Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kane_l

Old March 24th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Maybe I missed this in the many videos I watched, the various how-tos, and the FAQ, but is revealed content not immediately pushed to the players?

If not, this severely limits the use of the program as an in-game tool and I feel very disappointed.
kane_l is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 24th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Nothing is immediately pushed to player edition. Everything is immediately pushed to player view.
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 24th, 2016, 07:27 PM
RealmWorks is not designed to be a Virtual Table Top. It's primary strength is as a GM world building tool and in-game DM reference. It is also a useful for at-table games where you have an extra display connected to your computer for players to view.

The player view is mostly useful as a reference to content from past sessions. Basically a player's notebook. Basically the player view is analogous to a campaign blog or wiki where the DM shares content from the last session for players to reference.

In my games, I've never had the need or desire to have content pushed to the players' devices DURING the game and my players have never asked for it. I don't even reveal content until after the game.

That said there are many users who feel differently and want to push content directly to player's computers, iPads, etc. But I don't see this changing any time soon since the DM has to exit the current realm to sync changes to the server. So even when the Web version is released, you are not going to get real-time reveal.

Lone Wolf Development is well aware of this feature request as a number of users who would like it are very vocal about their desire. But there is a long list of feature requests and real-time reveal just isn't very high on that list. Far more users would like other functionality to be added to RW first (printing, export/import, calendars, player notes, individual-player reveal, and on and on...)

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old March 25th, 2016, 07:07 AM
There's a lot of people who expected the player edition software to function this way...

So even though the same people here keep posting that they did not expect it to work this way it does not diminish that others did/ do.
adzling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old March 29th, 2016, 03:31 AM
I agree with adzling.

I've been looking to purchase RW for my Campaign but since it's the end of RotRL I decided to hold off. If the Content Market was available sooner I'm sure I would have already purchased RW.

But based on the spotlight series, and everything I watched on youTube. I was under the impression that I could use RW during a game session. And if the players came into a room and found a journal I could mark this pin as revealed and then the players could all read this entry.

If this is not correct and I misunderstood this. Then what is the purpose of the player edition?

I sent an email to my gaming group about RW and my desire to purchase it and who of them were interested so I could also get the appropriate Player Edition pack.

But we did not make the purchase because I told everyone to wait until the Content Market is released and I can also get the RotRL content. Because even if I purchased it. We are way to far along in RotRL for me to enter all this content.

And if the Player Edition doesn't give my players any benefit during game play. I might not even get the player edition packs.

What is the benefit of the Player Edition versus Player Web Version?
joepacelli is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 29th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Player edition gives full access to the revealed content once the GM syncs his realm with the cloud. There is as of yet no web version.

Player view is a way to use RW live at the table using a second monitor. It is done through the GM's instance of the program.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old March 29th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Pretty much the only (very limited) use of Player Edition is a reference source for lore and background.

I input many of the sourcebooks for Shadowrun 4e and 5e into our realm and now my players can access that material and read it between sessions.

However because there is no live sync it's utility at the table is mostly nil.

Which is a shame as it would be super awesomely helpful if it did have live sync, especially if it had the ability to selectively display content for specific players.

This is doubly true when you consider there is no good method for displaying print content to players at the table using realmworks (you can't print or export and you can't display specific text snippets to players via player view).
adzling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 29th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I think the web edition will somehow be limited - how exactly we do not know yet (number of topics, pages, size not sure). Though, maybe this changes still, after all the realm "owner" pays a monthly fee already.

PS: I cannot find the post / information anymore. Maybe it's changed already and the web access will be with full access. I just don't want to spread rumors

PPS: I found the distinction of different levels of web access in the FAQ. Basically there is a basic level of access for "non player edition users" and a full access for player edition users.

http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/s...d-service-faq/

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; March 29th, 2016 at 08:07 AM.
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote