Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thor

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
This is my experience on installation of Hero Labs on Vista64 and the emails I sent to Lone Wolf. Did research as I couldn't wait. Hope this helps someone else.
========================================
Email 1
----------
[problems after activation]

Greetings!

I downloaded Hero Labs demo yesterday and purchased it today. after i went through the activation process, it said there was a now images update so i allowed it to update but it could not. I then selected the locate file and loaded it that way. it was successful. However, when i try to select and load the program for the first time it can't.

attached are the screen shots of each step

the demo worked perfectly. i placed the install in the following directory:
c:\Program Files (x86)\

on original installation it was going to install it in the
c:\Program Files\
but this folder is only for 64bit software and i manually selected the 32 bit folder.

could this be the issue?

please let me know.

Thanks!
[images removed as they are not needed here]
Email 2
----------
[Re: problems after activation - additional info ...]

Greetings again! ... here is some more information.

First, here is my licence info:

[information deleted]

i read under the forums about similar issues with other people. One person ran as administrator and it worked but everytime he ran it he had to run as administrator. I tried to run as administrator and it took me through initial start up as if i never purchased it and did not want to reactivation and waste an install nor run the demo to kill my previous licence. I Task Managered force quit the application at that point as there was no way to cancel or quit without either runing demo or activating.

That's about it.

It looks like a great product and i can't wait to use it!

Thanks!
Email 3
----------
Found the problem and know how to fix with all vista and possibly windows 7 OS.

I uninstalled and reinstalled with a different path altogether

The problem is permissions as everyone knows. But you do not have to always run as administrator to get it to work.

Installing any software that is not optimized to work with permissions in vista/7 will always have issues.

I created a new folder called 'Program Files' under my account name where the other folders such as 'AppData', Documents' and 'Public' reside. This area under user does not have the restriction of permissions. I installed in the newly created folder and it works as intended.

I will post this information in the forums if it's okay with you.

thanks!

NOW ON TO MAKING TOONS!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=============================================

enjoy folks

Thor
Thor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:34 PM
Two important details here that need to be pointed out...

1. By default, Hero Lab will be installed into the directory "c:\HeroLab". If you accept this default location, there will be no behavioral problems. The problems only arise if you install the product beneath the "c:\Program Files" folder (or "Program Files(x86)" for 64-bit users).

2. If you DO install beneath "Program Files", there is NO need to run everything as an Administrator. All that's required is to run Hero Lab itself with Administrator privileges. This is achieved by right-clicking on the shortcut icon used to launch Hero Lab within the Windows Start menu. Select the "Properties" option, then click on the "Compatability" tab. Check the box for "Run as Administrator" and then save the change. Now Hero Lab will launch with Administrator privileges and work properly, but nothing else on your system will be affected.

The question was raised in another thread regarding why this problem exists in the first place, and it was explained over there. You'll find a link to that thread below:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9815
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote