Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Rev Haus 235

Send a message via AIM to Rev Haus 235 Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Haus 235

Old February 20th, 2016, 09:07 PM
I've been trying to add in a custom class. I have met some success, but keep getting stuck on a few parts.

The class is from the Iron Kingdoms setting by Privateer Press. It is an Arcane Mechanik. They specialize in making mechanical constructs that use magic to power them. They cast arcane spells like a wizard, but can't specialize in any schools. They also have a hefty skill allotment for crafting skills.

The help I need is with setting up the arcane spell casting ability, without the specialization part. How can I do this?

I am also having tons of trouble with the pre-requisites for the Feats that the class can choose from. In the Iron Kingdoms setting, there are a bunch of particular Feats that allow one to make various component pieces to magical constructs. This is were I run into the worst of my issues, as I managed to screw up the pre-requisites on some of the Feats so badly that it messed up my ability to use other custom stuff that I had been using for over a year.
Please help me with how to set a pre-requisite for level, other feats, class, and skills.

The class also gets a mechanical familiar at 5th level, that I will need some help setting up. Particularly because he can build his own mechanical creation for this familiar. I will need some help adding in the special ability to get the familiar, and then I will also need some help adding in a custom creation option for the animal that the familiar can be.

Please and thank you for your assistance.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Haus 235 View Post
I've been trying to add in a custom class. I have met some success, but keep getting stuck on a few parts.

The class is from the Iron Kingdoms setting by Privateer Press. It is an Arcane Mechanik. They specialize in making mechanical constructs that use magic to power them. They cast arcane spells like a wizard, but can't specialize in any schools. They also have a hefty skill allotment for crafting skills.

The help I need is with setting up the arcane spell casting ability, without the specialization part. How can I do this?
Wizard specialization is set up as a custom ability in d20, so you shouldn't have any trouble avoiding that. Just set them up to cast spells like a wizard in the editor. It won't force the specialization.

Quote:
I am also having tons of trouble with the pre-requisites for the Feats that the class can choose from. In the Iron Kingdoms setting, there are a bunch of particular Feats that allow one to make various component pieces to magical constructs. This is were I run into the worst of my issues, as I managed to screw up the pre-requisites on some of the Feats so badly that it messed up my ability to use other custom stuff that I had been using for over a year.
Please help me with how to set a pre-requisite for level, other feats, class, and skills.
There are tons of examples throughout the community set (and within the core set for that matter) showing how to do pre-reqs for all kinds of things. Just open up one of the files in the editor and take a look through the feats. You can also search through some of the Prestige classes as they use similar pre-reqs.

Quote:
The class also gets a mechanical familiar at 5th level, that I will need some help setting up. Particularly because he can build his own mechanical creation for this familiar. I will need some help adding in the special ability to get the familiar, and then I will also need some help adding in a custom creation option for the animal that the familiar can be.

Please and thank you for your assistance.
Setting up a class to have a familiar is easy enough. The issue you would run into here is that you can't really make a whole new class of minions. You can certainly create a mechanical familiar for your class to take, but you should put a pre-req on it to require levels in Arcane Mechanik so that your wizards and sorcerers don't get to use them. You can make familiars in the race tab.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old February 29th, 2016, 09:47 PM
So far I have the spells without specialization part figured out, I also have gotten the pre-requisite for other feats figured out.

I am currently running into a wall with the pre-requisite of ranks in a particular skill. I don't seem to be able to find anything like that in the core rules. No I have not downloaded the community stuff, frankly I don't want to clutter up the folder that I have all my custom stuff in with piles of stuff that I don't want. I'm sure its all great content, but I'm also sure its a lot of extra files I don't want to monkey with.

Maybe someone else is willing to give me a more direct answer please?

Maybe there is some guide to these codes you need that the boys at Lone Wolf released that I am not aware of. I mean it seems to me that if you're gonna make something as difficult as this is to do, you would at least provide people with some kind of written material to help use the product.

It always comes down to this. This is when I start regretting that I bought this product in the first place. Every time I try entering some large custom content I run head first into a wall of needing some very specific code to make it work right, but the code is not anything that I would have any way of knowing.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old March 1st, 2016, 12:55 AM
There isn't a book full of codes or scripting you can download. The FAQs, tutorials, u-tube videos, wiki, etc give a great range of assistance in doing most things. Most of us learn by copying what's already been done and searching the forum/asking questions when we get stuck.

Prerequisites...
The easiest way of learning this is to find a Prestige Class that has skill ranks as a prerequisite and open that class in the editor using "New (copy)" - Nearly everything in the DMG has this.
Here's a specific example/answer - the Assassin.
Pre-Req: Requires 4 ranks in Disguise.
In the "Expr-reqs" we have the message "Disguise 4 ranks required." Tick boxes "Is Error" and "highlight panel" The "Pre-req Expression" is #skillranks[kDisguise] >= 4

Hope this gets you back on track.
Dami is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't have even thought that coding from a class would work in a feat like that, but I guess a prerequisite is a prerequisite.

I do the "New(Copy) business, it just seems like such an inefficient way to go about things, especially when you're not sure what you need to make something work, or where to find it.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't have even thought that coding from a class would work in a feat like that, but I guess a prerequisite is a prerequisite.

I do the "New(Copy) business, it just seems like such an inefficient way to go about things, especially when you're not sure what you need to make something work, or where to find it.
If you open up the window to add a new feat or class, you can browse through the various options to see if anything has a similar requirement. Then you don't have to use New (Copy) on a bunch of different things until you find something. Sometimes you can use the search bar to narrow your options, but that only searches within the description. It doesn't search within the requirement text (the stuff in red). This is less of an issue without the community set, though.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old March 7th, 2016, 09:33 PM
In working through this custom class, I was doing pretty good until I hit a snag with one of the feats I'm working on and more importantly one of its' prerequisites.

The prerequisite in question is Skill Focus: Craft: Mechanika.
The prerequisite coding for feats looks as follows:
#hasfeat[ X ] <> 0 where X = the Unique ID for the feat.

The problem that I'm having is figuring out how to get it to show Skill Focus in a particular skill.
Any help please?
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old March 8th, 2016, 03:52 AM
Quote:
In working through this custom class, I was doing pretty good until I hit a snag with one of the feats I'm working on and more importantly one of its' prerequisites.

The prerequisite in question is Skill Focus: Craft: Mechanika.
The prerequisite coding for feats looks as follows:
#hasfeat[ X ] <> 0 where X = the Unique ID for the feat.

The problem that I'm having is figuring out how to get it to show Skill Focus in a particular skill.
Any help please?
Skill Focus assigns a tag to the selected skill. So, in this case, rather than look for the feat, you can look for the tag. You can see an example of this on the Archmage Prestige Class, which has a pre-req of Skill Focus (Spellcraft):

Code:
childfound[kSpellcr].tagis[Helper.SkillFocus] <> 0
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote