Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
pyremius
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 220

Old January 16th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I think it's a dead-end on the way to GM collaboration, but would still make the better first project (of the two) - depending on coder overlap. Use of Feedback Notes leaves cut/paste and editing work all in the hands of the GM, but initial sorting, layout ideas, and data-entry (in the case of physical notes/sketches) could at least be handled by the co-GM. It would also allow players to add their information in the same way, encouraging their use and increasing the interactivity of the campaigns data set. This strikes me as more beneficial to more people then adding support for multiple GMs - from an end-user perspective. At the development level, multi-GM support might be more important for encouraging publishers to license their data sets (since they'll be entering their data: multiple people working in parallel might be highly desirable).

Is per-character reveal a precondition forFeedback Notes (coding decision)? That will slow down that track, and weight the decision on which path to follow first.

If Feedback Notes is the earlier priority, one useful addition would be to create a Co-GM account in name only (initially). Basically, slap an alternate tag on the account and recycle the code from the Player tag, add a Co-GM link wherever there's a Player link, etc., but give the Co-GM Feedback Notes a different color/border from the Player Feedback Notes. The real structure will presumably have to be developed at some point, but as an interim solution that might be worth pursuing even if actual Go-GM support ends up low on the priority list.
pyremius is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Hyos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8

Old January 18th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
uncalled for and supporting evidence of potential "bridge dweller".

This, leads me to think.... SO??? if you prefer a setup similar to Evernote, then feel free to use it and their forum to improve its use to your needs. As Parody pointed out earlier in this thread, does it have some redeeming features, sure, but that is not how Evernote nor RW software is designed nor implemented. Both have differing markets.

The only thing I see abundantly clear is your lack of communication / people skills. In the minimal posts you have to date have all been negative without offering anything that resembles constructive.

ant this has what to do with what?? a resume? Seriously, if you are not contributing to a solution, then you are part of the problem. Where in any of your posts are you contributing to a solution?, query?



IF you already "knew" then what is your point? The point of any forum is not to discuss what other dissimilar companies do, but how there can be improvements to what is being done pertaining to the software (in this case) being used here. AEIOU is EXACTLY right your comparison's only tying connection is the word "Database". I would suggest you make better use of everyone's time by reading more of the forum to determine its conversation and goals than to have 4 posts that makes you "Think" you are a defining authority as to what the software should do and how they should go about doing it.

Your current collection of "posts" lack constructive purpose and led me to believe "Me thinks there is a bridge without a resident".

DLG
I feel I have to adress this, as I am no troll (at least I hope I am not) but I do not shy from harsh truths often, and that is off-putting to people.

I felt I was accused of ignorance about Evernote's scope as a company and I responded, because I know their operation quite well, especially technically.
That is why all the rambling about Evernote is there. The list at the bottom is a footnote with the asterisk being used as a reference/hyperlink. Hope this was clear, I somehow feel it was not to you.

I have a lot of respect for what LWD have accomplished as a company and I happily pay for their products. I do the same with Evernote.

My constructive point is that to achieve the biggest (to me) improvements RW would have to go through a technical revolution. I have yet to see a statement that says this is totally out of the question. Even if it is out of the question, is this reason to not point it out at least? I know my words were harsh but I also feel a bit you are forbidding everyone to daydream what RW could be in the future because that would not be immediate contributing.

I accept that I could have expressed everything nicer, but this will not change my opinion about it.

Last edited by Hyos; January 18th, 2015 at 06:17 AM.
Hyos is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
Hyos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8

Old January 18th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Now you're gonna make me flag my own post. Yes, it was an insult. Yes, I'm ignorant. I'm glad you recognize the difference in magnitude between the companies in scope and size. Check the attitude.

I'm personally quite amazed with what 10 or so LWD folks have accomplished in a niche market with limited resources and a ton of IP constraints. I cannot even fathom what adding 450 or so more staff and some decent resources could do for them in general and RW in particular.

And I forgot, welcome to the forums.
You, sir, have way more class than I have, so thanks for your calm answer. I will try to bring my forum etiquette in check (no sarcasm, honest answer).

