Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

SquareBottle

Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:04 PM
Everybody understands why Lone Wolf wants each person to purchase their own license. It's a fair way of doing things on the business side, but I believe that there might be some ways that could be more profitable to Lone Wolf while also being more friendly to groups.

Option 1: Short-term tickets. One person is the original owner, and a small amount can be paid per person to make the license transferable for a small period of time -- lets say three days so that it'll last a weekend. This way, when characters level up, everybody in the group can use Hero Lab on their home computer (more value for players) and provides a steady stream of income each time it the group needs to share the copy of Hero Lab.

Option 2: Enforced pitching in. A group account would be like a normal account in every way, except that purchasing add-ons would work slightly differently. Whenever the group wants to purchase an add-on, they are required to purchase one add-on per license. Hero Lab enjoys the revenue from many people buying more add-ons than normal and also more frequently, and players get to enjoy having the same content.

Option 3: Linked accounts with add-on cost adjustment that depends on the number of licenses linked. Everybody purchases a base copy of Hero Lab. For every linked license, the cost of buying add-ons is raised. Users still get a discount that they can theoretically take advantage of to get a better price than if they had all paid indinvidually for the same stuff, but in practice, Lone Wolf would make much more money because the individuals in each player group who actually purchases lots of add-ons would still do so while the individuals who wouldn't make purchases anyway still sit there. In essence, Lone Wolf enjoys a price close to what they'd get if each person in a group paid, while the individual who does the purchasing would be completely on their own when it comes to getting their friends to reimburse them. But the group gets its shared Hero Lab, so everybody is happy.

I believe all three of these models would increase Lone Wolf's profits because of how it would allow them to profit from the players in groups who wouldn't purchase their own copy of Hero Lab. I also believe all of these models would add value for users by making it significantly easier for a group to use Hero Lab.

Of course, I'm sure there are many more possible ways of doing it that would be profitable for Lone Wolf with minimal implementation effort. If we can explore this, then I'm sure we can come up with one that makes everybody happy (and makes Lone Wolf richer).
SquareBottle is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old February 27th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Thank you for your valuable insight! I've passed your ideas on.
Rone is offline   #2 Reply With Quote