Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Arlack

Old July 31st, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hey gang! Searched google and the forums and didn't find what I was looking for. What I'm working on is using Realm Works for Numenera, so I've gotta adjust and manually put in a great many things.
Right now I'm making up "Player characters" for myself, and while setting up all the stuff, I can't seem to find a way to copy/paste a section, say "Weapon" with subsections for damage/type/special and the like. I would love to just copy the whole section, and paste a new section with the same subsections and snippets, with all the behavior and names and whatnot. I assume there is no such thing, so I'm requesting it, and hope others are on board with me! *laugh*
Arlack is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 31st, 2014, 02:30 PM
People have asked for this before (1 2 3 4), and there are times that copying snippets and sections would be useful. However, as soon as you start to duplicate things you should be thinking about what you're duplicating and how you might let Realm Works deal with that duplication in the future. So what are you trying to do?

Character Stats
It sounds like you might be putting all the game stats for a character into Realm Works' snippet formats. You might be better off using a Statblock/Rich Text, Hero Lab, PDF, or Foreign Object snippet to include game stats in a condensed format you and your players are accustomed to and only putting story-related character information in snippets.

If you do keep with items in snippets, consider just listing a character's inventory and creating Mechanics Articles for each item with game stats. This also cuts down on duplication by linking the repeated information instead of including it multiple times.

You'll likely end up with a hybrid where you duplicate a bit of game info but not all of the minutia that goes into a character. Do you really care about the weight of a longsword in the middle of most combats? Generally no, but you might care that your opponent has a distinctive scar (a storyline item that might be reflected as a disadvantage in character stats).

Mechanics
If what you're doing is creating Mechanics Articles for items, I would recommend creating new Categories for each of your item types and creating one Article per item. That way you get all of the snippets you need each time you create a new Article and can link to them when needed. This may mean a lot of new Categories and Articles, but there's nothing wrong with that. You're still stuck with copy/pasting individual snippet text for similar items.

Something else?
There's plenty of people who hang out here who can offer advice. If you'd like some ideas, let us know more about what you're doing. :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Parody; July 31st, 2014 at 03:32 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote