Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Exmortis

Old December 29th, 2014, 01:10 AM
One thing that is an issue no one has brought up, and that's the trading of IPs here.

Asking me say to build a new campaign world with races and everything my own imagination is one thing, but asking for say "Iron Gods" AP from Paizo in RW is illegal. Even if you and I both own it.

Offline however If I put Iron Gods into RW and was pretty damn sure you owned it, I would consider giving it to you. But that can't be done via the market place, even if we both own it, it is illegal, not that Paizo could ever sue us, but they could however end the relationship with LWD over it. That's bad news.

LWD has to stay on the straight and narrow, it has a lot to lose as their livelihood is based on license and protection of others IP. Even on the forums they have to be careful.

Players who own the APs can easily trade them, and really no one will say much, if you have both paid for it, and each took the time to put it in RW and trade it with another who owns the AP its no treally a big deal. but it can't facilitated thru the marketplace.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 29th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Shouldn't be an issue if you are commissioning original content or tweaks from the creators/IP holders. But yes, I could see how it would raise issues if someone had WoTC or other TP adventure material in paper format and wanted to pay someone to enter into RW for them. What I'm looking for is the former--commissioning original content.
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old December 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Entering material for someone is definitely going to be a market if it is allowable.
AEIOU is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old December 31st, 2014, 09:07 PM
I am not a lawyer, but from the many discussions I've read on copyright in regards to RPG's, it seems that Names that were made up for a particular RPG world or campaign that don't have any basis in history are what is copyrightable. So, you can't use Elminster or Drizzit, but you can use Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Merlin, and Hercules... not sure about Halfling or Hobbit. Also, you can't copyright game mechanics although you might be able to copyright a stat name if it isn't already in use in the real world.
Viking2054 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 1st, 2015, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
I am not a lawyer, but from the many discussions I've read on copyright in regards to RPG's, it seems that Names that were made up for a particular RPG world or campaign that don't have any basis in history are what is copyrightable. So, you can't use Elminster or Drizzit, but you can use Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Merlin, and Hercules... not sure about Halfling or Hobbit. Also, you can't copyright game mechanics although you might be able to copyright a stat name if it isn't already in use in the real world.
That's pretty much my understanding, too.

However.. while you cannot copyright game mechanics, the specific combination of them that makes up a character for a game system, and the specific format of any stat-blocks, are both Intellectual Property that can be protected.

Even then, agreeing to a specific license (such as the OGL) may indicate you accept additional specific limitations other than copyright; the license is a contract allows use of some otherwise-protected elements, but it also means some things that are not copyrighted are protected under the terms of the license.

Paizo is a good example of the difference. Close to all mechanics are open content under the OGL, but all story-elements (Names of characters, places, or things, and plots ) are protected content.
Silveras is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
This thread may be useful for all of us armchair lawyers....

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/4932...t-trademarks-a
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 1st, 2015, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
However.. while you cannot copyright game mechanics, the specific combination of them that makes up a character for a game system, and the specific format of any stat-blocks, are both Intellectual Property that can be protected.
I'm not sure about that. Several game systems use Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma as well as a list of skills in their character descriptions. There may be minor differences, but if any of it was copyrightable, then the only ones that would be able to use it would most likely be Wizards of the Coast for D&D. As far as stat blocks go, it's usually plain text with not much formatting thrown up in a specific order and I'm not sure the order of common words and numbers can be copyrighted.

Anyway, I've never seen an argument over a stat block unless it contained a unique name that could be copyrighted. Change the name to something generic and the rest of the stat block should be good to go as far as I know. My understanding is that the name is what companies send out cease and desist orders over and not the stat block.
Viking2054 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:45 AM
Here is a hypothetical question. I could see a lot desire for data entry. Could someone legally get paid for their time? Say person A buys Buys Iron Gods from Paizo in PDF. Sends it to person B as proof of ownership. Person B does the data entry into RW, and returns the PDF and Realm. Could he be compensated for his time?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM
tough question. I would suppose that if they came to your house, and worked on your machine logged in under your account that they could do the data entry for you. Where it becomes questionable is when they do it on their computer logged in under their account and then try to transfer it to you. Who's to stop them from reselling it to others that may not have the module.
Viking2054 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
tough question. I would suppose that if they came to your house, and worked on your machine logged in under your account that they could do the data entry for you. Where it becomes questionable is when they do it on their computer logged in under their account and then try to transfer it to you. Who's to stop them from reselling it to others that may not have the module.

Thats true. How dose that work now when I download a PDF of an AP from Piazo. I assume that if my watermarked copy ever appeared on the web paizo would contact me about it.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote