Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tengu1958

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I was trying to download Realm Works for the first time. I thought my email for kickstarter is the one where I receive all the updates for kickstarter. That email did not work so I tried another email just for the heck of it and much to my surprise Realmworks Beta began to download.

After waiting for the file to download in Chrome I got a message at the end of the down load that says File 'RealmWorks_0...exe' appears malicious. Chrome wants me to discard this file. I want to keep it. Should I be worried? I having been waiting most anxiously to get this tool. But I don't want to wreck my PC.
Tengu1958 is offline   #1
Silveras

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM
You can get a lot of false alarms, especially with files / programs that are new and don't have a history of being installed successfully by large numbers of people.

There's usually a longer explanation of why something is seen as malicious, or possibly malicious. It could just be that whatever antivirus is checking it is just being cautious.
Silveras is offline   #2
dhstein

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:27 AM
got the same message - but I am up and looking around with no reaction
dhstein is offline   #3
Tengu1958

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks. I cannot wait any longer. Diving in.
Tengu1958 is offline   #4
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old November 16th, 2013, 09:39 AM
From Kickstarter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob;
The file should be completely safe. The problem is the way Google operates. EVERY product update we've released for the past couple years - across ALL of our products - has been flagged by Chrome as a potential threat. This lasts until at least some minimum number of Chrome users have downloaded the file and not actually reported it as a true threat, at which point the warnings cease. Basically, Google considers every file as guilty until proven innocent. It's highly annoying for us, as it causes all sorts of unnecessary confusion and worry for our users. But it's the way Google chooses to operate, and there's nothing we know of to circumvent these false warnings.

We all utilize anti-virus software here in the dev team, so the file should be completely safe. If you want to double-check the file, I encourage you to scan the file yourself with whatever anti-virus software you're utilizing. That's easy to do and should put your mind at ease.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The issue is that Chrome actually performs NO checking of any files for viruses. It simply assumes that any potentially executable file is infected. Only after enough people download the file without reporting a problem do they then stop issuing false warnings.

All Google needs to do is revise the language of their warning to be accurate and the problem goes away. Simply tell users the file is unknown and has no history, so the user should be cautious and run some sort of anti-virus scan to check the file before using it. But accuracy like that would apparently be wrong for Google, since it doesn't feed into our alarmist society.

<sigh>
rob is offline   #6
Alarian

Old November 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The issue is that Chrome actually performs NO checking of any files for viruses. It simply assumes that any potentially executable file is infected. Only after enough people download the file without reporting a problem do they then stop issuing false warnings.

All Google needs to do is revise the language of their warning to be accurate and the problem goes away. Simply tell users the file is unknown and has no history, so the user should be cautious and run some sort of anti-virus scan to check the file before using it. But accuracy like that would apparently be wrong for Google, since it doesn't feed into our alarmist society.

<sigh>
Yea, this is what I had assumed. It was an exe file and it just defaulted to being unsafe because it.
Alarian is offline   #7