Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

McTaff

Old March 4th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I have a few questions with the Editor.

The campaign requires a few changes, some items to be created, and I want the players to have access to everything they need in Hero Lab itself.
(The data file I create will be distributed amongst the players to add to their own computer)

Background: I have no coding knowledge except kindergarten BASIC. I did learn a little about the editor a few years ago but then I had to data dump it all in favour of learning my new job. So please be patient - Hero Lab can probably do these things, but I don't know how to do them... and worse still, I still possibly won't understand how it works. So please bear with me.

Firstly, I was trying to create a staff.
I copied an existing staff and added the new spells to it. Everything looks good in the editor to my untrained eyes, but the spells/charges are not appearing in the Tracked Resources portion of the character sheet like other staves do.
Specifically, the staff is a +2 Quarterstaff (tested, works as intended); has a 3/day use spell (tested, does not show up) and the regular 10 charges and spells (tested, does not show up).

Secondly, how do I exclude specific spells from being used by characters? For example, in my world if Magic Missile doesn't exist, how would I prevent it from being selected by a character in Hero Lab?

I have more questions, but I'll hold them until the end, after the applause.

Many thanks in anticipation,
McTaff
McTaff is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 4th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
Firstly, I was trying to create a staff.
I copied an existing staff and added the new spells to it. Everything looks good in the editor to my untrained eyes, but the spells/charges are not appearing in the Tracked Resources portion of the character sheet like other staves do.
Specifically, the staff is a +2 Quarterstaff (tested, works as intended); has a 3/day use spell (tested, does not show up) and the regular 10 charges and spells (tested, does not show up).
If you can post your .user file you made it would make things allot easier to help you out with this issue. When you post a new message scroll down until you see "Manage Attachments".

To find the location of your .user file from inside of HL go to "Tools->Explore Folders->Program Data Folder". That will open up the folder where the .user file is stored.

Quote:
Secondly, how do I exclude specific spells from being used by characters? For example, in my world if Magic Missile doesn't exist, how would I prevent it from being selected by a character in Hero Lab?
In the editor you want to look at the "General->*HIDDEN" or "*PRECLUDE" tabs.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old March 14th, 2015, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
If you can post your .user file you made it would make things allot easier to help you out with this issue. When you post a new message scroll down until you see "Manage Attachments".

To find the location of your .user file from inside of HL go to "Tools->Explore Folders->Program Data Folder". That will open up the folder where the .user file is stored.

In the editor you want to look at the "General->*HIDDEN" or "*PRECLUDE" tabs.
Okay the second answer is exactly what I was looking for (and way to look like a doofus)

The first thing, I can do also. Please find the .user attached - and a test character already holding it.

When you attempt to print, the only tracked resource is the arcane bonded item.
Attached Files
File Type: email BGCampaign.user (17.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: email [TEST] Testy McTestness.por (49.8 KB, 0 views)

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 15th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Okay the second answer is exactly what I was looking for (and way to look like a doofus)
Experience with a tool as large and complex as HL editor is not being a doofus. Its just a learning curve is all. Hell with the amount LW keeps adding new features I can get lost or use the "wrong" thing to implement something.

Quote:
When you attempt to print, the only tracked resource is the arcane bonded item.
So couple of small issues I found:
Show in Specials List? Needs to be check marked
Show in Tracked Resources List? Needs to be check marked
The tag for each bootstrapped spell I changed from Usage.Charge -> Helper.ItemSpell. ItemSpell tells HL to correctly display on the "Spells" tab. This is needed as this is setup as "weapon" not on the "Staff" tab in the editor.

I fixed these issues and attached is the updated copy of the file.
Attached Files
File Type: email BGCampaign.user (17.1 KB, 1 views)

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old March 15th, 2015, 06:36 PM
"Teacher! Teacher! I finished my homework without any help from Tim!"

"Would you believe..." ?

Thanks a bunch. An imaginary Attaboy has been posted to your last known address.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #5 Reply With Quote