Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
Don't think it's justice, and I'm not into edition wars arguments, I think wizards have finally realised that the name Dungeons and Dragons as a brand is far removed now from it's earlier incarnations!
I am not intending to have an edition war argument. I started this thread to let the community know these books were coming back into print so that interested parties could start putting away money to procure them.

Everyone has their own favorite edition, but frankly I am happy to see WotC finally listening to their consumer market base instead of Corporate greed.
RavenX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't call any edition of D&D or AD&D complex.

1st and 2nd Ed were about as simple as it gets.... 3.x added feats and a bunch of stuff, but it wasn't complex. Not when All my Rogue/Swashbuckler ever cared about was flanking something, and just going home when the adventure involved slimes, undead, constructs, demons, etc. My 4e Rogue/Fighter with feats and builds that turn him into a Swashbuckler type was far more versatility and complexity than his 3.5e version ever did.

4e started out too simple, got pretty complex to the point I wasn't seeing the same builds over and over via LFR, and then went to the land of too simple with Essentials.

But if you want a complex game, go play Traveller The New Era. Pick up a copy of Fire Fusion and Steel and have fun making all the equipment and star ships and vehicles for your campaign. Or play Shadowrun, or Gurps, or WoD. But the D&D system will never be complex provided it has the silliness of levels and experience points.

WoTC actually had me buying stuff until the books turned into nothing more than powers/equipment/feats. At that point an Electronic character builder that I could update with errata was far better than the printed books. Paying $80 a year to keep access to that has become more cost effective than buying books that get Erratad to the point of uselessness.
cryptoknight is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post

But if you want a complex game, go play Traveller The New Era. Pick up a copy of Fire Fusion and Steel and have fun making all the equipment and star ships and vehicles for your campaign. Or play Shadowrun, or Gurps, or WoD. But the D&D system will never be complex provided it has the silliness of levels and experience points.
I refuse to play Traveller since Mongoose got a hold of it. They managed to put in a nice chapter of feats and no way for characters to access them. Mongoose has messed up more than that. WotC may not be a good company, granted, but they did bring out 3.5 and it was good. I can at least trust those books.
RavenX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
My hope is that a renewed interest in 3.5 overall may result in a renewed interest in LW to get the d20 files into order.

3.5 was my last and final stop in D&D, I still run it today, modified of course. There are still too many things I find problematic in 3.5, and I've done my very best to correct them.

As for 4E, I tried that out, and I understand the modular aspect makes it a much more flexible system, but also lends itself to, as a previous poster put it, common builds because there isn't enough balance in the system. There wasn't in 3.5 either, but it was manageable, I digress though. The main problem I had with 4E is it was really created to appeal to console game players. Nothing reminds me more of it, many of the powers are like clicking and icon and waiting for it to come up again after cooldown. Frankly, why would you do that in P&P when many console games do it better. And the fact that roleplaying has been completely disregarded for feats, powers, equipment, and a purely combat oriented approach. Gaming has progressed to fighting for experience, and anything else you could do to further a character in experience is completely missing from the rulesets.

My 2 experience worth.
Kendall-DM is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I refuse to play Traveller since Mongoose got a hold of it. They managed to put in a nice chapter of feats and no way for characters to access them. Mongoose has messed up more than that. WotC may not be a good company, granted, but they did bring out 3.5 and it was good. I can at least trust those books.
Heh I just got a refresher on Traveller from your post.

Traveller :TNE was the last copy published by GDW back in the early 90's.... It included an equipment design system called Fire, Fusion, and Steel with such awesomeness as using Quadratic Equations to design fire arm ammunition, which was a prerequisite to building guns.
cryptoknight is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
I am not intending to have an edition war argument. I started this thread to let the community know these books were coming back into print so that interested parties could start putting away money to procure them.

Everyone has their own favorite edition, but frankly I am happy to see WotC finally listening to their consumer market base instead of Corporate greed.
Which is the point of my initial post. WotC actually listened to the consumer at last, not an edition war but a sensible decision based upon community feedback and, I presume, sales figures.

It's great to hear that the 3.5 system books are to be re-released updated.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I don't disagree, but I think they should also re-release all of 2e and 1e (I know that a select number of 1e books are being reprinted).

Or at least sell the blasted PDFs of the books... Would that be so bad? Sell the last two editions of the books in physical copy, and the PDFs of all editions. After all... the PDFs don't require much of anything in terms of Inventory cost.
cryptoknight is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes 2e I would purchase up. I honestly wish they'd do a print on demand thing. It would just make it easier in the long run. That way every player / d.m. could get exactly what they want and there are no edition wars issues.

Also, Traveller may be complex to an extent, I would rather run Shadowrun than Traveller... the system is much better designed and just as much work to run (Hence why I have the licenses for the system for HL)
RavenX is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old June 27th, 2012, 11:52 PM
to be honest. If you are buying reprints based on the D&D Next, I would suggest waiting until D&D Next is actually physically released completely. You might be in for a big disappointment. I know I am based just on the Beta.
Nikmal is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 28th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
to be honest. If you are buying reprints based on the D&D Next, I would suggest waiting until D&D Next is actually physically released completely. You might be in for a big disappointment. I know I am based just on the Beta.
I actually want a hard copy of the 3.5 books. One of my ex friends stole mine shortly after 4e launched. I have had no luck replacing them out here. 3.5 books are really scarce in comic shops down where I live.

I am also running the Beta for Next as a D.M. So far it's not bad, but my group has a few complaints about it. I just read on the WotC site they're planning to bring in new material to the playtest data soon. Manuevers and spells and a few other surprises.
RavenX is offline   #20 Reply With Quote