Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

jfrazierjr

Old July 21st, 2017, 09:10 AM
CC, could you investigate what it would take to handle two different enhancements?

Note: 5E in the below comparisons refers to D&D 5E game system within Hero Lab.

First, can we get all the loaded skills output to the custom XML? Comparing the skills from SW vs skills from 5e, it appears that the 5E has a default. Would it be possible to set up some type of default value so that those loaded skills will actually show up in the custom output files VS only those which have a d4 or higher? I know there are custom skills and stuff to be handled, but I am hoping there is SOME way to deal with this. I seem to get the impression that the Skills tab would need to set all skills from the custom popup with a value of some sort(0 or -1) so they are available for the export file. I know it would likely be a decent amount of work, but it would be extremely useful in building out an html compatible form for using on android tablets.

Second, can we get container information output? I have a character from 5e with the below in the custom output file:

Code:
<gear>
				<item name="Backpack (16 @ 38 lbs)" quantity="1">
					<weight text="5 lbs" value="5"/>
					<cost text="2 gp" value="2"/>
					<geartype text="Adventuring Gear"/>
					<description/>
				</item>
				<item name="Bedroll" quantity="1">
					<weight text="7 lbs" value="7"/>
					<cost text="1 gp" value="1"/>
					<heldin name="Backpack (16 @ 38 lbs)"/>
					<geartype text="Adventuring Gear"/>
					<description/>
				</item>
Compare that with the Savage Worlds output:

Code:
				<item name="Backpack" quantity="1">
					<weight text="2" value="2"/>
					<cost text="$25" value="25"/>
					<description/>
				</item>
				<item name="Bedroll" quantity="1">
					<weight text="4" value="4"/>
					<cost text="$25" value="25"/>
					<description>Sleeping bag (winterized)</description>
				</item>

Note that in both cases the character in each system has the Bedroll stored in the Backpack. It seems that the key is the heldin tag is there in 5E but not in Savage Worlds. It's a bit odd that the name of the object in 5E changes based upon the weight in side, but I don't know if that would cause an issue or not.

Thanks for considering these two items. I know the former seems( to me anyway) as if it might be a heck of a whole lot of work to get done, but the latter I would hope is not that tricky to deal with.

Last edited by jfrazierjr; July 21st, 2017 at 11:31 AM.
jfrazierjr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 21st, 2017, 10:47 AM
First off, what's 5E?

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old July 21st, 2017, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
First off, what's 5E?
Sorry.. I when looking at how Hero Labs functionality, I sometimes check other game systems. In this case, I am referring to D&D 5th Edition game system. While I don't know for certain, I suspect that these "features" are likely in other game systems.
jfrazierjr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old July 21st, 2017, 11:36 AM
I don't have access to the background code for anything other than for Savage Worlds.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old July 21st, 2017, 11:43 AM
Oh, so you also want to see the Skills the character *doesn't* have?
The Savage Worlds module doesn't do that anywhere. I can't see having the XML output being different than everything else. And I think I would be against having all the Skills display everywhere. So, I'm thinking not.

Now, on the container bit, I might be able to do something about that. Let me take a look.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old July 21st, 2017, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Oh, so you also want to see the Skills the character *doesn't* have?
The Savage Worlds module doesn't do that anywhere. I can't see having the XML output being different than everything else. And I think I would be against having all the Skills display everywhere. So, I'm thinking not.
Ok.. so I want to walk through this. As I said, it likely would be significant work but I would at least like to get a general idea of where might need to be modified so both could be done.

Ok, so on the Skills tab within Herolab itself, if you do NOT want them to display, you would need to check the saved value and only display on the portal if the skill exists and has a value >= x. I think the base d4 value is stored internally as 1, is that correct? d6 is 2, d8 is 3, is that correct?) If this is the case, the natural comparison for the default value = 0 which would be set for, say 20 skills(or whatever is loaded for the setting file) for everything without a value. I know that's a fairly simplistic view, but is that foundationally the correct thought process?

The next part would be the output sheet where the same conditional check could be done for display/not.

Personally, I would wonder how many players would like to see all skills on both the Skills tab as well as on the output sheet(PDF). I would really like to hear from other forum users on this. It very well could just be something I am the only person who wants or it could be something loads of people would like to see this feature.

Quote:
Now, on the container bit, I might be able to do something about that. Let me take a look.

Thanks. As a long term thing, I would really like to try to figure out how to implement something like a bag of holding. In essence, find each container item, find each item which that container holds, add up the item weights, and apply some formula so that those items within the container weigh less or nothing(ie, subtract from the users current weight. ) That's one of the long term goals, but a short term goal is more to do with being able to group items in a custom html output sheet from the saved XML file, but the data has to be IN that XML file for the sheet first.
jfrazierjr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old July 21st, 2017, 12:11 PM
On a side note, do you happen to know how the custom XML files are generated? When I tried to load a D&D 4E por file and saved to XML, it contained pretty much NOTHING about the character. I assume that means that the por file is run through some type of game system specific filter such as an xslt, but I did not find such within the 4E folder that I could find.

EDIT: I THINK I just found it here: C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\customoutput Is that right? Or is that just the statblock text stuff?

Last edited by jfrazierjr; July 21st, 2017 at 12:14 PM.
jfrazierjr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old July 21st, 2017, 02:57 PM
If I understand this right, that's the "unformatted, unstyled XML copy of the current portfolio" used by the "Generate XML file" option on the "Save Custom Output" from the File menu.
There are others on the forums that have done more work with the XML output than I have.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old July 22nd, 2017, 05:54 AM
I played with the XML stuff a little, and there is a recent thread about it here if you wanted to search for it, but it probably won't provide much enlightenment since my XSLT skills SUCK!

As for displaying unused skills, personally I wouldn't want that at all. IMHO it's excess clutter that isn't really needed since the overall skill list isn't that big anyway and it's just too easy to reference even from within Hero Lab (just hit the button to add a skill if you in creation mode or add and Advance and select New Skill to see the list and just cancel taking the Advance when out of creation mode.) In that sense, especially if it would entail a lot of extra time coding that could be spent on getting us some of our other enhancement requests, I just don't see it being worth that effort. I don't personally see it as a feature I would ever really use in any case.

Listing things packed in other stuff and combined weights and such (and bag of holding type functions) would be nice, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:08 AM
I don't see much point in displaying it in SW, though there are some game systems where that isn't necessarily true, as you'd want to know the value and may not remember what it'd be right off the top of your head (and it varies depending on attributes). Sine they're all D4-2 (effectively) in SW its kind of pointless here.
Paragon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote