, in RotRL, there's Foxglove (aka, skinsaw). I have his Sandpoint profile as normal old dude. BUT, when you get to foxglove manner, it's updated and different.

So, if your BBEG starts lvl 1, when they meet him in Dungeon 2, he's lvl 1. Meet him again in Dungeon 5, then he's lvl 5 with a new portfolio to reflect his changes.

It also helps because you can track his progress to make sure you're not outleveling/underleveling your BBEG compared to the party (ensure that he's tough enough, but not a party-wiper before the game starts).
Pollution is offline   #4 Reply With Quote