Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Ladyofdragons

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:49 AM
In our gaming group, both myself and my husband take turns in the GM pool. We each have our own separate campaign worlds. He also GMs Deadlands, Mutants & Masterminds, and other games for another group. So he would have several campaign files for his various games and I would need one for mine with some child "instances" for the various parties.

My original idea was to just get one DM account and share it. Then we would each use player accounts to log in when we're being player-ish. There really is no worry here about peeking at the other's campaign world data.

Does this sound like something that would work? Are there some possible gotchas I haven't thought of? If we're going to need a second account, I'd like to maybe get an additional Dire Wolf pledge in. Hoping we don't need it, the Howl at the Moon is stretching us as it is.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:00 AM
As long as you don't mind having access to his campaign information I don't see why you couldn't just have one GM account. The problem might be with the number of people trying to login to the one account concurrently.

After that, create two player accounts and it's all good.

With Howl at the moon being lifetime cloud service, I'd just share the GM account and be nice about when people access it. And trust that either of you won't go in and OGLE the others campaign.
Thrantor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Editting my post. I imagine it would work, but i guess the real question is is it in the spirit of one account per DM?

Last edited by mirtos; February 19th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
mirtos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 19th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Sharing an account is not something that will be condoned within the ToU/EULA. Using the same account simultaneously on two separate machines will also cause potentially significant problems when syncing data to the cloud, so that's something we'll be taking steps to help users avoid. If one extra person is "dabbling" in a completely separate space, it might be possible to get away sharing an account, but you'll definitely run into problems if multiple people are actively trying to use the same account at the same time.

All that being said, if two people treat the account like a physical book, then things ought to work out alright. Two people can't normally be reading the same physical book at the same time. For them to share the book, one has it for some amount of time, then the other has it for awhile, etc. If you treat your account like that, it should be workable, and you can then choose whether to ignore the ToU/EULA. However, I question whether two people who intend to seriously use Realm Works will be able to make that model work optimally over an extended period of time.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM
thanks, the perspective helps. Let's see if I can scrounge an extra $100 for a dire wolf. tax money is coming, but it's not here yet.

During the beta, however, I'm expecting the two of us will just hand it off between us and coordinate usage with the single account (unless you're willing to give us two accounts, which I'm not expecting). He's running right now, so that'll be our immediate in-game testing for the beta, I'll be confirming issues and providing his feedback. I'll be starting around april and I'm hoping to get the world info entered before then to test it from my perspective as the tech-savvy one.

One thing that surprises me is that the sync seems to be on an account level, rather than localized to whatever campaign you're working on at the time? I would think that would increase the damage from a possible bad sync. Not that I'm expecting bad syncs, but stuff happens.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #5 Reply With Quote