Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

zarlor

Old December 7th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Some of these were asked in the Savage Worlds forum, but I'm wondering if this might be a better venue.

One thing I need to be able to do is to hide a derived traits unless a certain Edge is taken. For example, I have a Derived Trait of Dominion which I only want to show if the Harrowed Edge is taken. I doesn't have to be a Derived Trait, though. If someone has a better way to handle a counter Trait that can be conditionally hidden dependent on an Edge that would be helpful too.

Also jbearwillis had asked (this is cut together so any editing errors are mine:

Quote:
Is there a way to have a drop down box that will allow you to make a choice between two or more different skills like you can in pathfinder or is this beyond the Savage Worlds core mechanics.

-----------

what I meant was in the feats and traits section, and I looked in the edge section and I can do the same thing in that area, at least in the way it looks, I think I can, not for sure. What I can do is make an edge and have the edge give a choice of the 2 different skills to chose from. I just have to figure it out. Something like the scholar edge, but having the skills drop down and you pick from those skills. and bootstrap it to a faction. Now to try to figure how to do it. I am starting over, learning this game mechanics from pathfinder in how the editor works. It sometime is a pain. LOL

-------------

I got the drop down box to show the 2 skills and can pick them but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get them to show up in the skills section after the selection of the skill - The script eludes me.
Finally I'm wondering what tools folks might be using for handling or creating custom output, specifically what might be some decent design tools to use for working with the statblock.xsl file using the appropriate .dtd that might allow me to graphically lay out a character sheet (or working with straight XML output but being able to graphically work with the layout rather than having to code it... I'm just not that good of a coder.)

Thanks for any assistance!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2012, 07:21 AM
The authoring kit forum is about how to create new game systems from scratch. If you have questions about an existing game system, please keep those in the appropriate forum.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I would argue these are not game specific questions... they are about trying to do things for this game sytem, but they are farily generic questions that apply to any game system! Add in the fact that we ALREADY asked these questions on this very forum and have gotten no answers and you just might, maybe, begin to understand the extreme frustration we're having here, Mathias.

Give some damned clue about who to ask for any of this stuff since nobody on this forum, and no developer, has ever bothered to help us out here. This is getting infuriating!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I agree with Zarlor - we have been asking questions for a week with no response from anyone - Share the love - Pathfinder gets answered by you and the forum this was taken from gets answers., But no love is shown to this forum. It use to but it doesn't seem to have anyone to answer questions now.
jbearwillis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
John
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hi! First off, sorry that your questions have gone unanswered. It's certainly our goal to do better than we have been in terms of responding.

I take full responsibility for this, and you have my sincere apologies. Since we don't have a full-time person working on Savage Worlds like we do the other systems, I should have been monitoring more closely to get you both the answers you're seeking. Additionally, our Savage Worlds implementation is a little bit different than some of the other game systems, so I need to tap into different folks than usually answer the questions in the other forums.

I'll see what I can do to get you some information in the very near future. Again, apologies for the delay.
John is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks John my faith is restored, I'm not sure, what is really capable in the savage worlds editor and that's why I personally have so many questions and I'm not sure how the scripts need to be written, because most of my knowledge comes from pathfinder and they are very much different . LOL. Thanks for the update and I am looking forward to your answers.
jbearwillis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:41 PM
This board isn't usually this active, at least as far as the technical-level questions you're asking. I'll try to assist you all I can. (Plus, I caught a nasty bug from someone at the office and have been down all week.)

I must say, you certainly dived right in. The questions you're asking are fairly specific, and I'll try to work through any answers I don't know right off-hand. I've been handling Savage Worlds for a while now, but John is the guru. I barely consider myself a jourrneyman.
CapedCrusader is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CapedCrusader I hope you are feeling better, and on the other note - I have had the Savage world Herolab game for a very long time, it's just my group plays our games in long stretches and we had finely come around to savage worlds. So I decided to dive in and work on my own space game - but found out this game editor is very much different then pathfinder in how scripts are written and it became a whole new bell curve to learn. That's were I need help is examples of scripts and such and how to write them for savage worlds. so needless to say I will be a pain asking a lot of questions.
jbearwillis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old December 8th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Not a pain at all. It's very cool when a new programmer starts to get into Hero Lab. It's a custom language, so it takes a little getting used to. But I've been a professional computer programmer for over 28 years, and this program has a level of flexibility like nothing I've ever seen before. The fact that it can handle so many different game systems is astounding in and of itself, but the level of customization possible in each system is nothing less than amazing.
Now, full disclosure here, I'm the one that wrote the last three major updates to Savage Worlds, so I have an interest in making it sound cooler than cool. But we can usually find a way to make it do what we want it to.
CapedCrusader is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old December 8th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately, Space is one area where there isn't a lot of material out there. There are some Settings (Slipstream, for example) but they are all fairly specific. There isn't a Sci-Fi Companion (yet?) so there isn't a lot of "generic" source info out there. Most of it is older material.
CapedCrusader is online now   #10 Reply With Quote