Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Syncing the player view would also not work for perhaps the majority of users where the screen size is different between their preparation machine (e.g. desktop PC) and the GMing machine (e.g. laptop). The position and size of windows would have to be different in this case.
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 7th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Out of curiosity, for those of you who prep your player view, how much stuff are you sharing? My main use of the player view is for throwing up maps. I'll prep a small number of maps (an area map and one or more local and/or battlemaps and open up additional maps as they progress through the adventure, closing those no longer needed. I find things can become sluggish or unstable if I have too many items open at once and I don't find it that hard to put up a new map.

Also, personally, I find it more difficult to juggle lots of items in the player view than to just add items from encounters as needed.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old December 7th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I often show around 5-8 items at once.
They are a combination of photos, images, maps and text based material.
adzling is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old December 7th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I show text based stuff, particularly when players ask me how to spell something (which I'm bemused by - why does it matter if you spell someone's name correctly in your own notes?), maps and pictures.

My #1 use is maps.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 7th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
(which I'm bemused by - why does it matter if you spell someone's name correctly in your own notes?)
Because if it's spelled correctly but you can't pronounce it, you can at least spell it/show it to the GM and they can probably figure out who you meant. Paizo (to pick on one company) tends to have horrible messes for NPC names, resulting in things that are difficult to both spell and pronounce. There's no way I'd get some of those right three or four sessions (== two months) later.

Parody is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 9th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I don't prepare player views at all.

My gaming style is pretty free flowing and improvised to a certain extent (I know exactly what I want to happen, but it might suddenly happen in the alley in stead of in the house or the encounter might take a different turn), so I find and reveal things as the flow dictates.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I don't prepare player views at all.

My gaming style is pretty free flowing and improvised to a certain extent (I know exactly what I want to happen, but it might suddenly happen in the alley in stead of in the house or the encounter might take a different turn), so I find and reveal things as the flow dictates.
Do you find that RW slows things down for you? I think that is what the OP's original concern was. Personally, I find it easy to review and show in player view on-the-fly if I already have the topic open. The issue for me is that their is a lag in opening new tabs and also the search could be a little snappier. If I have to search for, open, review, and display in player view a topic, that will create a noticeable lag.

So, I tend to prep by:
  1. Creating a session-specific view so I have an uncluttered navigation pan showing only those topics that I am likely to need during that session.
  2. Have several tabs open for topic that I know will be access frequently.
  3. A couple maps that I know will be needed, put into player review, that just need to be toggled on during the game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
@MNBlockHead:

No, I don't find that RW slows down my play. Au contraire.

Generally I might have a few tabs open on the right persons and places (mostly because I just read up on things right before my players arrive) and I wring the rest from there.

Often I have stuff open in players view from last or last-last session

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old December 9th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Do you find that RW slows things down for you?
Only if I haven't prepped properly by doing the things you suggest - having the screens I'll be using in a specially created section and opening the ones I'll mostly need in tabs in advance.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #19 Reply With Quote