Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Toblakai

Old September 4th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Yeah I doubt they will ever touch Kickstarter again. Software development is on my hard rule of things to never back. They always run over schedule and over budget.
A high percentage of software that is funded by Kickstartered gets abandoned and quite a few have made national news as a result permanently damaging their brand.
I don't fund Kickstarters expecting anything. If it doesn't get done, oh well no big deal. If it does, win win! But I usually don't back for over $100.
Toblakai is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old September 4th, 2017, 08:02 PM
I back way too much. The biggest one I have backed so far came in just under a grand. But so far I've had positive returns on everything. Except one computer game that failed to reach it's target. I was willing to break my rule for a remake of Sim Ant.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/289462234

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Fobok

Old September 4th, 2017, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I don't fund Kickstarters expecting anything. If it doesn't get done, oh well no big deal. If it does, win win! But I usually don't back for over $100.
That's generally my rule, too. I invest in things I'd like to see, but I treat it as an investment. Sometimes, investments don't turn out. :-) That's why I don't invest more than I can lose. I think I've only gone past the $100 mark once. But, I think I've only ever had one (not the same one) investment totally fail. In that, I've been very lucky.
Fobok is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Alewis

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Even if they don't, HL has a much larger existing and potential customer base than RW. It makes complete sense that they would emphasize getting HLO out first, especially with the opportunity to release right after the release of Star Finder.

There are many features I would like to see in RW (*cough* custom calendars *cough*), but they need to be a profitable company to do so.
I'm not so sure about that. Who's going to buy HLO that doesn't already own Classic? The new features are not groundbreaking enough that people who were on the fence about Hero Lab are going to be convinced to buy it now. Nobody is comfortable with the risk of spotty internet and the chances of ALL players at the table owning HLO to even make use of the features is low.

People that want Starfinder would have spent the same money for the classic version.

People who already own HL "might" convert to HLO but the cost (and profit) is minimal.

I don't think its a terrible idea, its probably not going to lose money, but I don't think its going to get new customers.

Edit: and if I was a RW customer I'd be pretty upset. Finishing RW would get me to buy in and they'd get more money from me for that than converting to HLO.

Last edited by Alewis; September 5th, 2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added to
Alewis is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old September 5th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Well as I do believe that the marketing for Realm Works should be further built up to increase revenue, there path to HLO with Star Finder just coming out is a business strategy to further strengthen there financial standing. Honestly though I have seen adverts for Herolab for some time, but rarely any adverts for Realm Works and getting more sales there needs to be given a boost. Although I don't really understand Realm Works interface well, mainly do to the fact I have no prior experience working with realm building software (if any others exist).

Plus any tutorial video I have seen on it makes me sleepy. Which sadly makes this difficult for me to gasp the software. Herolab though I get and have had time to code in it, even applying that knowledge to d20 and 5e. I am hoping for a better API and UI update to Realm Works (which I guess is in the works from what I have read thus far) and with HLO perhaps a possible Dynamic Map tool that uses Realm Works files and imports them for active use with HLO?! That would be a new thing that would get alot of customers, since that would allow for interesting convention events; let alone local play.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 5th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewis View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Who's going to buy HLO that doesn't already own Classic? The new features are not groundbreaking enough that people who were on the fence about Hero Lab are going to be convinced to buy it now. Nobody is comfortable with the risk of spotty internet and the chances of ALL players at the table owning HLO to even make use of the features is low.

People that want Starfinder would have spent the same money for the classic version.

People who already own HL "might" convert to HLO but the cost (and profit) is minimal.

I don't think its a terrible idea, its probably not going to lose money, but I don't think its going to get new customers.

Edit: and if I was a RW customer I'd be pretty upset. Finishing RW would get me to buy in and they'd get more money from me for that than converting to HLO.

The proof will be in the pudding. When it is first released, I probably won't buy in as I'm only running and playing 5e and the new Paranoia (plus the occasional one-shot of highly obscure games that would not benefit from HL). But if they can offer the ability to have all my players' character sheets sync'd up with the tactical console on my tablet laptop and if they improved the tactical console to automate more of the condition tracking, and if it worked with the SRD, I would be all over that. I would buy for myself and my players and pay for the subscription. And that is after already plunking down a lot of money for DnD Beyond.

As for what I've spent on HL Classic, I don't mind the sunk cost if the new product is superior. It is easy for me to say that because, unlike many Pathfinder players/DMs here, I have not spent *that* much on HLC. That said, HLC will continue to be supported for some time and your content that you buy/bought for HLC will (eventually) be on HLO.

Of course, a lot of this isn't going to be ready at launch. I expect their focus is to take advantage of the popularity of Starfinder. If they offer a compelling platform for Starfinder, that should bring in a lot of new customers and convince many current customers to buy, which will fund further development.

As for upsetting RW customers, it is only really upsetting the KS backers. I bought RW for what it was and it serves me well. This is the risk with KS. If you don't have the appetite for scope and schedule changes, don't buy it until it is released and you can verify that it has the features you need.

I spend far too much money on KS. Most of my tabletop hobby spend is done through KS. I know the risk and I've been burned, but I get early access to some great products that may never see wide commercial release and often there are some amazing deals. I find it best to just ignore the comments, skim the updates when they come to my e-mail, and just wait for the backerkit or other fulfillment communication. If fulfillment never happens or the product isn't quite what I was hoping for? Ah well, a bad bet.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old September 11th, 2017, 11:33 PM
Any updates on a release schedule?
talsharien is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Gobrious

Old September 13th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Q: Will Hero Lab Classic support Starfinder.
A: Starfinder is a unique system with various aspects that are much better suited to Hero Lab Online.
It's not that unique, you can easily make it for the classic version. PCGen put out a character generator with a print option in their spare time for free, For Free!!! And for an alpha release, it's pretty solid.

I like Hero Labs over PCGen because it is a better piece of software(also more expensive), but seeing if my internet goes out or whatever I can't use one but I can use the other, the other wins.

Make Starfinder for Hero Labs Classic or have some sort of Offline version and print option. You have lots of people willing to throw money at you, just read the posts and comments, it'll be worth your time.
Gobrious is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old September 13th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Starfinder will be the killer app for Herolab Online.

If you want Herolab level support for the game, You'll sign on board because that will be your only option.
LazarX is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old September 13th, 2017, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarX View Post
Starfinder will be the killer app for Herolab Online.

If you want Herolab level support for the game, You'll sign on board because that will be your only option.
I would love Starfinder support. I would pay for Starginder for HLC.
I will not even consider HLO for many reasons.
I am fine with that decision.
Tekwych is offline   #30 Reply With Quote