Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Dragnmoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 372

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Here is a list of Requests I would like to provide to Lone Wolf on capabilities I would like to see in HeroLabs. Anyone else is free to add to this thread what they would like to see. The reason why I am putting it here instead of the HeroLab forums, because some will be particular to Pathfinder

1. Capability to customize Character sheets - I know this is on your to do list, but it is about time it gets on the top, I am really starting to get frustrated with the default character sheet.

2. Capability to organize equipment lists by different columns, not just aphetically – Also for PFS it would be useful to remove items from the list that I cannot buy because I do not have the prestige to afford it.

3. Add a Stat Block only option in Print options - I was frustrated as hell when I realized I could not print my Bestiary encounters in the same format as in the Bestiary! To accomplish this I had to Copy past into another program, which is annoying as hell.

4. Better UI for the Editor – For people who have very little or no knowledge of programming your Editor is clear as Mud! What the hell is a bootstrap? You need to assume that the user does not have this knowledge and make the editor simpler and clearer. If I had the time I could teach myself but I don’t. If you want an example use the editor for RPGXplorer as a very well done editor.

5. The Ability to add Traits, Feats, Spells, similar stuff by name only. – I love that I can just add a new item that is blank and just add the cost and weight afterwards provide us the ability to do the same with all the other things we add to the character. I would like this so I can have the ability listed on the character sheet and adjust afterwards or by the Adjust Tab until you have added it in the database later on when you start adding more Paizo books. As an example I wanted to add a Trait that is not in your database yet, but to do so I had to use your editor which As I stated above I hate, it would have been much easier to just had it in name only, and adjust what I needed to adjust in the adjust tab.

I am sure I will come up with more.
Dragnmoon is offline   #1
ShadowChemosh
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago, IL (USA)
Posts: 10,700

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
5. The Ability to add Traits, Feats, Spells, similar stuff by name only. – I love that I can just add a new item that is blank and just add the cost and weight afterwards provide us the ability to do the same with all the other things we add to the character. I would like this so I can have the ability listed on the character sheet and adjust afterwards or by the Adjust Tab until you have added it in the database later on when you start adding more Paizo books. As an example I wanted to add a Trait that is not in your database yet, but to do so I had to use your editor which As I stated above I hate, it would have been much easier to just had it in name only, and adjust what I needed to adjust in the adjust tab.
I am not sure I understand why you can't do this? Using your trait as an example you can just do a New(Blank) Thing and input the Name, the Desc Text, and give it a unique ID. Then with mouse clicks choose the type of trait and now even select a specific god or race. No scripting required. Then do a Test(Now!) and the trait can be added to your character.

Then like you said just go to the adjust tab and do the adjust yourself.

A little more work would be to copy a trait(many are VERY alike) and take its script to do the adjustment for you so you don't forget after adding it to a character.

So one can just enter a Thing (used with a capital I am referencing things inside the Editor in a very Generic term) with text and a Unique ID and be done. For weapons or armor about 99% of everything you need to do to these Things is just a mouse click.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is online now   #2
Sendric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,744

Old August 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I think what he wants is to be able to do it without using the editor in the same way that you add a weapon or armor to the character sheet. Of course, the reason why you can do that with weapons and armor is because there are so many different types that it doesn't make sense to add them all via the editor. With traits/feats/spells/etc, it's easier to use the editor.
Sendric is offline   #3
Dragnmoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 372

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
I think what he wants is to be able to do it without using the editor in the same way that you add a weapon or armor to the character sheet. Of course, the reason why you can do that with weapons and armor is because there are so many different types that it doesn't make sense to add them all via the editor. With traits/feats/spells/etc, it's easier to use the editor.

I disagree, It would be much eaiser to do it they way i suggested like weapons and equipment, The Editor is a BEAST!!!!
Dragnmoon is offline   #4
Sendric
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,744

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
I disagree, It would be much eaiser to do it they way i suggested like weapons and equipment, The Editor is a BEAST!!!!
The editor isn't so bad. Even I'm figuring out how to do things with it. In fact, I'm adding Psionic Powers from Complete Psionics for the d20 system, and it really couldn't be much easier imo.

