Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mergy

Old December 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hey, I've only been using HeroLab for a very short time, but I had a question about one of the mechanics.

The free set of clothing that heroes get is apparently weightless. Only I don't remember that rule being in Pathfinder, and I am currently searching through my Core Rulebook trying to find it. Is this just a quirk of HeroLab, or have I actually missed this rule?

Thanks!
Mergy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old December 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
When the same question regarding looking for Pathfinder's version of the 3.5 rule is asked this is the quote they point to:

Quote: Jason Bulmahn Lead Designer Oct 8, 2009, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Folks, as of right now, there is nothing in the RAW that states that one suit of clothing does not count toward encumbrance. So, as of this moment, clothing does count.

I will revisit this issue when it comes time for the next batch of updates.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing
dafrca is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I got the idea of the free set of clothing that is given and the weight issue is that the free set is that you are wearing them and the the weight is distributed evenly across your body, therefore the weight doesn't come into play, but if you carry a set of clothing in a pack - it is bulky and therefore the weight does count. It's not official but that is how it seems to work in the program - which makes a lot of sense, if you have ever backpacked or was in the military and carried things. just my thoughts on the subject.
jbearwillis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergy

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
jbearwillis: That's fine, although for the purposes of Pathfinder Society it should really be disabled.

I've submitted it as a bug, even though I suppose it's technically a feature?
Mergy is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 8th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Sorry I didn't know you were asking about it because of the Pathfinder Society, they are very strict about weight and such. The question seemed to be a general question as to why the program did it that way and that's why I give my two cent, so sorry about the confusion. Peace out.

And LOL to the quote: Oct 8, 2009 - WoW, you'd would have figured they would have made an official ruling decision on how it works now because of the Pathfinder Society.
jbearwillis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mergy

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:43 PM
At the very least, it should turn off when making a Pathfinder Society character, and it does not.

Yeah, the quote is old, but as far as I'm concerned there's really no reason to revisit the rule. Paizo has a lot on their plates.
Mergy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I was just thinking - it's a suck way of doing it - but you can use the custom gear pick and title it, lets say you pick for your free clothes (Monks Outfit), you title it "Free Monk Outfit Weight and just put the weight in and not the cost and that will give you the weight for the free clothes. It's a little more work but at least the Pathfinder Society character will show the correct weight and you can show why you did it when you use that character. Just a thought to get around it until you figure out a better way.
jbearwillis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dafrca

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I included the date just in case I had missed a newer FAQ update etc.

I have to admit I ignore this in my home games and give the characters one set of cloth at no weight. But I agree when someone clicks the PFS legal character the first set should also count to their total weight.
dafrca is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
BenRislove

Old December 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM
All I know is the Mike and Mark both treat the initial set of clothing as weight free, as do all the players I have run across. It was in 3.5 and everyone just assumes its a typo, until someone says otherwise I'm going to assume they are weightless.
BenRislove is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mergy

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRislove View Post
All I know is the Mike and Mark both treat the initial set of clothing as weight free, as do all the players I have run across. It was in 3.5 and everyone just assumes its a typo, until someone says otherwise I'm going to assume they are weightless.
Do you have a quote from either of them saying so? They tend to not impose house rules on the game, and if they do they're typically listed in the FAQ or Additional Resources page.
Mergy is offline   #10 Reply With Quote