Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old September 9th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Regarding potential wifi issues at conventions and game stores. I find access to convenient places to charge devices to be a much bigger issue. Whether online or off, I ALWAYS bring printouts, just in case.

If no wifi, I have my cell data plan and mobile hotspot functionality.
If no wifi AND no cell network, I have HLC
I carry a backup brick that I've used to charge three iPads and two iPhone with heavy use on US to Taiwan trips, but if it runs out of juice or stops working, or my computer does, then I have paper.

As long as you can PRINT your character sheets, I don't care if it's always online. In my experience power issues or software/hardware failures are a bigger concern.

So while I am a bit dismissive of the issue, still, I *DO* think that there should be a way to make it work offline. I know DnD Beyond is working on offline access and they are 100% browser based. I'm not sure if they are going to develop an app that will cache content to the mobile device or use the technology available in some browser that allows you to work in the web app offline, similar to some Google Apps products.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 10th, 2017, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
I haven't been to a Con for quite a number of years... even so, surely you can still use a paper character sheet, or is an online/digital version the only way to allowed? Or maybe there's a new con-effect where bad wifi now damages pre-printed characters!
Lel, I mirror this sentiment.

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old September 10th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Re "Con" use, I'll give my 2 cents playing at GenCon where Hero Labs has "stations" to use to create characters for PFS play.

So yes, is it possible to use "paper", sure. BUT If I wanted to use paper, why would I need HLO?

And WiFi access at GenCon is NOT a thing. Of course, for a big con, it would be pretty cool if the powers to be brought in some wifi routers for public use "maybe your PFS ticket gets you a wifi password for that day?" Hell, they could even limit rate the internet access to throttle anything NOT going to HLO servers...

ANYhoo, Power is now an issue. Lets say I use my mobile hotspot or have WiFi. I may need 6-10 hours of laptop time (back to back games). That's easy on my surface, I just turn wifi off and it lasts me all day.

NOW, unless I have "offline" access, I need to turn WiFi on my laptop which seriously cramps my battery life...

For SFS play, I don't see needing all the HLO stuff for GM->Player connectivity or leveling, I *JUST* want to be able to add negative levels, buffs, conditions to my character. The last thing you want to do at level 8+ is do math!

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 10th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Battery issues, I solved that with a good battery bank. My laptop, just running HLC is good for 5 to 6 hours. My battery bank charges it for 3 to 4 additional hours. Since I'm not one of those guys who sits in the PFS hall All day that's more than enough for me.

If I went to my tablet that same battery bank would probably charge that tablet, depending on how much HLO does transmit and how graphically intense it is for well in excess of 12 hours.

Regarding printed character sheets, printed sheets cannot apply buffs and debuffs from a table full of players and the GM. Further the absolute last thing I want to try to do in the middle of a con is to level up a character on a printed sheet. The entire reason I own HL is to make that sort of thing easy. Pathfinder and D&D have simply gotten too complex to expect people to do that sort of thing by hand and get it right consistently.

From a GM's perspective I had to put my foot down about this. The last 2 players in my game who didn't use HL never had accurate character sheets. Correcting their characters after they tried to level up was taking a significant amount of my time at the table when it should have been a simple matter of them making a few decisions in HL.

I like the tactical console and being able to design/store encounters as a .por file but I could live without that stuff. What matters the most to me is the character management side. Happy players are players who keep coming back and HL makes player's lives easier.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old September 13th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Our group has the "official" version of their characters built within my Hero Lab; I'm the only one with the entire program.
One of them is on disability, and essentially has zero extra income; another player doesn't even have a computer of his own...

Within classic, I have a portfolio for the Heroes.
Usually 4-6 characters.

I load a portfolio with the bad guys, for a given encounter.

We were using the Tactical Console, and dice.
We are in the transition of using d20Pro's VTT for this (still a Face-to-Face game, with real dice rolls).
The VTT will be the initiative tracker, and a visual representation of the assorted battlemaps (and Realm Works, for handouts -- via Player View, and behind the scenes campaign management).
Dice rolls will still be done.
Characters will still be made and leveled up within HL.
The extra step will be importing them to d20Pro, with relative defenses and hit points being the only really relevant details.

For HLO, can I manage (mechanically track buffs, class features, etc) the entire party and have group buffs applied appropriately, etc?

Another concern is the credit card only; I don't use credit cards, but would a Visa Debit Card work?
Ualaa is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 13th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
Another concern is the credit card only; I don't use credit cards, but would a Visa Debit Card work?
I can attest that any card with the Visa or Mastercard attachment can be used for the purchase. So bank cards with one of the logos will be acceptable.

Forum link for my content work:
Pathfinder Thread
Forum link for SU 5e content work:
5e Steven Universe Thread
This link is for my group, but feel free to play it with:
DMM 5e | "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsd9w1eodlnwjq0/updatesDMM.xml?dl=1" Copy this link to your update manager to get updates when available.
This adds the Pisky subrace to elves from Berserk! and additional subraces for the Gem Race.
Please post comments in the provided threads above.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old September 13th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMasterMind View Post
I can attest that any card with the Visa or Mastercard attachment can be used for the purchase. So bank cards with one of the logos will be acceptable.
It is, however, generally a dangerous practice to use debit cards over the Web.
Paragon is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 13th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
It is, however, generally a dangerous practice to use debit cards over the Web.
Really? I've never heard that. Why is it dangerous?
Aaron is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old September 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Really? I've never heard that. Why is it dangerous?
Some vendors have poor security. Hell, the news just broke that Equifax got hacked. I think debit cards have also historically suffered from a lack of the types of fraud protections that credit cards have had. I think that's been changing, though.

However, there's no guarantee that using a credit card in-store is any safer. Case in point, Target being hacked a while back. I've also heard cases of people getting hit with fraudulent charges after using their cards at restaurants and in cabs.

Unfortunately, we live in a time where "the good guys" have not been serious enough about security (even cars can now be hacked and remotely controlled), and consumers have fewer and fewer choices about opting out.

Keep in mind, I'm offering a general answer here. I'm not putting all of this on LWD. I can't say if LWD is any better off or worse off than any other company. I don't have that level of knowledge.

My bank offers the equivalent of a pre-paid debit card, but with no fees. Whenever I want to make an online purchase, I transfer the amount to that card and make the purchase with that card. If anyone hacks that card, they won't get much. They'll just get the equivalent of pocket change.

What worries me more than anything else right now is the Equifax hack.
EightBitz is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 13th, 2017, 07:08 PM
To be fair... if someone hacks my debit card they won't get much either

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #100 Reply With Quote