Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Toblakai

Old April 24th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Is there a way to link an encounter from the hero lab encounter library? Specifically thinking of RotRL and Giant slayers encounters.
Toblakai is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Save encounter to a portfolio in HL. Link the portfolio in RW.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old April 24th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks, figured that was the only way.

Realm Works should have the sub title:

"Busy Work for Geeks"
Toblakai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 25th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Hopefully, when the Content Market is released, adventures sold in the CM will come with the POR files already in the scenes.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 25th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Hopefully, when the Content Market is released, adventures sold in the CM will come with the POR files already in the scenes.
I don't know.. that makes the automatic assumption that a RealmWorks GM has HeroLab as well.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but it could be something like multiple versions, with and without embedded HeroLab content, are needed.

For publishers of adventures supporting multiple game systems (such as FrogGod Games or Kobold Press), a core "system agnostic" version is probably needed internally anyway.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 25th, 2016, 02:39 PM
The statblocks within the POR files can be viewed from within RealmWorks without requiring an external copy of HeroLab. So as an alternative to a basic statblock snippet it is quite feasible.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I think many GMs would still want a formatted statblock in-line with the text, but in either case, for those that don't have HL, they can just ignore the HL snippets. For existing HL it would be a huge value add and it may attract new buyers. I suppose they could release two versions, with and without, the HL snippets, but I don't see the point in that. Besides, RW already adds HL snippets to encounter topics by default, which implies that they would be including this data in the content released in the CM.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:25 AM
The only issue with HL snippets is that to open them in HL you probably need to own the prereq content -- i.e., Ultimate whatever, Advanced whatever, Bestiary number whatever. There will undoubtedly be threads started about a bait-and-switch from people that assume they have full access to this content from RW in HL.

Or I could be completely wrong and the RW content will open just fine in HL as long as you open from RW. That would be spiffy but completely unexpected.
AEIOU is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ThatOneMike

Old April 28th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I run Hero Lab on all of my Realm Works' PCs, so there may be something happening there I don't realize, but when I add a Hero Lab snippet and click it, I get nicely formatted stat blocks in the topic. It doesn't need to open Hero Lab. I assume the same could be done for Content Market.
ThatOneMike is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 28th, 2016, 03:08 PM
@ThatOneMike: Probably. At least I would hope that would be the case that you can view the stat blocks without HL on your computer.
AEIOU is offline   #10 Reply With Quote