Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Lanmalchior

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Hello and thanks for any help. I am new to the program and could only stand about 2 hours of reading and videos before I had to start tinkering, so I apologize if I missed something obvious.

I am copy and pasting some info from a pdf file and I am bolding some parts, indenting others by hitting [enter] to make sure it has a line break and then hitting the space bar twice.

I've also changed the font, and not to anything weird, just 11 point Times New Roman, by selecting individual parts and also but doing a ctl-A and changing it all. I've also tried dumping things into Notepad that I get from the pdf with a ctl-v and then doing doing a ctl-a, ctl-c to select all and copy it before pasting into RW.

Now when I save changes using ctl-E or by clicking on something out and choosing yes if it asks if I want to save, I see it revert back to previous fonts or unbolding, etc right before my eyes. It doesn't always seem to do it and while writing this I tried it a few times to see if I could give more info and it didn't do it, but when I copied a paragraph that was in Time New Roman 11 and tried pasting it into a new item (sorry, don't remember all the terms) it pasted with part of it in Tahoma 11 point, and some in Tahoma 9 point. *shrug* Weird!

Is there a way to set a default font type and size and why am I getting such odd results. It doesn't ruin by info, but it drives my OCD nuts. Thanks for any help.

I am running a clean install of Windows 10 I just installed 2 days ago, if that matters.
Lanmalchior is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lanmalchior

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:54 PM
OMG, I just went back to some of the things after creating a new item and things changed back again including fonts and indentations and a spelling error! I work under these crazy conditions. It's like OCD writer torture!
Lanmalchior is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Something is wrong here. This is not normal.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old January 27th, 2017, 09:01 PM
When i copy-paste from word it occasionally changes the fonts but not after i format it in RW...odd
ErinRigh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 27th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I almost always strip all formatting, convert to RW default of Tahoma and change to RW default font size. I've only experience stuff like you are experiencing when I try to paste formatted text into RW. Your mileage may vary.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 27th, 2017, 09:50 PM
I've had really bad results with pasting from PDF if I didn't strip all formatting first. What the op is describing sounds a lot like some of the stuff I dealt with back when I tried that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
lordarcheron

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:00 AM
I had those issues too and have noticed if the text has new lines with only CR (carriage return) or LF (line feed) it get messed up with formatting, but mostly CR as far as I remember.
If CR+LR are both present as a new line it works fine.
Many texts I have copied over CTRL+C has only CR or LF but not CR+LF.

The invisible paragraph for those is the symbol similiar to the Enter-Key at the keyboard. (Making a new line with SHIFT-Enter will show the same symbol too).
Try to change those new lines with a normal "enter".

I hope I am not completely wrong with that new line stuff. :-)
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline )
lordarcheron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old January 28th, 2017, 07:16 AM
If I may add something more, I'm not sure how RW stores spaces, but HTML rendering strips all spaces except 1. So if you are aligning stuff using spaces, that will probably not work.

For the formatting issue, I don't remember experiencing that. But I also strip all formatting when pasting from PDF, using the special paste (Ctrl+Alt+V) and using the Unformatted text as a single paragraph option.
jflevesque is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 28th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Come to think of it I practically never paste with formatting. My default option is to strip formatting. You can set default size and font in the settings then which applies to the whole realm.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 30th, 2017, 05:52 AM
I have had lots of weird issues with formatting in RW.

I always use the CTRL+ALT+V when pasting to strip all formatting to default.
Sometimes after I am done, I cannot actually apply any formatting to text, its greyed out. the entire ribbon. Even if I save it is still greyed out, I have to actually go to another topic, then back again, enable editing and then I can apply formatting.

My worst issue, which still happens is the formatting of text I did not highlight. I would have to video my work, every time to get it on camera, but essentially I have a screenie of what happened, which I can show.

I highlighted the red circled text "sleeping drug."
I then applied BOLD + RED TEXT formatting.
But the second red circle I show what was actually formatted.
The formatting was applied to the word "in", in a totally different snippet.
This happens from time to time, used to be so much I just auto corrected it on the fly. Now its rarer and catches me off guard.

This was after many saves, I apply formatting last, and I use it liberally:
RED TEXT + BOLD + UNDERLINE = trap, hostile entity, or something dangerous.

This helps GM see the dangers quickly in the topic.

PURPLE TEXT + BOLD + ITALIC = Item of value.

This helps high light them for the GM. This is especially great for stat blocks, where a GM might easily miss the magic items an enemy may posses or use on the party.
Attached Images
File Type: png Error Capture.PNG (47.3 KB, 20 views)

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; January 30th, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote