Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

SAbel

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Rob,
Just stoping by on my Lunch today
I like the idea, I am thinking to just have the choices and let the player pcik the heritage from a drop down list, if they wish to roll it from the book then they can pick the correct option from the list. Then in the character notes add details.

I would have not thought to put the tags in the equipment, I was going to try and figure some type of list or table/ matirx to pull from. You way of course is much better. That should not take to much time at all. I can just make the tag line and then look up each item to add it to. That is great work.
I was trying to look throught he Rokugen program last night but it is mainly in Python/GTK+ so I could not see how they did most of thier basics.

Here is hoping that you guys are having a good day on your side of the US it windy/snowy/rainy here in Ohio

Yummy
SAbel is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Start by defining an identity tag group on the schools. Then you can assign the school identity tags to the equipment and skills that are conferred by the school. If a particular skill is provided by multiple schools, the skill receives tags for each school that is applicable.

Once this is done, you'll be able to instantly identify the starting equipment and skills based on the selected school simply by checking for the appropriate tag.
Okay So I have attempted this but I am not able to figure out how and were I can Defining an identity tag group, as in which files do I need to go into and what all do I need.

I figure a tag would look like this for the school Hida, some problem may be that I use sk for skills ids and eq for Gear id.
skill
<tag group="Start" tag="skHida"/>
equipment
<tag group="Start" tag="eqHida"/>

I am having a problem finding out were and how to define the tag group AKA "Start" would be the group for all starting equipment and skills.
Once I figure out how to properly add tag groups that will go a long way to help me in define other areas such as groups with in skills (high skills, low skills, ect) Spell types, advantages and disadvantages that are cheaper for some families ect.
SAbel is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Identity tags are defined in the structural files. So in this case, probably traits.str. Scroll through there and you'll see a line like:

<!-- Each skill needs its own identity tag so existing skills can be identified during advancement -->
<identity group="Skill"/>

(That's lines 166 and 167 of the skeleton files - in the skill component).

You would add:

<identity group="School"/>

To your school component.

It will then generate tags like School.schHida and School.schAnother automatically - one for each school that's created.
Mathias is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Mathias,
I already had that line in the trait file
<component
id="School"
name="School"
autocompset="yes">

<!-- Each School needs its own identity tag to configure the hero appropriately -->

<!-- Track the School on the actor by assigning the appropriate tag -->
<eval index="1" phase="Setup" priority="5020"><![CDATA[
perform forward[Family.?]
]]></eval>

</component>
SAbel is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I must be missing something else at someplace.
SAbel is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
perform forward[Family.?]

shouldn't that be:
perform forward[School.?]

I know how easy it it to forget to change something after a copy and paste.
Mathias is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Okay I am stupid well at least thick!
I was attempting to make a new tag group when all i needed was the schools tag to have for the equipment so here is a weapon
<thing
id="wpKatanaM"
name="Katana"
compset="Melee"
description="Description goes here">
<fieldval field="shortname" value=""/>
<fieldval field="wpBonus" value="0"/>
<fieldval field="wpDamage" value="3K2"/>
<fieldval field="wpStrReq" value="0"/>
<fieldval field="wpSpecial" value="Spend one void to roll/keep 1 die for dmg. Or 2 void to roll/keep 2 die for dmg"/>
<fieldval field="grCost" value="20"/>
<fieldval field="gearWeight" value="5"/>
<tag group="School" tag="scHida"/>
Now how do I make it so that when a school is picked that the tag items are added, this will apply to both equipment and skills.
I now believe that I will have to tag all items from each school ect AKA the above item would be starting weapon for nearly every samurai class so a tag for each one needs to be added.

Can I then use tags to go on advantages that are cheaper for one Clan/family than others?
SAbel is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yes that was perform forward[School.?] thanks I missed it.
SAbel is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Since you have your School Identity tags generated, you'll put:

<tag group="School" tag="schHida"/>

on all the equipment/skills that go with the Hida school.

Thinking about it, you may want to add a second identity tag to your schools to identify the starting things:

<identity group="Start"/>

(and forward that tag, too).

That way, you can change whether a school grants starting equipment by changing whether the Start tag is on the hero without changing whether it counts towards pre-reqs (those would check for the School.? tag).
Mathias is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
The "intersect[]" reference is what you can use to test whether a tag on the hero also exists on the thing you're testing.

Here's an example of it in use, from the Pathfinder files:
Code:

if (hero.intersect[FavClass,FavClass] <> 0) then
perform assign[Helper.FavorClass]
endif
If a FavClass tag on the hero matches a FavClass tag on the pick that's running this script, then it assigns itself a tag. This means that something external (a feat for example) can say "Fighter is a favored class" by doing this:

perform hero.assign[FavClass.cFighter]

Later on, that snippet of code runs, and if it's running on the Fighter class (which has the FavClass identity group), and finds FavClass.cFighter, then it knows it's supposed to be a favored class.
Mathias is offline   #20 Reply With Quote