Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Pollution
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 346

Old January 14th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Pollution is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Joe
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 579

Old January 14th, 2017, 10:11 AM
All backups Realm Works does are database-level backups. That means every realm currently on that machine.
Joe is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Pollution
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 346

Old January 14th, 2017, 01:59 PM
deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Pollution is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old January 14th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Once the export/import logic is bulletproof, that will offer an alternative for users will a whole bunch of realms. It's not yet bulletproof, but it will be soon. And it's going to be much closer in a little bit tonight. We're working to get a bug fix release pushed out right now.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old January 15th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
But I'm about to convert 20 Legacy realms to PF and then AGAIN to 5e.
Then I'm about to export those 40 realms for publication.....
Um, I missed this comment before, so let me chime in here. You should NOT convert 20 realms to PF and THEN convert the PF realms to D&D. I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what you plan on doing, but just in case...

What you should do is leave all the existing realms as Legacy for now - or convert them to Other. Then clean them up all after I publish the Content Sharing Guidelines, for which I'll have an initial draft available in a few days (hopefully sooner). That way, you do that work once, since it will apply to both flavors (PF and D&D). At that point, you should then COPY each of the realms so that you have two clones of each. You can then convert each of the realm a single time to PF or D&D. When you're done, you'll have a PF version that can be tailored with PF-specific material and a D&D version that can tailored with D&D-specific material. And you won't have to do anything general between them in duplicate, so this is the past of least work for you to get this stuff across the finish line.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,207

Old January 16th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Just went to backup my RW folder in preparation for a reimage...

Import Export has... had quite an impact

The My Documents folder currently takes up 193GB!
The %appdata% is 17.9GB.

The 10 backups is what's doing it.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
Realm Works - Community Content List
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base
daplunk is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old January 16th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Just went to backup my RW folder in preparation for a reimage...

Import Export has... had quite an impact

The My Documents folder currently takes up 193GB!
The %appdata% is 17.9GB.

The 10 backups is what's doing it.
Yeah. This is something we realized just a short while ago. It's a VERY high priority item for us once we get all the bugs ironed out from the export/import/conversion logic.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old January 16th, 2017, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Um, I missed this comment before, so let me chime in here. You should NOT convert 20 realms to PF and THEN convert the PF realms to D&D. I'm pretty sure that's not exactly what you plan on doing, but just in case...

What you should do is leave all the existing realms as Legacy for now - or convert them to Other. Then clean them up all after I publish the Content Sharing Guidelines, for which I'll have an initial draft available in a few days (hopefully sooner). That way, you do that work once, since it will apply to both flavors (PF and D&D). At that point, you should then COPY each of the realms so that you have two clones of each. You can then convert each of the realm a single time to PF or D&D. When you're done, you'll have a PF version that can be tailored with PF-specific material and a D&D version that can tailored with D&D-specific material. And you won't have to do anything general between them in duplicate, so this is the past of least work for you to get this stuff across the finish line.

Hope this helps!
And now I'm replying to myself on this stuff. Ugh.

After further consideration, it's quite possible that the approach I outlined above won't be the optimal approach for you to use. You may find it best to NOT use the copy mechanism. Instead, you may want to employ a cascading export/import chain. Let's focus on one realm as an example.

You start with the realm as either Legacy or Other - or perhaps even System Neutral. You setup the realm with all the material that is applicable to both Pathfinder and D&D5E. Then you export the realm and import it separately into both a Pathfinder realm and a D&D5E realm. Within those two realms, you make the appropriate revisions unique to the game system. Then you ultimately export from those two realms for publishing the content.

With this approach, you can go back to the original source realm and make any revisions there in a single place (i.e. non-game-specific errata). After making those changes, you export from that realm and import back into each of the two game-specific realms, which will update the pertinent records within the two game-specific realms (unless you've edited the specific snippets involved within the game-specific realms). Once that's done, then you can export from the two game-specific realms to release the official errata for each.

The only caveat with the above approach is that you'll be a guinea pig with this stuff. We've tested the above process ourselves, and it appears to be solid. But I'm honestly not sure if anyone on the Beta team really focused on testing this more complex series of steps - I find that unlikely. So I'd be remiss if I didn't warn you that you may be the first person to leverage this capability in the field, and there may be landmines that we missed in our testing. And the moment you introduce game system conversion into the mix, which you will, things get more complicated under the covers, which means it's more possible that we overlooked something.

Given the above caveat, you'll probably find it safest to convert the original realms to System Neutral. If you do that, you're eliminating the complications of game system conversion to the greatest extent possible. Then it's a matter of testing out the process.

If you want to proceed with this approach, I recommend that you copy one of your smaller realms to use as a test case. Starting with that copy, you can go through the process and see how it works for you. You can also go back to the copy, apply revisions/errata, and verify that those propagate through the chain appropriately. If you run into any hiccups in the process, absolutely let us know and we'll do our best to get them fixed in a timely manner. Supporting this complex process was an import design goal for us, so we're definitely going to be ensuring it all works. The only question at the moment is whether it's bulletproof for someone to leverage it for lots of different books to be published. I hope so, but I honestly can't be sure yet.

Let me hear you squeak like a lab rat!
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Pollution
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 346

Old January 16th, 2017, 05:34 AM
Deleted

Last edited by Pollution; February 17th, 2017 at 03:37 AM.
Pollution is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,622

Old January 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The only caveat with the above approach is that you'll be a guinea pig with this stuff. We've tested the above process ourselves, and it appears to be solid. But I'm honestly not sure if anyone on the Beta team really focused on testing this more complex series of steps - I find that unlikely. So I'd be remiss if I didn't warn you that you may be the first person to leverage this capability in the field, and there may be landmines that we missed in our testing. And the moment you introduce game system conversion into the mix, which you will, things get more complicated under the covers, which means it's more possible that we overlooked something.
I did test this in the Beta's before 225. The only difference being I only converted game systems "one" time. Once I had everything converted to Pathfinder I was good. But to see how RW operated I did try a three level approach and it functioned. I also saw it provided no real benefit to a non-publisher of RW.

Pre-225 I did a bunch of proof of concept testing by changing snippets in the different realms to see how well "merging" would work. Overall it worked allot better than I first expected.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.