Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Acenoid

Old September 15th, 2017, 06:21 AM
Honestly what fcan go wrong with a few adventure books

Iam alsy wary in backing. Have some titles going:
- Bards Tale, where I cannot access my rewards because they have shutdown the backer pages. And I cannot recall any information from them that the stuff isi ready. But well It might be that I made a mistake but still I lost a lot of worth because while they were making BT4 they promised to give you wasteland 2 (which was pretty new at that time). When I asked it was stated, please wait a bit. Forgot about it and checked back a few years later to notice that most of the rewards were given out already >_<

I pledged a dice box, which was announced as very sturdy and it looked really nice on screens. The box that I received, was not in the promised quality. I can use it but well... It also came with a "laser engraving"... Now, Iam no expert in engravings, but I can "scrub" off the image that was engraved, of course I try not to touch it , so it still looks nice, but that is not what I understand from an engraving. In general I give the box a 6/10 but I don't think I would have backed this if I had known before... I could have made it locally much cheaper and with full insurance

Most other things are still in progress or completed smoothly

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Thomssen

Old September 15th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I have backed several KS that were successful.

If only Mekton ZERO would actually deliver. Going on nearly 4 years now...
Thomssen is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 15th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I've backed a few successful projects and a couple that are ongoing, including a couple that are behind schedule but still put out updates and seem to be making progress. So far none that I've backed have simply disappeared with my money.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old September 15th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I have backed many KS projects, a couple still ongoing, but haven't had a failed one yet.

Basically, if you are worried about losing the money, you probably shouldn't be spending it on Kickstarters anyways.
Toblakai is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old September 21st, 2017, 08:49 AM
I have two in progress (undelivered, but not late) on Indigogo.
With 3/3 successfully delivered to me.

On Kickstarter... I have 4 projects which are late; 3 of those I have the PDF for but not the hard copy yet.
I have five in progress (not late yet).
With three actual physical products delivered.
So Kickstarter is currently 3/7 (with 3 PDFs but no hard copies yet, on the four missing), on items I should currently have.
Ualaa is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 21st, 2017, 10:18 AM
As a matter of policy I don't back projects on Indiegogo. The sites standards are too lax for my tastes. They have allowed projects that were either outright scams or that any thinking person knew wouldn't succeed, since they violate various well established scientific principals.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:19 AM
For me, I've had a lot of success funding tabletop board games. Yes, there are delays, but I like getting access to games before they are in stores (if they ever get in stores in the first place), at a better price and often with extras. Kickstarter has allowed for some EXCELLENT quality games to be created. Maybe I'm good at picking them, but I've not had a bad experience with any board game.

Software, on the other hand, I find to be very risky. Generally, I avoid funding software on Kickstarter. But I do have a soft spot for map-making software and have back three cartography software products in the last year. But I treat these more like support for developers than a "purchase." I don't know that I will use any of the final products heavily—I just like to see innovation in this area.

TTRPG print material and accessories is hit or miss. I'm pretty good at sussing out who seems to have their act together, but you do get a lot of enthusiasts will little to no business or logistics experience who have great ideas but really can't execute well. You also get a lot of single-person creators for whom illness, family issues, or day-job demands cause delays. As long as they communicate and seem to be making progress, I don't get my undies in a knot over the delays.

If you still to known creators with a track record, you should be fine and can get some good deals. I'll back Kobold Press, Monte Cook Games, or Reaper without a second thought.

The last category I back are cool STEM educational products for my kids, like the ROOT robot and Mover Kit. It is common for these to have delays because, well, they are complicated inventions. I don't bother reading the comments, because the gnashing of teeth displayed by some backers who obviously do not understand the how Kickstarter works, just annoy me. Backing these kinds of projects are really more like making a small investment. The costs and risks are higher, but you can get some cool tech for a much lower cost than retail if those running the campaign can deliver.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #27 Reply With Quote