Last edited by Hyos; January 18th, 2015 at 06:00 AM.
Hyos is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Hyos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8

Old January 18th, 2015, 05:46 AM
To post something topic relevant, the idea by Viking2054 offers a solution for many of my wishes for RW without the need for full-fledged multiple-gm support and seems feasible. So it gets support from me, will post in the other topic too.
Hyos is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Parody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,335

Old January 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
As Parody pointed out earlier in this thread, does it have some redeeming features....
Just to be clear: I don't regularly use Evernote, OneNote, Keep, or any similar note organizing application, so in general I'm ignorant of their features. I was only referring to Evernote being able to create offline notebooks without an Internet connection, something that's been posted on these forums before.

Oddly enough, if you had normal file-based realms then you could collaborate easily by passing the file back and forth. (You couldn't both edit at the same time, of course. Every solution has its limitations.)

ObTopicSpur: As yet another software developer commenting from his cushy armchair, I will say is that it's easy to say something would be easy to do. Easy things often aren't, even when I'm the one who says so and then gets to implement it. ;)

Parody is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 698

Old January 18th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I feel I have to adress this, as I am no troll (at least I hope I am not)
Based on your response here, your probably not (as a "Troll" would not respond as you have). Often posts, emails , etc are a poor form of communication, because they lack voice inflection, body language and tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
but I do not shy from harsh truths often, and that is off-putting to people.
Nor am I, and like you, have no problem with calling out people. I was raised in a place (TEXAS) that silence is consent, and wont be silent simply because it's easier for other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I felt I was accused of ignorance about Evernote's scope as a company and I responded, because I know their operation quite well, especially technically.
That is why all the rambling about Evernote is there. The list at the bottom is a footnote with the asterisk being used as a reference/hyperlink. Hope this was clear, I somehow feel it was not to you.
Yea I "got that" and did note the asterisk, a simpler response / approach for those curious on Evernote (IMO) is simply add a link, and save the narrative. I for one found it less than useful since LW is simply not going to "start over" to make it "like Evernote" or any other program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I have a lot of respect for what LWD have accomplished as a company and I happily pay for their products. I do the same with Evernote.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
My constructive point is that to achieve the biggest (to me) improvements RW would have to go through a technical revolution.
It is, without mimicking other software. It is miles ahead (even in its current state) to any other campaign management software ever created. And I have used 99% of them. I (and probably a few others) are some of Rob & LWD harshest critics, but we are also some of their biggest fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I have yet to see a statement that says this is totally out of the question. Even if it is out of the question, is this reason to not point it out at least? I know my words were harsh....
harsh isn't the word I would select.. my words were "harsh" ... addressing someone like you responded below, this is simply "rude "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos
]I will take this as an insult (or proof of ignorance on your side)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
...... but I also feel a bit you are forbidding everyone to daydream what RW could be in the future because that would not be immediate contributing.
Not at all, Dream away... I do.. I long for the day of Herolab being live interactive, have the HP, conditions, everything update on the fly, have it auto-update to realm works, hell if were are DREAMING.. would it be grand to record sessions and realm works take that recording and transcript it into text that could then be subdivided into snipits...and on and on...

But then there is the reality..... of LW resources and time, of Software limitations, and of not totally re-inventing the wheel, but adding and improving what does exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos View Post
I accept that I could have expressed everything nicer, but this will not change my opinion about it.
Not trying to change your opinions, that is what a good fact based debate is for, just attempting to change how you express it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyos
To post something topic relevant, the idea by Viking2054 offers a solution for many of my wishes for RW without the need for full-fledged multiple-gm support and seems feasible. So it gets support from me, will post in the other topic too.
I agree
And as someone else wisely expressed....
Welcome to the Forum

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
McGray
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 23

Old January 23rd, 2015, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
I long for the day of Herolab being live interactive, have the HP, conditions, everything update on the fly, have it auto-update to realm works, hell if were are DREAMING.. would it be grand to record sessions and realm works take that recording and transcript it into text that could then be subdivided into snipits...and on and on...

DLG
Sounds like a Star Trek holodeck to me... or in a less evolved version: like a computer game.

Even though I like RW and its capabilities to help organize a complex game world, never ever would I take that "pen" and "paper" out of Pen & Paper roleplaying. For me this is an integral part of the experience and if we automate everything we could go right ahead and ply a computer game... I fondly remember they days when I was sitting in my room with dozens of books, notepades, pages with barely legible notes, miniatures, maps and dice to prepare for a game or recap the last one...

And o topic: I often work with a friend on games, so for me a multi-gm-option without too much hassle would be one of the more essential features

Last edited by McGray; January 23rd, 2015 at 12:23 AM. Reason: forgot the on topic part :D
McGray is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.