Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

koesherbacon

Old September 19th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Hello HeroLab devs, mods and, of course, other users!

I have been using (and loving) HeroLab for a very long time and as a Linux user I have found using PlayOnLinux (which I'll refer to as 'POL' from here onward) as a front-end GUI for Wine. For those of you who are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, that basically means that POL simplifies setting up software designed for Windows using a tool which emulates that environment on a Linux OS.

In other words, POL allows users to "trick" some software into thinking it is being run on Windows, the OS it is intended run on, even though it is not. More simply, POL let's people use Windows software on Linux for a number of reasons which don't really matter here on the HL forums. Many software titles will not work with POL or Wine for one reason on another... luckily HL absolutely will!

When one first start POL, they can begin installing software two different ways. The easiest is click on "Install a program" and simply select something that's already been added to POL's library by browsing the collection or searching for a specific title. For example all it takes to install "MS Paint" is clicking "next" until it's installed and ready to go.

The other way is slightly more complicated... and of course HL can only be installed using this method. Installing programs this way involves creating the virtual environment first. Next the user must configure the environment to (hopefully) ensure the software will install correctly. Finally, after getting everything set up properly, the user can begin installing the software through its .exe or .msi installation program. So while it's not that difficult if you know what you're doing it, I can easily imagine that this could be quite confusing for some people.

What I'd like to know is if The Lone Wolf Devs would give me permission to submit HeroLab to POL's "Supported Software", which would allow users to use the first, easier method for installation. I really would love to submit it so other Linux users can still use HL without having to either dual-boot with Linux & Windows, or install a virtual machine like VirtualBox, Gnome-Boxes, Vagrant, etc.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm looking forward to chatting with you about this

~ Ev

PS -- If this is not in the correct forum, please let me know where it should go instead. I'll be happy to move it
koesherbacon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 19th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Knowing that the Devs are flat chat preparing HLO for open beta and the Realm Works Content Market I suggest you email this request to them. Probably a question for the sales department.

sales@wolflair.com

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 20th, 2017, 02:17 AM
There have been numerous discussions about using Wine to run Hero Lab, which Love Wolf staff have contributed to, so you're probably in the clear, but it is probably a good idea to contact Rob and the rest since you're technically using Trademarked terms if you mention the product name.
Duggan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Or Lone Wolf may prefer that Linux users go straight for HeroLab Online since all that's required is a modern browser.

I wonder if that means I'll be able to use Herolab on my Amiga.
LazarX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
eruvanna

Old October 28th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
I wonder if that means I'll be able to use Herolab on my Amiga.

I thought you said modern...
eruvanna is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old October 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruvanna View Post
I thought you said modern...
"You think your Commodore 64 is really neat-o!
What kinda chip you got on there? A Dorito?"

- All About the Pentiums
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote