Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Techgnosis

Old February 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Cough 5e Cough...

You know since that's what the majority of the market is playing.
*cough*D&D Beyond*cough*

Why would they not not focus on the low hanging fruit where there is a need, and not any officially supported competition?
Techgnosis is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Because they are standing at a point of change. A point where they can hold their head up high and claim they are the market leader I character generation tools. Because they could open their pockets up to a bigger market that is addicted to digital tools.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old March 3rd, 2018, 05:58 AM
I bought HERO LAB. It is the initial price hurdle you jump before you can extend the product to have support for various RPGs.

What is the timeline for getting Starfinder to the core Hero Lab product?

There is no way I am buying into a new system - if you want to compete with yourself, have a good time. When I bought Hero Lab, I had certain expectations about being able to extend it and observing a different product get Starfinder support is immensely disappointing and worrisome.

EDIT: This is from the store page for Hero Lab:

"We license the right to produce data packages for almost every game system Hero Lab supports. That means we're working directly with the companies that produce your favorite games, so we can ensure that our software supports their games optimally."

You might want to amend to include 'except for IPs we wish to put in other products" or pull it entirely since it is less than truthful.

Last edited by Topdecker; March 3rd, 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Topdecker is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 3rd, 2018, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
There is no way I am buying into a new system - if you want to compete with yourself, have a good time. When I bought Hero Lab, I had certain expectations about being able to extend it and observing a different product get Starfinder support is immensely disappointing and worrisome.
They don't currently have plans to make Starfinder for desktop Herolab. You also do not have to buy a "new system" to use HLO, what you buy for desktop will be usable for HLO once the support is added. They have mentioned a migration fee for Pathfinder but you then get a pretty much equal credit for the server maintenance fee.
Toblakai is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:07 PM
So the 80+ hours (and that is a conservative estimate) I have invested in adding custom settings and races will transport to HLO? I will be able to use that same knowledge gleaned from legacy with HLO to continue to make new rules for custom settings and races?
Topdecker is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdecker View Post
So the 80+ hours (and that is a conservative estimate) I have invested in adding custom settings and races will transport to HLO? I will be able to use that same knowledge gleaned from legacy with HLO to continue to make new rules for custom settings and races?
Correct on all counts.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Ian

Old March 3rd, 2018, 08:30 PM
One thing I'll warn you is that once we have PF and PF user content ready for HLO, any custom classes or archetypes may take some tweaking for it. Any needed adjustments should be straightforward, though, since it's about unifying how some similar-but-not-identical ways of doing things work across multiple game systems.
Ian is offline   #27 Reply With Quote