Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Quintain

Old December 12th, 2017, 09:18 AM
For Hero Lab usage, what would be the best cloud service (similar to dropbox) that could be used?

Does Amazon Drive work with Hero Lab?

Last edited by Quintain; December 12th, 2017 at 09:46 AM.
Quintain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
khaoz

Old December 12th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I (ab)use Google Drive, Drive File Stream is a wonder of the future in my book, but every now and then, portfolio saving fails two or three times, so I just keep hitting the Save button 'til it clears.
khaoz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old December 13th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Anyone else have any recommendations for a cross-platform cloud service that they know works with Hero Lab?

Does dropbox still work?
Quintain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 13th, 2017, 10:49 AM
HL app now works with the iOS Cloud Service features of iOS 11+. This means any cloud service app that correctly reports its self as a cloud service app to the iPad can be used.

Yes Dropbox is fully supported and my group continuous to use it and iCloud. The big DIFFERENCE is that its not as seamless anymore. You must copy to and from the cloud service now. So you import the .por from the cloud service to a local iPad copy. You play the game/session and at the end of the game you have to "export" the file back to the cloud service to allow other devices (ie windows) to use the file. This process is no longer done automatically like with the old Dropbox API.

If a "cloud" service is NOT displaying in the iPad app browse window. Please START the cloud service app and make sure its "updated" and you have signed into it. Doing this has fixed my players cloud services to make them appear.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 14th, 2017, 05:37 AM
I use MS OneDrive, but I my entire RPG content sync'd between the cloud and 3 computers (desktop, Tablet, laptop). This way no matter what I do, it is the same on all systems.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
HL app now works with the iOS Cloud Service features of iOS 11+. This means any cloud service app that correctly reports its self as a cloud service app to the iPad can be used.

Yes Dropbox is fully supported and my group continuous to use it and iCloud. The big DIFFERENCE is that its not as seamless anymore. You must copy to and from the cloud service now. So you import the .por from the cloud service to a local iPad copy. You play the game/session and at the end of the game you have to "export" the file back to the cloud service to allow other devices (ie windows) to use the file. This process is no longer done automatically like with the old Dropbox API.

If a "cloud" service is NOT displaying in the iPad app browse window. Please START the cloud service app and make sure its "updated" and you have signed into it. Doing this has fixed my players cloud services to make them appear.

Hope that helps.
It does. I'm more of an android guy but I have an Ipad Pro. One thing that I found was that browsing of the iCloud from the Ipad (through whatever means) doesn't seem to pick up any files I drop into it from my PC at home without tethering to the PC itself. Is that normal, or is there a way to force a read of the iCloud drive without needing to tether the ipad?
Quintain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old December 14th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I use MS OneDrive, but I my entire RPG content sync'd between the cloud and 3 computers (desktop, Tablet, laptop). This way no matter what I do, it is the same on all systems.
That's pretty much my intent. Plan to upload my entire PDF library and Hero lab portfolios/.hl files for use between systems.
Quintain is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 14th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
It does. I'm more of an android guy but I have an Ipad Pro. One thing that I found was that browsing of the iCloud from the Ipad (through whatever means) doesn't seem to pick up any files I drop into it from my PC at home without tethering to the PC itself. Is that normal, or is there a way to force a read of the iCloud drive without needing to tether the ipad?
It sounds like you did not install Windows iCloud (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204283) actually. Once installed on windows you sign in with your apple account and a new folder option will appear in Windows Explorer called "iCloud". Any changes you make to folders/files in the iCloud folder in Windows will then sync back to what you see on the iPad. Or at least it does for me as I not only store some characters but all my Pathfinder pdfs. This allows my goodreader app to easily get to all the pdfs on my iPad or I can get to them from my computer.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 14th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
That's pretty much my intent. Plan to upload my entire PDF library and Hero lab portfolios/.hl files for use between systems.
I did sync my HL files that way once, but it kept bugging out and giving license errors in HL on two the three machines. So I gave up, and just keep HL files separate, but everything else is handled by OneDrive (or RW in its case).

I am a 365 subscriber so I have OneDrive. I refuse to use any google product, especially their cloud. I still remember reading their terms of use, dictating to me that they suddenly gained and owned the rights to anything I saved on it. Deleting my Gmail account and waving goodbye to android was a great day.

No idea what I am going to do when my W10 phone no longer works. /sigh

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
nylanfs

Old December 18th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Not to nitpick, but have you ever read any of MS Word's EULA? Technically it could be read that anything you make with that is MS's property.

Although I don't think there has been a court case testing EULA's fully.

Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
PCGen BoD - PR Silverback
Forums: Nylanfs (or Nylan)

Hero Lab Shadowrun 4E & 5e user
nylanfs is offline   #10 Reply With Quote