Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old September 6th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Where do I put race specific information? I have races and classes that pair together in this game, so I want to detail that to characters. This is so they know when then encounter hill giants, they are probably going to be barbarians. If they see a class outside of this list, then it is something special and they can choose to investigate why given interest.
That seems the sort of thing the mechanic source was meant for.

Under Dangers->monster/enemy write up what ever you want the characters to know about Hill Giants. Then reveal it. You can even make sure to make it available in player view during a fight with a variant Hill Giant as a clue that something is up, assuming you have a screen for player's view.
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old September 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
That seems the sort of thing the mechanic source was meant for.

Under Dangers->monster/enemy write up what ever you want the characters to know about Hill Giants. Then reveal it. You can even make sure to make it available in player view during a fight with a variant Hill Giant as a clue that something is up, assuming you have a screen for player's view.
You can even set some of the information as Untrue (click the wrench to the right of the snippet and select Truth Level - the players will not be able to see the truth level.

So the folklore says that the hill giants turn to stone boulders when hit by the first rays of the sun. Put this fact in the description but mark it as untrue (for your convenience).

Imagine the shock of the players when they after a long nights fight discover, that not all old folk's tales are true and that the hill giants continue fighting as the sun rises.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Journals seem pretty much a non entity in RW so I hope it is on the todo list. In campaigns that meet once a month or every 2 weeks a written journal can be vital in keeping players up to date on what is going on, especially if someone misses a session. I'd much rather have a built in solution than a kluged one. Hopefully when the promised calendar comes out it will be part of that.
Whilst I also look forward to Journals, primarily to get the player view of what is happening in the campaign (since it vary wildly from player to player, and from players to GM).

The "reveal snippet" functionality, along with game sessions, allows players (with the player edition, and later via the web) see what they have done or what information they have found even without having to explicitly write journal entries. The key is to lay out the snippets in your campaign topics so that you can reveal an individual snippet easily to a player.
Farling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old September 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Yes, I believe this program to be superior, this is why I purchased it. The steep learning curve of this program is making it difficult for me to want to use it when OP is so much easier. If you haven’t used it, you should take a look. I am not saying choose OP over this program, but you should at least understand the differences. OP is like designing a campaign on paper, it’s easy to place your ideas and design. This program looks like it will help you make a better campaign, but you need to spend a lot of time learning the system before you can enjoy yourself. My complaint is that I purchased this program to save me time: it’s not.
I had a look at Obsidian Portal and it seems to need an internet connection at all times to work (I might be wrong here). That alone - unfortunately - makes OP rather irrelevant for me.

We all have different needs so I am in no way belittleling (is that even a word?) Obsidian Portal. Besides, I haven't used it, so I can't really judge it, can I?

Quote:
For journals, I am using the “other” category as a container and the “further information” option to write the entry (or technically copy it from OP). Then I link to my character to show the relationship. This does not work very well. I was hoping to be able to show that I had written journals (it allows the GM to read it) but only show the players I have written something they cannot see. This allows RP and for them to find out what is going on with my character. This plan has not worked out well.
I don't understand why using the "Other" category in the World Almanac shouldn't work. It should behave like any other snippet you reveal. Remember, you have the reveal the topic itself in order for revealed snippets to be seen by the players.

Quote:
Journals aside, for the campaign I am designing, I still need to figure out how to create the player’s guide to character creation. I will try to place this in the home page, I think that is a good idea.
I would put in somewhere under Mechanics Reference and reveal the information. On the Home Page I would make a link to the information in Mechanics Reference.

But there are many ways to do it.

Quote:
Where do I put race specific information? I have races and classes that pair together in this game, so I want to detail that to characters. This is so they know when then encounter hill giants, they are probably going to be barbarians. If they see a class outside of this list, then it is something special and they can choose to investigate why given interest.
I would place both in Mechanics Reference since both concern rules and they should be carved in stone (that is, constant and consistent). I would start with the classes and after that add the races.

When adding the hill giant you simply write "Favoured classes: barbarians, bards, necromancers" (or whatever, I have no idea). When you save the topic RW will link to all the mentioned classes automatically.

But maybe I am stating the obvious.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 6th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Whilst I also look forward to Journals, primarily to get the player view of what is happening in the campaign (since it vary wildly from player to player, and from players to GM).

The "reveal snippet" functionality, along with game sessions, allows players (with the player edition, and later via the web) see what they have done or what information they have found even without having to explicitly write journal entries. The key is to lay out the snippets in your campaign topics so that you can reveal an individual snippet easily to a player.
In a small campaign that might work. But the bigger a campaign gets, and therefore the more stuff gets revealed, the less well that works.

Ideally a player journal contained in RW will link to topics mentioned in it which will let a player who has missed a session catch up to some degree.
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old September 6th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Vargr, you are not stating the obvious, all your words are helpful. I will tell you that I feel very intimidated by this software, which is why I have all these seemingly simple questions. I watched the tutorials, but it seemed to generate more questions than it answered.

Let me spend the day trying your suggestions, and the other helpful suggestions from the other members and see what I come up with. Today and tomorrow I have a lot of free time, so I am going to play with this when I can.
Globetrotter is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Ideally a player journal contained in RW will link to topics mentioned in it which will let a player who has missed a session catch up to some degree.
The date when each item is revealed is recorded, so using the "Reveal History" button on the Home ribbon will allow a player to see (for instance) what has been revealed since he last played.
Farling is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old September 6th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Let me spend the day trying your suggestions, and the other helpful suggestions from the other members and see what I come up with. Today and tomorrow I have a lot of free time, so I am going to play with this when I can.
Honestly, this really is the best idea. I was also overwhelmed with the program when I started, but I found once I started working in earnest that the program makes more sense the more you use it.

I think you just have to give yourself permission to "screw up" a bit - you are more than likely going to figure out better ways of doing stuff after you've entered information. Fortunately, changing and reorganizing information is possible after you've put it in.

I am also a really big fan of the "Utility" tags - Empty, Incomplete, and Placeholder. By tagging new topics with these, you can relatively quickly build out structure, and later quickly filter down to the topics that need more work afterwards. This could let you experiment a bit with how you want to organize the big picture without getting you too bogged down in getting all the information into individual topics. That could make moving categories later easier if you decide to make major changes to your organization.

Realm Works is pretty robust - you're not going to break anything. However, I've always been a "learn by doing" type. I actually did more reading and tutorial watching with RW than I normally do, but at a certain point nothing beats logging hours with the system.
JustinThomason is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old September 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Funny, I found all these manual when I clicked the "help" tab... pretty obvious now that I think about it. I just started reading the "Quick Start Guide."

Is there a difference in this guide and the current version of the software? Everything seems to be in the world almanac but the guide keeps referring to everything being in the story almanac?

I am very confused about these, but as I keep reading I am sure they will become more clear.
Globetrotter is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 6th, 2015, 07:01 PM
The Story Almanac and World Almanac used to be 2 separate things, and topics could be moved between them (as they became important in the campaign, or lost importance).. the idea being the Story Almanac was the "current story" and the World Almanac was "the background information" (as one way to use them).

A couple of releases back, the Story Almanac as a separate "area" was replaced .... and the "Story Almanac" became the default first "Custom View" of your information.
Silveras is offline   #20 Reply With Quote