Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - World of Darkness
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tashtego

Old March 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just running a game with HL last night and I have some feature requests/suggestions:

1) Ability to input new numina for ghosts.

2) Ability to remove all roll summaries from sheets at a global level. (They don't take skill specialities into consideration and were confusing to some new players. I know I can remove them line by line, but this can very fiddly, especially if you're doing this all the time to multiple sheets.) Or to apply a few selected roll summaries on one sheet to a batch of sheets.

3) Maybe ability to replace roll summaries with the actual dice breakdowns of the skills as my players found that would be more useful. (e.g. Instead of it saying "Carousing: 7" it could say, "Carousing: Man + Soc".) This would give new players a good example of what you could do with the system.

3) Character portrait on sheet.

Thanks!
Tashtego is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
At 02:21 PM 3/29/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Just running a game with HL last night and I have some feature requests/suggestions:

1) Ability to input new numina for ghosts.
This was added in the V2.0 release. You can add whatever numina you want via the Editor. It's quick and easy.

Quote:
2) Ability to remove all roll summaries from sheets at a global level. (They don't take skill specialities into consideration and were confusing to some new players. I know I can remove them line by line, but this can very fiddly, especially if you're doing this all the time to multiple sheets.)
I've added this to the todo list.

Quote:
Or to apply a few selected roll summaries on one sheet to a batch of sheets.
That would not be possible because each character sheet is independent of the others. :-(

Quote:
3) Maybe ability to replace roll summaries with the actual dice breakdowns of the skills as my players found that would be more useful. (e.g. Instead of it saying "Carousing: 7" it could say, "Carousing: Man + Soc".) This would give new players a good example of what you could do with the system.
Now added to the todo list.

Quote:
3) Character portrait on sheet.
Also added to the todo list. However, where would you want this to be included? There are no official WoD sheets that I've ever seen with a place for a character portrait. I'd rather integrate it into the current sheet instead of re-designing an entire new sheet. :-)
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tashtego

Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hmm, maybe in the bottom right? The sort of space that usually gets filled up by roll summaries on the official output sheet could also perhaps contain the portrait, especially if you can toggle roll summaries off and on. The Hero Lab sheet is generally more compact than the official sheet, anyway.

Thanks for listening, Rob!
Tashtego is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Pierre

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Hello

First excuse my poor English, I am French, so it is not my native language.

I am very interested in the Hero Lab Tool, for I am going to start a "requiem for Rome" campagne soon.

On question about additional features. Is it possible to have a seconde character sheet in the PDF printout, with inside the description of all the special ability ? configurable or not, it should be very useful. because you have not allways your computer close to you ... :wink:

Thank in advance !
Pierre
Pierre is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
krathen

Old April 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Now I can't remember (I'm at work) does secondaries appear on the "roll list" if not that would be a useful feature if if you can enable disable it's appearance.
krathen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Personally, I'd like to figure out how to make the skills section not bleed over the WW logo on the bottom left corner of the page when you have over 8 specialties or such.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why I only ever see one page on a print preview, when it's clear that it can do more than one. It would be nice to have something where you can set up the sheets to your liking, like listing only KNOWN skills, or change the font to a smaller size, or put the rolls on the next page, or whatever.

but the having room for only 8 specs or so is annoying IMHO. I personally have an academic Ordo Dracul that has 10 skill specs, and the printout drives me crazy thanks to the bleed over/cutting off right there.
Pollution is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2008, 04:02 AM
At 08:49 AM 4/10/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I am very interested in the Hero Lab Tool, for I am going to start a "requiem for Rome" campagne soon.

On question about additional features. Is it possible to have a seconde character sheet in the PDF printout, with inside the description of all the special ability ? configurable or not, it should be very useful. because you have not allways your computer close to you ... [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Including all the descriptions of the special abilities would require the approval of White Wolf. They've been great about letting us include a lot of the descriptions within the software so that users don't have to bounce back and forth between the software and the books. However, I don't think it's likely they'll let us start printing out large chunks of material from the books. We can ask, but I wouldn't consider it likely. :-)
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2008, 04:03 AM
At 03:18 PM 4/11/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Now I can't remember (I'm at work) does secondaries appear on the "roll list" if not that would be a useful feature if if you can enable disable it's appearance.
What are "secondaries"? Please explain what you're referring to so I properly understand what it is that you want added. :-)
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2008, 04:14 AM
At 08:27 AM 4/18/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I'd like to figure out how to make the skills section not bleed over the WW logo on the bottom left corner of the page when you have over 8 specialties or such.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why I only ever see one page on a print preview, when it's clear that it can do more than one. It would be nice to have something where you can set up the sheets to your liking, like listing only KNOWN skills, or change the font to a smaller size, or put the rolls on the next page, or whatever.

but the having room for only 8 specs or so is annoying IMHO. I personally have an academic Ordo Dracul that has 10 skill specs, and the printout drives me crazy thanks to the bleed over/cutting off right there.
When we mapped out the character sheet, we asked the folks at White Wolf whether we would run into players who took lots of specializations. We were told that no one at WW had ever seen a character with more than 5 specializations. So, just to "be safe", we included room for 7 or 8. I guess that makes you the exception that proves the rule. :-(

There is currently no way to stop the bleeding into the logo, as we never imagined someone having that many specializations. I'll have to put this on the todo list to figure out something.

You're one step ahead of us with regards to customizing the character sheet. The character sheet currently included is just a single sheet. We're working hard on the Authoring Kit right now. The Kit will allow users to create data files for entirely new game systems if they want. It should also be possible for users to leverage the Kit to create their own custom character sheets for game systems like WoD if they want. The Kit is expected to enter Beta testing in the next few weeks.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old April 21st, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ahh, it's funny to hear the WW guys say that. In many of their sourcebooks, they talk about how for example, most doctors have Medicine 3, then take specializations from that point on. Like, Surgery, Pediatrics, Radiology, ect... My new Malkavian Ventrue is a Psychologist with Medicine 3 and 4 specs in that one alone. It may be that I'm coming from the Camarilla, where we all learned that a +1 to a dice pool is SOOO much cheaper with 3xp and a spec than with the 12 xp for a 4th dot. That might be the difference there.

But good looking out, Rob, thanks alot. I look forward to the Authoring tool!
Pollution is offline   #10 Reply With Quote