Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

Gatlin

Old October 13th, 2018, 02:19 PM
How would you write a script to make throwing attacks use the Athletics skill instead of throwing?
Gatlin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 14th, 2018, 03:28 PM
That's a really tough one. Fighting, Throwing, and Shooting are intrinsic to so many things, replacing any of them presents all kinds of hidden problems. There are many Edges and Hindrances that affect those/are affected by those, not to mention things like magic items, cyberware, and super powers. And then there are all of the per-requisites that look for them. A lot of those specifically look for one or more of these Skills. If you replace any of them, there are things that will stop working.

Now - that being said - we are all waiting with baited breath to see what changes they are making for the new edition. We may have to make some allowances that will allow us to re-address this issue.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 14th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Well, what we know so far for certain is the following:

The derived trait of Charisma is going away.

Multi-Actions will now allow the same action to be done but they are limited to 3 total actions (so you can do 3 total shooting actions, if you wanted, at -4 to each action) I don't see that really affecting Hero Lab, though.

The addition of "core skills" that you get a d4 in for free, specifically Athletics, Common Knowledge, Notice, Persuasion, and Stealth. (Yes, Common Knowledge will be an actual skill now). From that we know there will now be an Athletics and Common Knowledge skill to add to the mix, and I THINK Athletics will be replacing some to consolidate the skills down a bit. That will be something HL will need to work with.

Tests of Will and Cooperative rolls are chaging. The former will be simply "Tests" where you roll any skill that seems appropriate as an opposed roll against that skill's Attribute. An example they use is tripping someone by rolling Athletics and they resist with Agility, since Athletics is an Agility-based skill. This should essentially be what is used in the Flash Gordon rules and also not something that necessarily would need to be tracker in Hero Lab.

Cooperative rolls are how "Support" and you can use any narratively appropriate skill for the roll. So it's no long "everyone trying to knock down the door make a Strength check", but if you can see why Persuasion ("You can do it!") can help the people shoving on that door then that will work. Also something done in Flash Gordon, I think. Again, not necessarily something that needs to be handled by Hero Lab, though, I don' think.

I think there is a bit more on those two in Flash Gordon where some of the rules changes there (including the consolidation of some skills into Athletics) were actually previews on the new "Savage Worlds Adventurer Edition" version (previously called "Savage Worlds Black").

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 17th, 2018, 01:55 PM
We'll have to see how they construct Athletics.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote