Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hey all (mainly Mghel) for all the help but I am back again
here is what I think I am doing wrong (this is from the Wiki files)

Getting Everything to Work
If we were to re-compile the data files at this point, we would have an error that still needs to be resolved, so we'll address it now.
Open the "tags.1st" file and locate the "HideTab" tag group. The "abilities" tag needs to be changed to "skills", since that's what we
now key on within the Live tag expression of the panel.

*** I make it to this point BUT then next area I think is were I am messing up, I believe that I am not finding or understanding what the panel linkages are/located. I understand taht they are sending a message to look for a tab that is no longer there (since we have changed its name to Skills now, but am I only looking in the tags.1st file and do I change everything that says "abilities" to "basics" or is it only a specfic type of line I am looking for?***

There are also a few panel linkages on components that are currently tied to the "abilities" tab as a placeholder. These linkages are for edges and the like that have no relationship to the "Skills" tab, but we need to change them to something so the compiler can resolve everything.

We can change the linkages to "skills", "basics", or any other tab, as long as the tab exists. We'll change it to "basics" as something safe for the time being. We'll fix it once we have a suitable tab in place to hook these components up to. We should now be able to re-load our data files and see our new "Skills" tab appear. It isn't working correctly yet, but we'll take care of that in the following sections.
SAbel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Sorry Mgehl for the name typo
SAbel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
after I change the "hide tab" from abilities to skills I get this error

The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:

Syntax error in 'evalrule' script for Thing 'valAbility' (Eval Rule '#1') on line 9
-> Non-existent panel 'abilities' used by script
Syntax error in 'evalrule' script for Thing 'valAbility' (Eval Rule '#2') on line 9
-> Non-existent panel 'abilities' used by script
Syntax error in 'titlebar' script for Portal 'skSkills' on line 2
-> Non-existent thing 'resSkill' used by script
Syntax error in 'headertitle' script for Portal 'skSkills' on line 2
-> Non-existent thing 'resSkill' used by script
Syntax error in 'position' script for Layout 'skills' on line 10
-> Non-existent portal 'abAbility' used by script

If I change the other areas in the tags1.str that have abilities all to skills (there are two)
<group
id="Hide">
<value id="Attribute"/> <!-- Indicates an attribute that is not user selectable -->
<value id="Skill"/> <!-- Indicates a skill that is not user selectable -->
<value id="InPlay"/> <!-- Indicates an in-play adjustment that is hidden from view -->
<value id="Ability"/> <!-- Indicates an ability that is not user selectable (i.e. conferred by race or similar mechanism) -->
<value id="Special"/> <!-- Indicates a trait that is hidden from the Special tab -->
<value id="Tracker"/> <!-- Indicates a tracker that is hidden from the In-Play tab (and likely shown somewhere else) -->
</group>

<group
id="SpecialTab"
sequence="explicit">
<value id="Ability" order="10"/>
<value id="Unknown" order="80"/>
</group>
I get this error
The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:

File: traits.str (line 218) - Component 'Ability' (dynamic tag) - Tag 'Ability' not defined
One or more timing errors were identified. Please review the timing report and correct the errors. You can access the report under the 'Develop' menu or by clicking this link.

I am at a loss as to what wrong.
SAbel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
and were does one enter the following:
<component
id="Skill"
name="Skill"
autocompset="no"
panellink="skills">
</component>

this is in the secound paragraph

Internal Mechanics Changes
We now need to make some internal changes to mechanics in order to get skills behaving properly. The first thing to address is the
fact that all skills are being automatically added to every character. In Savage Worlds, skills are purchased, so each character should
start out with zero skills. Open the file "bootstrap.1st" and look for the various "enmasse" entries. Each of these entries automatically
adds all things that satisfy a particular tag expression. One entry specifies all things with the "component.Skill" tag, which will add all
skills. Delete this "enmasse" entry.

The next detail we need to address is that there may be some skills that the user is not allowed to purchase directly and that are
automatically added (e.g. via edges, powers, etc.). This means that we need a method for designating some skills as hidden from the
user for selection. A general mechanism for hiding things/picks is already defined via the "Hide" tag group, and we already have a tag
for hiding skills in the "Hide.Skill" tag. We can assign this tag to any things that should be hidden from the user. The Candidate tag
expression of the table portal will preclude such things from being shown for selection.
If errors are identified with any skills, it would be helpful to the user for the "Skills" tab to appear in red, drawing attention to the
problem for easy correction. To simplify this, we need to associate all skills with the new tab. This can be accomplished by linking the
"Skill" component to the new "skills" panel via a "panellink" attribute.
SAbel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Ignore this post - I made a mistake in my assumptions.

Mathias Gehl

Last edited by Mathias; July 9th, 2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Original post was incorrect
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM
In the wiki walk "A Tab for Skills (Savage)" its page 439-443 if you have the pdf
it say to rename abilities tab to skills tab, b/c there is not a skill tab in the wakl through. then to go through and change all these labels for abilities to skills ect which I am getting lost b/c not everything tells me which files to find things like above.
I was hoping for a way to just add tabs (maybe more typing but if I know what to put in I am willing to type it out) so that I can add the info they
SAbel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Okay, first, for easy reference, here's the wiki page I think we're both working from:

http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Skills_(Savage)

In your XML editor, learn where the go to line function is. In mine (XML Spy 2006 - a nagware varsion that's no longer available), it's in the view menu, "Go to line/char -ctrl-g". The compiler in HeroLab will sometimes tell you the line number of an error, and in writing the Cortex files, I've had to look them up quite a number of times.

Last edited by Mathias; July 9th, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
In the system it does not use other races, yes there are some but most are never played (but I am sure someone would like them) instead there are different clans with multiple families (that give bonuses to abilities) and then finally schools (which also give bonuses to abilities and starting packages which included some skills with options of others to pick from, gear, money, and the rank ability (powers) for the school (a character receives one rank ability from the class each level (there is no choice it is a static set that is given to anyone in that school.
SAbel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAbel View Post
There are also a few panel linkages on components that are currently tied to the "abilities" tab as a placeholder. These linkages are for edges and the like that have no relationship to the "Skills" tab, but we need to change them to something so the compiler can resolve everything.

We can change the linkages to "skills", "basics", or any other tab, as long as the tab exists. We'll change it to "basics" as something safe for the time being. We'll fix it once we have a suitable tab in place to hook these components up to. We should now be able to re-load our data files and see our new "Skills" tab appear. It isn't working correctly yet, but we'll take care of that in the following sections.
This section is referring to traits.str
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I am using the XML maker which seems very basic. It has a "lookup" but it does not go by lines just text search,
SAbel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote