Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Darkkon278

Old March 25th, 2018, 11:05 PM
I am trying to get a power extra to work with the array when it is dynamic. the power extra reads as follows.

When applied to a power with Dynamic Alternate Effects, this modifier provides 1 additional point per rank to be distributed among those Alternate Effects. Essentially, this allows more powers to be activated at once with greater potency without making the base power effects themselves more powerful. No one of these powers can have more points allocated to it than
its normal maximum.

Do not include the cost of this extra when considering how many points are available to build the primary power’s Alternate Effects. It is purchased in a fashion that serves as a pool of points that is applied directly to the array itself. This extra cannot provide more additional points than the maximum required to activate all Dynamic Alternate Effects simultaneously.

The dynamic extra of a power effect within an array need not be paid for from the reservoir’s available points in order to activate the desired alternate effect, even if using the effect at its full capabilities.

Basically short answer is this what ever is the cost of the main govnering power it adds it to the dynamic array example

Array cost (38) reservoir (36)
Fireball 12 -- 36(Cone area range damage)dyn
FireFlight 10 -- 20 dyn
fireport 12 -- 24 dyn

Thanks for the help.
Darkkon278 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2018, 07:39 PM
I'm not entirely certain how you want this to work. When you say "1 per rank", do you just mean like a "Flat +1 Extra"? Could you give an example of how the point cost would show up for your current example?
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Darkkon278

Old March 28th, 2018, 08:13 PM
from my example, I get an extra 36pp to spend on the dynamic array.

this extra comes from better mouse trap and I am trying to add it hero lab.

Last edited by Darkkon278; March 28th, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Darkkon278 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 28th, 2018, 09:14 PM
A "Wide" Array, introduced in the Power Profiles, does something like what you want. Unfortunately, all of the code to handle that is pretty well hidden, although it looks like it works off of "pwMaxAltCs". The next problem we face is a lack of ways to add an Extra to the powers...
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jmucchiello

Old March 31st, 2018, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
A "Wide" Array, introduced in the Power Profiles, does something like what you want. Unfortunately, all of the code to handle that is pretty well hidden, although it looks like it works off of "pwMaxAltCs". The next problem we face is a lack of ways to add an Extra to the powers...
I just looked through the Power Profiles book and did not see any variants for Array at all. Is it in the book or only in the HL Power Profile implementation (which I don't have).

For the OP, I think the real problem is there's no way to add any extras or flaws to the ARRAY itself in HL. If there were, he could at least use a quirk to do this.
jmucchiello is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Darkkon278

Old March 31st, 2018, 08:36 PM
@jmucchiello == it comes from the better mouse trap book
Darkkon278 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 31st, 2018, 09:23 PM
Er... not really. It started in the 2E Masterminds Manual, and got moved into the 3E Gadget Guides, specifically the 3E Utility Gadget Guide, which was in the same update as the Power Profiles.

But yes, Arrays don't take Extras or Flaws in 3E. At best, they're Quirks in the canonical material.
Duggan is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
jmucchiello

Old April 1st, 2018, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
But yes, Arrays don't take Extras or Flaws in 3E. At best, they're Quirks in the canonical material.
But you can't even add a quirk to an array. You just have to have it as a free floating quirk.

This is probably my Expertise: Champions showing. But being able to add a limitation to an array seems helpful, it says, all powers in the array MUST have this limitation and it saves copying the limitation to each power in the array.
jmucchiello is offline   #8 Reply With Quote