The problem with adding feats/spells/traits/etc the way you want to do it is that you'd have to do it for every character. If you create it in the editor it will always be there for whatever character you want to use it with, and you can make it add whatever adjustments are needed. Granted, your way would be easier if you are only ever using the feat/etc with one character, but I think for most of us we'd want to be able to use that new thing for multiple characters without having to create it every time.
Sendric is offline   #5
Dragnmoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 372

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
The editor isn't so bad. Even I'm figuring out how to do things with it. In fact, I'm adding Psionic Powers from Complete Psionics for the d20 system, and it really couldn't be much easier imo.

The problem with adding feats/spells/traits/etc the way you want to do it is that you'd have to do it for every character. If you create it in the editor it will always be there for whatever character you want to use it with, and you can make it add whatever adjustments are needed. Granted, your way would be easier if you are only ever using the feat/etc with one character, but I think for most of us we'd want to be able to use that new thing for multiple characters without having to create it every time.
My Idea is for as a Stop-Gap as they Input all of them from Pathfine over the next few years.

I am glad you find it easy, For myself it is not, and others I have spoken to as well.
Dragnmoon is offline   #6
risner
Senior Member
Volunteer Data File Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 616

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
I am glad you find it easy, For myself it is not, and others I have spoken to as well.
Ive been looking for a "usable" character sheet (app) for years. I've looked at etools, PCnet(sp?), rpgxplorer, and 5 to 8 different excel sheets to settle on my own custom excel sheet.

I looked again at HL in June at Paizocon and found it the closest to perfect of anything that came before it. The editor was easier to use than all the others before it. Despite the editor being hard to use (by some) it is the easiest of it's type.

The problem is that the complexity of the problem is what makes the editor more complex than you would wish. In short, I don't believe it can be made easier without making it complex.
risner is offline   #7
Jhalad
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 87

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'll admit, the editor is not incredibly easy, especially since it uses a unique programming language. But, that said, I've been learning by stealing. ie. I find another feat/trait/prestige class/etc that emulates what I want, and then just copy the code over. It would be great if there were a GUI that allowed all of this to go in easier, but the existing GUI covers the basics really well. There are A LOT of feats/traits/prestige classes out there that are simply too varied to allow for the makers of HL to cover all predictable aspects, especially at such a low price.

I bought Microsoft Frontpage years ago to easily create my own SRD, which I continue to make and use to this day. It cost $200, and covered most of what I wanted to do very easily. That said, it was made by dozens of people over hundreds of man hours by a company with the resources to do it.

Hero Lab has probably only a 10th of the resources that Microsoft does, and still manages to put out a decent product. Could it have more, yes? Could it have a lot yes? Heck yeah. I'm sure that the HL staff with continue to update and improve the base program as they can, but until then, we just gotta work on it as we can and learn. Programming is never easy, but I personally like the challenge. One thing I do wish for the whole stealing/converting aspect is that there was a list of common commands that change between versions of games (ie. translating something from 3.5 to pathfinder).

All I can say is, you can't have everything. Try and be patient and enjoy what is there already. In support of your ideas, I, too, would like to see a filter based on prestige points for buying gold piece items, and the ability to customize the character sheet some would be great. Be patient, and they'll get to it. They've got a massive amount of stuff on their plates, and the fact that they respond to our questions/posts on the forums as fast as they do is a great plus.
Jhalad is offline   #8
Dragnmoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 372

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Let me get something straight,

Especially with the UI, I know it would take a lot of effort and time to make it more User friendly, I am not saying I want it NOW NOW NOW!!!, All I am saying is it is something I would like to see and I think it is worth the effort of Lone Wolf to put the effort into it.
Dragnmoon is offline   #9
Dragnmoon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 372

Old August 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
I have Something else to add as a request.

Please add Spells to the HTML Statblock.

Currently I am using the HTML output for Obsidian Labs, and it would be nice if it included the spells.
Dragnmoon is offline   #10
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.