Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

shaggai
Volunteer Data File Author

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Just uploaded the latest release into the datafiles central site, and that's all it does. I remember that there used to be a lot of additional things to do on the old site, like add the text, expected download size, and delete the older releases. Did something go missing in the changeover, or am I missing a level of access?

PS - I also don't see the file that I added using the update feature.
shaggai is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
None of that stuff has ever been on the data file hosting site. It's a two-step process. First, you post the file wherever you want (such as datafilecentral.com). Second, you log into your author account on our administrative server to handle all the other details.

Please go to www.lonewolfdevel.com and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the link for data file authors. Login and then you'll see all the information that you are referring to.

The two are distinct because data files can be hosted anywhere. Regardless of where the files are hosted, the author account allows you to point to the proper location and integrate the updates into what AB reports to users.

Wait a minute. Are you posting an update to the 40K data files? I thought the 40K files *are* hosted at a separate location. If so, you don't need to use the datafilecentral.com site. You only need to use the author account on the lonewolfdevel.com site to post the release information.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
shaggai

Old July 18th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Forgot about that one extra step, that's what I get for being new at this part of it.

Actually we host the files on our site, but we use the datafile central so that the users can use the New Updates feature to update. I think it is also due to traffic on Spack's work servers...

PS - Nice touch to actually have the option to update (when available) even before loading the game system!

Last edited by shaggai; July 18th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
shaggai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Spack

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Where I have the server right now I have to rate limit the site as it's on a connection with only 4Mbps upstream which is used mostly by the company webservers. We're moving office next month onto a 10Mbps upstream connections so I should be able to remove the rate limiting.
Spack is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
You guys are welcome to use datafilecentral.com for all the hosting of the data files if you want. Adam told me he set up the site on a server with a fat pipe and silly bandwidth limits. I don't remember what they were, but I do remember being stunned when I saw them. So there's no issue hosting the files there.

I was simply surprised, because I remember *many* moons ago being told that you guys wanted to maintain complete control of the data files and monitor the number of downloads. That meant hosting everything yourselves. Of course, that pre-dated the previous leadership of the 40K team, so it's *ancient* information. :-)

If you guys want to limit your bandwidth usage, datafilecentral.com is a perfect solution. However you guys want to handle stuff is fine with us....
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote