Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

brian perlis

Old May 13th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Hello.

I am trying to share my realm with someone. I can invite someone to my Realm in the message center but this only allows them to see it in Player View. Is there a way to reveal all snippets at once across the entire Realm?

Is it better to Export the Realm as a file? I looked at that but it appears as if I have to modify quite a few category names.

Thanks for your help!
brian perlis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 13th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Only one user can "own" a Realm at this time (that is typically the GM). That user has the only complete access to the Realm. All others are Players, and can see only what has been revealed.

A Feature Request for a "View Only" type of global access has been suggested before -- as a sort of "guest reviewer" or the like, outside of the Player and GM roles.

Export would allow you to give the Realm to another user, who would then have a totally separate copy that s/he is the GM/Owner of. Export does have some restrictions on names, so you would need to clean those up first.
Silveras is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Warrant2K

Old May 13th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Can a realm be exported into some other format? Like doc, pdf or something if I wanted a paper copy?
Warrant2K is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 13th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Export to .doc, .pdf, etc. : No, not directly.

Part of that is because, like printing, that kind of export would/could promote piracy. The content purchased from the Content Market will have parts locked down to prevent abuse of the export functionality for that same reason.

The export itself is XML. An XML Translation can be used to convert it to another format, or a style sheet could be used to pretty it up for printing, but the primary use of Export from Realm Works is for re-import into another Realm also in Realm Works.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
brian perlis

Old May 14th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Thanks Silveras. I guess I'm going to have to manually go through and reveal all. Ugh.
brian perlis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Warrant2K

Old May 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Export to .doc, .pdf, etc. : No, not directly.

Part of that is because, like printing, that kind of export would/could promote piracy. The content purchased from the Content Market will have parts locked down to prevent abuse of the export functionality for that same reason.

The export itself is XML. An XML Translation can be used to convert it to another format, or a style sheet could be used to pretty it up for printing, but the primary use of Export from Realm Works is for re-import into another Realm also in Realm Works.
I understand the need to prevent piracy, however I have a completely original realm and content that I would like to share with non-RW owners for free. Printer friendly wouldn't really need to be a requirement, as long as someone else could make use of it.

How would one do the XML thing?
Warrant2K is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 14th, 2017, 10:48 AM
The "model" for use of Realm Works is ultimately to show what the Characters (not the Players) know. Per-Character reveal control is something that was requested early as an enhancement, and the "needed support" has been built into Realm Works previously; the actual display and control is "in the future".

All that said, making all content available has not been a big part of that model. The Topic and Snippet structure of Realm Works doesn't really lend itself to just "reading it through", if you see what I mean. That's still the domain of printed and pdf documents.

Creating the necessary XSLT to make the export more human-readable (and, at that point, you may as well go for print-friendly; it would be about the same work) is not my area of expertise.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM
If you want to export a realm of your own stuff so that it can be printed, have a look at the good work that EightBitz has done with his PowerShell program. See the thread at http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57418
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote