Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

TheSleeper

Old January 28th, 2016, 07:08 AM
I think that this would not be very hard to work. Just set names of currency pieces set value then set exchange rate to other currency's by the piece or group.

It would be a small table that a DM can input in some values and exchange rates.

Its a fairly simple task to make up a chart that can be done in a few hours or less for Excel or Google Docs. I am not so sure its needed with common currency's but one that is not built on a base 10 scale may have some need in a feature like this.
TheSleeper is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Really?

The dwarves use coins denominated in the pence shilling and pound sterling at a 12 to 20 to 1 ratio.

The elves use the standard cp, sp and gp.

The two races hate each other and their money is not directly negotiable.

The humans have two kingdoms. One favors the dwarves and the other favors the elves. Each has a currency that mirrors the currency of their favored race. Elven currency can be exchanged for human currency of the appropriate type at a slight, but variable, surcharge and the same for the dwarven.

The two human kingdoms do trade and their currencies do interchange but the values are also variable as the balance of trade varies and quite often the coins are simply melted as precious metal.

Now expand the model to say a dozen different currency creating bodies.

Now about that simple chart of exchange rates?
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
TheSleeper

Old January 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Yep that's simple
human Elf lovers to Elf .9 to 1 ratio
Human dwarf lover to dwarf ratio .9 to 1

human kingdom others groups currency .25 to 1 value ratio
Except for one Elf currency made of rare metal .33 to 1 ratio

That is all very simple to figure out and program with radio buttons or drop down’s and considering how much time you put into making a nation a very small amount of time spent figuring out the ratio for money exchanges is rather minor.

Since each currency is a number relation to another number relation. Create a currency set exchange rates in that currency and then set one exchange rate to currency A another to B and so on, then set an extra one if there is a coin of value.

Once you have done this its simple to get a very minor look up and reference code to figure out the cost involved.

It may seem complex but I can assure you it is quite the opposite.
TheSleeper is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Didn't you see the part where all of the exchange rates are variable?
kbs666 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 28th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Creating a mini stock market may be important to some people.

Indeed, what comes to mind for me is the character in one of the later books of the Book of Malazan that is subtly manipulating the market and buying up property and stockpiling wealth through shell companies. That kind of campaign could benefit from this.
AEIOU is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old January 29th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Could be done, as long as you can define a base currency, and have a conversion the other currencies are determined off of. Our outfit does that right now, using the dollar as the base currency. Of course, the real world monetary markets fluctuate daily, but that doesn't really need to be implemented in a fantasy world, where markets tend to remain stable unless there are HUGE catastrophes.

Still, can be rather complex. I would say the two most complex problems I've dealt with in the real world have been date/time conversions (damn you UTC offsets) and currency conversions. However, once you figure it all out it is rather satisfying to sit back and watch it all work. Of course, that's because the real world is full of inconsistencies. In the fantasy world, unless you want to mimic the real world, doesn't have to apply those inconsistencies. Sort of like moon phases, if you think about it. Complex, yes, but they all follow some type of pattern that can be repeatable.
Kendall-DM is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
TheSleeper

Old January 29th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Didn't you see the part where all of the exchange rates are variable?
Did you see the part where this is all numbers in a spread sheet? You can change the numbers manually or even add an inflation system for each currency to make changes, either way would be a very easy thing to do.
TheSleeper is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 29th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
Did you see the part where this is all numbers in a spread sheet? You can change the numbers manually or even add an inflation system for each currency to make changes, either way would be a very easy thing to do.
Changing the numbers manually would sort of defeat the purpose of what you're demanding. Inflation is not what is being discussed.
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
TheSleeper

Old February 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Changing the numbers manually would sort of defeat the purpose of what you're demanding. Inflation is not what is being discussed.
I am not demanding anything, I simply said it can be done even with the contrived exchange system you suggested would be necessary that no game I have ever seen uses. I also said you can easily make a system that lets you change a conversion rate from one currency to another easily by changing 1 pair of numbers. That does not defeat the purpose that IS the purpose.

Ignoring the contrived requests you made to make it sound difficult you tried to add in, the initial OP suggestion is would be very reasonable and very easy to do.

That said back when there was non base 10 coin systems this would of been useful with base 10 coin systems this is not needed.
TheSleeper is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old February 4th, 2016, 01:57 PM
I have to admit that I am not entirely sure what you want this to be able to do in Realm Works, but what about building a spreadsheet to do the conversions across multiple currencies and embedding it as a foreign object in Realm Works?
JustinThomason is offline   #20 Reply With Quote